February 2016 Moms
Options

UO

Re: UO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely not arguing with you @monkeybutt80! I completely agree. I just wanted to add that little piece because I was going between meetings at the time and forgot to add it, but saw my post was already quoted so it would look weird if I just ETA. I'm SO not eloquent with my wording so just needed to add a little more to get the point of (what I thought) the other side of the argument was.

As for the leggings thing, I personally make sure my bits are covered because it's my opinion it should be covered, but I'm not going to walk up to Joe Blow on the street and tell them to cover up because they could have an entirely different opinion on the matter and that's not wrong either. It's all personal preference.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    brushesnbrunch said: My UO, that I've been thinking about since last week - I don't think it's body shaming to say that I don't like a certain outfit, style or look. If I don't like the way it looks when someone wears leggings as pants, I don't think that I'm wrong for having that opinion. Or shirts that show a lot of cleavage or really short shorts (I actually like booty shorts, just not when you can see buttcheeks). I also don't like mother of the bride-type dresses that go way up past ones collar bone, gaucho pants, denim overalls. If I say that I don't like a certain look, and it happens to be one that shows more skin, I don't think that it is always body shaming. It's not body shaming to have that opinion.. It's body shaming when you take your opinion on it and confront whomever is doing what you don't like and tell them they can't/shouldn't wear it because it's going against your thoughts on the matter. At least that's how I took that argument anyway.

********************************************************************************************************************** Oh my gosh, I would never.  I took that conversation (and I don't even remember who said what, so I could be mushing more than one person's opinions together) was that it was body shaming to
    write it here, specifically on TB (or any public forum, I think one user said), that you don't like leggings as pants.  I mean, sharing opinions and information that we would NEVER share in public is kind of what we do here, right?   I'm not going to bring up my constipation or leaky boobs with even my girlfriends, usually, but I don't bat an eyelash when I see it here daily.  I feel like this place is opinion central and having a negative opinion about tight clothing doesn't necessarily mean that I think someone should be ashamed of their body.  (eta - geez formatting)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think I was the one who brought up body shaming/slut shaming last week. I don't think there's anything wrong with disliking an item of clothing just because you dislike it. But saying "I think X is inappropriate to wear in public because it doesn't fit MY standards of modesty" or "People who look like X shouldn't wear X" really gets into the territory of shaming. Historically, it's women's clothing choices that have been policed, mocked, and judged. I take issue with that. I think it's one short step from there to "She was assaulted? Well what was she wearing? And why was she walking alone at night?"

Please don't think that I'm saying ANYONE here would say anything like that. I don't believe that. I just think the issues are related and we should be careful when we judge what women wear. (And yes, I do understand that sharing UOs and, I suppose to an extent "judging people" is the point of this thread.)
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    My UO, that I've been thinking about since last week - I don't think it's body shaming to say that I don't like a certain outfit, style or look. If I don't like the way it looks when someone wears leggings as pants, I don't think that I'm wrong for having that opinion. Or shirts that show a lot of cleavage or really short shorts (I actually like booty shorts, just not when you can see buttcheeks). I also don't like mother of the bride-type dresses that go way up past ones collar bone, gaucho pants, denim overalls. If I say that I don't like a certain look, and it happens to be one that shows more skin, I don't think that it is always body shaming.

I guess it depends on why you don't like it.  I don't like culottes because I think they look weird on anyone, and you very well may dislike denim overalls or gaucho pants for the same reason.  But when it becomes offensive to me is if the clothing item someone dislikes is in direct relation to the person's body type.  I think modesty and tastefulness are relative and completely subjective, and the same outfit on one person may be perceived as tasteful because of their body type, and on another person, society may deem it inappropriate because of their body type.  I've pasted an example below of a Who-wore-it-best from US magazine.  Surprise!  Reese Witherspoone wins by 81%.  Kelly Clarkson gets a whopping 4%, and Kim Kardashian comes in at 14%.  Kim's breasts are just not going to fit in that dress in the same modest way as Reese's, and Kelly's fuller figure makes the dress bunch and look tighter.  Shown separately, a person might very well deem Kelly or Kim's dress inappropriate based on the way it fits their figures, but think that Reese's dress is perfectly appropriate.  This to me is a form of body shaming.  We can dissect women's clothing all we want (a skirt is slutty if it is shorter than X, heels are slutty if they are more than X inches high, etc.) but we typically make those determinations based on artificial or inconsistent factors.  And guess who we don't apply the same rules to? Men!  

So I agree that it's fine to dislike an item of clothing because of personal taste, like that clogs are ugly or overalls are tacky, I don't disagree with having an opinion on that, as long as it is not in relation to a woman's body.

