Multiples

Did being and eating healthy reduce your risk of premature labor?

My husband and I will be using a surrogate to help create our family. We have two embryos and it's the only 2 we will ever have of our own. So we are thinking really hard on whether we should take our chance and transfer both embryos to our surrogate, or do one now only to transfer our other embryo another time. The problem is that we are struggling with the idea of that we may not be able to afford to go thru surrogacy process second time around. So I'm doing so much research on the complications of twin pregnancies and the risk factors in case we decide to take our chances and transfer both. We would love to have twins, but I'm concerned of the complications that come with carrying twins. We have to also consider our surrogates health. So I'm doing some research and wondering what impact of the health of surrogate makes when carrying twins and any chance if it reduces the possibility of a premature delivery and/or non complicated delivery.

I have been doing a lot of reading on twins and premie statistics. I've read that the healthier the mom the less likely she will deliver before 37weeks. When I say healthy I'm referring to eating very healthy and doing prenatal yoga. Of course someone who has a healthy bmi below 35 with no health concerns, hasn't had any health issues such as previous pregnancy complications before, or doesn't have any minor blood clotting disorders or autoimmune issues of any kind. I've also read that that eating certain foods to help keep the inflammation in the body down plays a big role in triggering issues that can lead to premature complications.
I know it's really unpredictable and really just most likely by chance, but in curious to know if you can reduce the risk of premature labor. So I'm curious to know if there is anyone here who leads a healthy lifestyle that has had any complications with their pregnancies?

Re: Did being and eating healthy reduce your risk of premature labor?

• I am currently 32w3d with fraternal twins & am showing zero signs of preterm labor. My OB is pretty confident I will make it to at least 38 weeks. I have had no swelling, blood pressure issues, nor do I have gestational diabetes. I am also still working my job as an RN in a busy hospital (except I did cut back to 8 hour days). I was in good shape before I conceived, weighing 124lbs at 5'4". I have gained 35lbs so far & have been reassured that this is a perfectly healthy weight gain.
    As far as my eating habits go...they are getting better but honestly, I ate like craaaap during my first & second trimesters. You eat what sounds good. I'm not going to lie, there have been many fast food & pizzas in my past. I am now craving healthier foods, including lots of fruits. My saving grace was probably that I have always tried to only eat one crappy meal a day. So, if I eat a bad lunch, I eat a healthy dinner or vice versa. Also, I don't necessarily eat more than I did pre pregnancy. I do throw in a protein bar in the AM, but don't eat huge portions, as if eating for three. I also tend to eat a big bowl of yogurt with fruit, nuts & granola for lunch & then eat a normal dinner. I also don't eat "certain" foods nor to I avoid too much either (except the obvious like alcohol or raw foods). I also do not do prenatal yoga although I wanted to but didn't find a studio conducive to my schedule.
    Sorry for the tangent---I suppose my point is that yes, diet and pre pregnancy health probably impacts pre term labor to a certain degree; however, my best friend had twins four years ago & ended up with bad pre eclampsia. She was also in good shape pre pregnancy. If I were choosing a surrogate, health status would certainly be a driving factor for me. My thought is if someone doesn't take care of themselves now, why would they when they are pregnant? Too many people use pregnancy as an excuse to "let go".
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • I also drink lots of water ;)
    DH (41)-no MFI
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
  • Loading the player...
  • That's a really hard decision, I have no advice there. Before getting pregnant with my first set, I was very healthy. I hadn't eaten fast food in 10 years, my BMI was within athletic range and I ran 5 days a week. I was determined to have a healthy and fit pregnancy. Then hyperemesis hit me like a brick wall at 5 weeks. By 7 weeks, I was on zofran because I couldn't keep even water down. I lost 10lb that first trimester. By 20 weeks I was starting to wean from the meds but was still very sensitive to food but I was able to eat bland food. This is around the time my husband starting forcing me to drink a protein shake every morning. At 33 weeks I went into preterm labor, without warning. My boys were delivered at 36 weeks, 2 days after being released from bedrest. My whole pregnancy I gained 25lb since I was sick practically the whole pregnncy.... Which was way less than my goal (of 1lb per week). My boys were considered "big" even though I was underweight they weighed 5lb 9oz and 5lb 10oz. 