I do. My husband is 6'5" with 36 inch waist and I will LAUGH at his face if he wears regular 36 inch waist shorts or pants without letting all the hems out, because they look ridiculous on him! But I would not laugh at someone who's 6 ft tall wearing the same shorts or pants. hmmm maybe I have been body shaming my husband.... 
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    My UO, that I've been thinking about since last week - I don't think it's body shaming to say that I don't like a certain outfit, style or look. If I don't like the way it looks when someone wears leggings as pants, I don't think that I'm wrong for having that opinion. Or shirts that show a lot of cleavage or really short shorts (I actually like booty shorts, just not when you can see buttcheeks). I also don't like mother of the bride-type dresses that go way up past ones collar bone, gaucho pants, denim overalls. If I say that I don't like a certain look, and it happens to be one that shows more skin, I don't think that it is always body shaming.

I guess it depends on why you don't like it.  I don't like culottes because I think they look weird on anyone, and you very well may dislike denim overalls or gaucho pants for the same reason.  But when it becomes offensive to me is if the clothing item someone dislikes is in direct relation to the person's body type.  I think modesty and tastefulness are relative and completely subjective, and the same outfit on one person may be perceived as tasteful because of their body type, and on another person, society may deem it inappropriate because of their body type.  I've pasted an example below of a Who-wore-it-best from US magazine.  Surprise!  Reese Witherspoone wins by 81%.  Kelly Clarkson gets a whopping 4%, and Kim Kardashian comes in at 14%.  Kim's breasts are just not going to fit in that dress in the same modest way as Reese's, and Kelly's fuller figure makes the dress bunch and look tighter.  Shown separately, a person might very well deem Kelly or Kim's dress inappropriate based on the way it fits their figures, but think that Reese's dress is perfectly appropriate.  This to me is a form of body shaming.  We can dissect women's clothing all we want (a skirt is slutty if it is shorter than X, heels are slutty if they are more than X inches high, etc.) but we typically make those determinations based on artificial or inconsistent factors.  And guess who we don't apply the same rules to? Men!  

So I agree that it's fine to dislike an item of clothing because of personal taste, like that clogs are ugly or overalls are tacky, I don't disagree with having an opinion on that, as long as it is not in relation to a woman's body.

I do. My husband is 6'5" with 36 inch waist and I will LAUGH at his face if he wears regular 36 inch waist shorts or pants without letting all the hems out, because they look ridiculous on him! But I would not laugh at someone who's 6 ft tall wearing the same shorts or pants. hmmm maybe I have been body shaming my husband.... 
    Your husband is TALL!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My UO is stemming from a conversation with H last night: he said that if he gets a new job where he's making more money I'm not getting an option, I WILL be a SAHM. My opinion on it is, if I wanna work, I don't care if we can afford for me to stay home I'm gonna work dammit! Really irritated right now he took my option away from me..

We have been having a similar conversation. My SO says things like, "I don't want our child in day care." And since he makes way more than me, that means I would be the one to stay home. Some days I think that I want to stay home (mostly because I hate my current job), but then other times it irritates the crap out of me and I tell him I'll work if I want to. Haha. Like you, I think my annoyance is just that I want to make sure he recognizes that it's MY choice whether I work or not. We'll see what happens... I don't know how I would realistically do as a SAHM long-term. I need my adult time.
  • Options
    @acuteangles his entire family is ridiculously tall including his brother's wife. I am only 5'4" on a good day. Family pictures are quite comical. 
    That family is also very proud of their height and it's ridiculous. I lost all respect and love for my FIL while I was pregnant with my first because he said "no grand child of mine will be shorter than 6 feet"; ok I guess he won't be your grandchild because there is a good chance he won't be tall because of me. The first thing he wants to know after my son's check ups are what percentile he is in height and weight and talks about how both my husband and his brother were always 99.9 percentile for height and weight.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    @acuteangles his entire family is ridiculously tall including his brother's wife. I am only 5'4" on a good day. Family pictures are quite comical. 
    That family is also very proud of their height and it's ridiculous. I lost all respect and love for my FIL while I was pregnant with my first because he said "no grand child of mine will be shorter than 6 feet"; ok I guess he won't be your grandchild because there is a good chance he won't be tall because of me. The first thing he wants to know after my son's check ups are what percentile he is in height and weight and talks about how both my husband and his brother were always 99.9 percentile for height and weight.
    Wow.  How sad to be proud of something you have no control over and to then have expectations like that for your children and grandchildren.  So sorry you have to deal with this.

• Options

pbtoast said:
    My UO is stemming from a conversation with H last night: he said that if he gets a new job where he's making more money I'm not getting an option, I WILL be a SAHM. My opinion on it is, if I wanna work, I don't care if we can afford for me to stay home I'm gonna work dammit! Really irritated right now he took my option away from me..
    We have been having a similar conversation. My SO says things like, "I don't want our child in day care." And since he makes way more than me, that means I would be the one to stay home. Some days I think that I want to stay home (mostly because I hate my current job), but then other times it irritates the crap out of me and I tell him I'll work if I want to. Haha. Like you, I think my annoyance is just that I want to make sure he recognizes that it's MY choice whether I work or not. We'll see what happens... I don't know how I would realistically do as a SAHM long-term. I need my adult time.
    It was totally out of the blue. We haven't discussed it yet because I figured it's not top priority yet, but every other time it has come up before we were even pregnant, we were both under the agreement that initially the plan is for me to go back to work after maternity leave. I guess since there's a chance he would be getting a new job where he would make stupid money for significantly less hours he thinks it's a no brainer, but still...I'd like to be included in the decision!

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    UO(?): I really hate the terms "basic bitch" and "basic white girl." Like somehow liking things that a lot of people like (fall, pumpkin, cozy sweaters, coffee? I don't even know what else) is worthy of ridicule? I just don't get it. And I don't even like all of those things, so it's not like I'm taking personal offense to being called either of the names, because I haven't been. It's just so weird to me.

Honestly I really wish we could remove the pejorative "bitch" from our vocabulary, especially when women are talking about themselves. But that could also be a UO. 
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options

In addition to the sick husband topic... I get SUPER annoyed when my hubs freaks out about every little scratch and bruise! I mean, every single time he gets even the tiniest of injuries he has to 1) yell or scream to get my attention 2) yell at who or whatever "caused" the accident 3) point out how awful it is to me, how bad it hurts, blah blah blah 4) pick, poke or squeeze it until it gets worse 5) get super hurt when I tell him he's over-reacting, and 6) continue to whine and complain about it for several days as if it is destroying his life.

I, on the other hand, can endure most injuries and be like, "oh that?, it's nothing"... that's if I even notice it.

Why are men such BABIES???

• Options
    @AdventureMama I've never even heard those phrases before. Who comes up with these things??

@jaimeruns my H's descriptors of his injuries are always eyeroll worthy. "I tore my finger open". No, you scratched you finger. Chill out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @kris10mac I feel for you girl! I hope he gets better FAST for you.
  • Options
    @jaimeruns this is an incredibly accurate description of how my H reacts to any minor injury. Plus continuing to wince/moan/whine loud enough to catch my attention every time he has to use that appendage again for the next 3 weeks...I'm aware the dog bruised your shin buddy, I don't need to be reminded of it for the rest of my life!
  • Options
    Haha the worst part is when he has nothing to blame it on and I'm the only one around so it's magically my fault. "Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry you slammed your finger in the door, it's totally my fault that I didn't open the garage first so you were distracted looking for the opener." or "my bad for not telling you to wear pants when doing construction so you wouldn't cut your leg". 
  • Options

VitaLuna said:

@AdventureMama I've never even heard those phrases before. Who comes up with these things??

@jaimeruns my H's descriptors of his injuries are always eyeroll worthy. "I tore my finger open". No, you scratched you finger. Chill out.

@VitaLuna probably the same people who came up with "Bae." My UO for the day, I hate the term "Bae" thats nails on the chalkboard to me; also, I hate the whole shortening of words (i.e. "fab, gorg, totes" etc. ) and here in so cal that vocabulary is still rampant
    I hope the opinion on "bae" isn't unpopular. When I first saw it I thought it was a typo and then had no idea how to pronounce such a made-up word
  • Options
    @jamieruns my H loves to overreact LOUDLY to little things. When we gray moved in together, I remember hearing him yell profanities from the kitchen. I imagined he'd cut a finger off or saw a rat or something. I ran in from the other room to see what was wrong---he dropped a spoon on the floor. :|
  • Options
    cantobean said:

@jamieruns my H loves to overreact LOUDLY to little things. When we gray moved in together, I remember hearing him yell profanities from the kitchen. I imagined he'd cut a finger off or saw a rat or something. I ran in from the other room to see what was wrong---he dropped a spoon on the floor. :|

Oh my gosh. This is my DH. He isn't a super complainer when he's sick (so thankful!) but he screams SO loud when one of the kids jumps on him, steps on his toe, bites his finger when teething, etc!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @mamacastro I immediately judge your (collective you) intelligence by how many of these types of words come up in your every day vocabulary.

There is a girl/lady I get report from on the phone all the time. I can't even take her seriously as a professional or trust her report because of how she talks.

• Options

UO(?): I really hate the terms "basic bitch" and "basic white girl." Like somehow liking things that a lot of people like (fall, pumpkin, cozy sweaters, coffee? I don't even know what else) is worthy of ridicule? I just don't get it. And I don't even like all of those things, so it's not like I'm taking personal offense to being called either of the names, because I haven't been. It's just so weird to me.