This pregnancy has been less intense, I actually started more fit and active (who wouldn;t be chasing around 3 year olds?!). I am able to go to the gym for a walk 1-2 times a week, but I take it easy since I've lost 4lb (I'm 8 weeks). I haven't yet vomited and I am med free, although barely eating. I'm hoping this time around it'll ease up after the first tri. 
    Fraternal twin boys born 1/12/12 at 36 weeks
    Identical twin girls expected in March! 
  • I should also add that my OB has told me that they aren't always 100% sure why preterm labor begins. It could be as simple as some women's bodies running out of space. And it sounds like @1krazykitty was very healthy pre pregnancy, and other than hyperemesis, didn't have any significant underlying health factors yet still went into preterm so who really knows!
    DH (41)-no MFI
  • Exactly @blsav23! I actually had a prenatal check up just two dats before I went into ptl, there were zero signs of it! It's all so unpredictalbe! 
  • Exactly @blsav23! I actually had a prenatal check up just two dats before I went into ptl, there were zero signs of it! It's all so unpredictalbe! 

I've heard so many stories of zero warning signs! All we can do is take care of ourselves, follow doctors recommendations & hope for the best!! I'm so glad all worked out for you & glad to hear this pregnancy has started out a little more smoothly :)
    DH (41)-no MFI
  • The scariest part it, I had NO idea it was preterm labor! Another twin mom convinced me to go get looked at. I was in labor for 2 days before going in, just thought my back was hurting and I was uncomfortable! So scary. Hopefully I can keep this set in as long! 
  • There is also research showing that taking baby aspirin (81 mg) and getting 1000 mg of calcium daily reduces the chances of pre eclempsia...
  • nanamp said:

There is also research showing that taking baby aspirin (81 mg) and getting 1000 mg of calcium daily reduces the chances of pre eclempsia...

Interesting! I took a baby aspirin every day (my RE put me on it while TTC) until my OB took me off of it a couple weeks ago. I also drink A TON of milk...like a half gallon every 1-2 days, so I think I'm good on my calcium! Maybe those things have contributed to my healthy pregnancy :)
    DH (41)-no MFI
  • I carried my twins to my scheduled due date at 38+1 weeks and had no complications. I wouldn't say I was the healthiest eater but i tried to eat lots of protein, and cut back on caffine and fast food. I was a huge sweets craver though so I gave into those and ate a lot of ice cream hah! I never did any yoga or real exercising during pregnancy, just taking walks. I think being healthy certainly helps but that doesn't mean preterm labor will always be avoided. Sometimes things just happen unexpectedly with twin pregnancies! That's a big decision, so good luck!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was VERY sick with my twin pregnancy, I gained 25 lbs the whole pregnancy - it was a real struggle for me to eat anything the whole time. I survived off of smoothies and bagels with cream cheese or peanut butter. The babies were both very healthy throughout my pregnancy but I developed preeclampsia quickly and they were delivered at 36 weeks via c section. My son was 6lbs 4oz and my daughter was 4lbs 6oz. They are both very healthy 4 month olds now. I don't think there is much you can do to prevent pre term labor, I think staying calm and trying to eat as much good food as you can is all you can do. Every pregnancy is so different. Good luck with your journey, twins are a lot of work but they really are a blessing.
  • I had incompetent cervix and have eaten super healthy for years. (Not bragging, I'm just very good with self control in that particular area, don't have a lot of cravings., etc) just trying to be honest. Anyway, I was about two weeks from losing them when we by chance discovered it and I was on STRICT bedrest the remainder of the pregnancy. I will say I had other hormonal imbalance signs from painful periods to some chin whiskers (no pcos though) and I believe IC can be tied to low progesterone. The babies and I were all super healthy otherwise. No gd preE etc. I ate the brewer pregnancy diet which I highly recommend.
    Married to my dream husband
    Mom to 2 year old BG twins (Incompetant cervix, cerclage, and LOTS of bed rest)
    Pregnant with our next!