Honestly I really wish we could remove the pejorative "bitch" from our vocabulary, especially when women are talking about themselves. But that could also be a UO. 

I dislike the idea that if I like salted caramel flavoured things or cupcakes or sweaters and leggings that I only like them because they are trendy. They are not trendy they are just the good things in life. Pretty sure I have been enjoying cupcakes since I was a child.

When people feel the need to announce all over social media that "they are so over the [cupcake] trend" it drives me crazy.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Monkeybutt80 my husband is 6'5" too! He grew like four inches the summer before his junior year. Nobody else is tall in his family. It's weird. I'm 5'5".
  • Options

I dislike the idea that if I like salted caramel flavoured things or cupcakes or sweaters and leggings that I only like them because they are trendy. They are not trendy they are just the good things in life. Pretty sure I have been enjoying cupcakes since I was a child. When people feel the need to announce all over social media that "they are so over the [cupcake] trend" it drives me crazy.
    YES! Exactly this. Maybe I like the things I like, and they're "trendy" because I have good taste. haha

@vitaluna: I can't believe you haven't heard those phrases. I feel like they're everywhere in the fall especially. Found these on Google to give you examples:

Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    I went to a friend's house for brunch recently. She has two cats and a dog. I found all three animals' hair in the food she served us. I can't do any hair in my food (even my own!). I just shut down. I'm never eating there again. If it's a problem, please just invite me to a restaurant instead!

• Options
    NoelBird said:

I hate when I go to a friend's house with pets when their owners ignore their pet assaulting me. I dont want your 50 pound dogs jumping on me or sticking their nose in my crotch the entire time. I understand it is their home but you need to offer your guests courtesy too. I avoid some peoples houses just because of this.

Ugh, yes! I am not a dog person, generally. I hate when they lick me, I hate when they jump on me, they make me nervous when my kid is around (my friend's toddler was recently viciously attacked by a large dog who was supposedly super friendly and grew up around kids). The worst is when they're jumping on you or sniffing your crotch and when you tell them to stop or push them away, the owner gives you a dirty look like you're in the wrong. Uhh. No. Control your dog. That's just rude.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    NoelBird said:
    I hate when I go to a friend's house with pets when their owners ignore their pet assaulting me. I dont want your 50 pound dogs jumping on me or sticking their nose in my crotch the entire time. I understand it is their home but you need to offer your guests courtesy too. I avoid some peoples houses just because of this.
    YES. I'll be as polite about it as possible while I'm there, but I might not come back.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

NoelBird said:

Ugh, yes! I am not a dog person, generally. I hate when they lick me, I hate when they jump on me, they make me nervous when my kid is around (my friend's toddler was recently viciously attacked by a large dog who was supposedly super friendly and grew up around kids). The worst is when they're jumping on you or sniffing your crotch and when you tell them to stop or push them away, the owner gives you a dirty look like you're in the wrong. Uhh. No. Control your dog. That's just rude.
    My UO opinion is that I don't trust people who don't love dogs ;)
    Haha! I don't hate dogs, and I am looking forward to when we can have one (I'd like our kids to be older). I really like calm, quiet, older, bigger dogs. Small yippy dogs annoy me and dogs that aren't well trained and jump on me and can't get their nose out of my crotch are horrible.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options

NoelBird said:

Haha! I don't hate dogs, and I am looking forward to when we can have one (I'd like our kids to be older). I really like calm, quiet, older, bigger dogs. Small yippy dogs annoy me and dogs that aren't well trained and jump on me and can't get their nose out of my crotch are horrible.
    Ok I'll give you nose in crotch - that's awkward!
    I love dogs but some big ones can scare me - like I know pit bulls can be really lovable when treated well, but I can't help feel a little nervous around one... Thinking they can kill me if they wanted to

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

NoelBird said:

Ok I'll give you nose in crotch - that's awkward!
    I love dogs but some big ones can scare me - like I know pit bulls can be really lovable when treated well, but I can't help feel a little nervous around one... Thinking they can kill me if they wanted to
    Yeah like I said in one of my previous comments, my friend's daughter was attacked a few weeks ago at a work picnic. The dog took out chunks of her thigh and broke several ribs and did some other damage. It was a terrifying experience for all of them. And from a dog that has children in his family and has been docile his entire life. The owners were completely shocked. Even great dogs can get startled or scared and really hurt someone. It made me really rethink how to teach DS to approach dogs. It hasn't really been an issue yet but I'm sure it will be soon as he is in the stroller less and less.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    I love dogs and own three of them but the only dog I trust is my pug. She's been with me 10 years and doesn't have a violent bone in her body. The other 2( golden retriever and mutt) are rescues and even though they've been with me years, I put them in the kitchen if my friends bring kids over. I have a few friends who want their children to play with the dogs and don't understand why I'm never comfortable with it.