August 2015 Moms
Options

The Windi: Warning!

I got really excited about the Windi after seeing so many of yall swear by it because I've watched my poor LO strain with what I thought was gas. I ordered a pack on Amazon yesterday, eager for it to arrive. Today, I decided to do some internet research on the device and I found this article: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-windi-revolutionary-relief-for-colic-or-a-pain-in-the-butt/

I just thought I should share this since so many of us are/were going to use the Windi. I'm pretty reluctant to use it and may send it back now. Please don't think I'm out to attack anyone using the product (because I seriously like the posters who recommended it!!!). I'm just sharing what I found, though this article isn't very forgiving.

Also, this article (https://www.aboutkidsgi.org/site/lower-gi-disorders/childhood-defecation-disorders/infant-dyschezia) explains a ton of my LO's behavior. I noticed she always strained and cried before farting or pooping, and I always thought it was gas pain. Now I know it's something she can grow out of.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
DD: Aug. 15
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The Windi: Warning!

• Options
    Wow. Thanks! This is good to know.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been wavering in the Windi for weeks but something about sticking a plastic device in my baby's rectum seemed wrong. Thanks for posting this, I'm glad I opted out! Thankfully I've found something else that really helps her.
  • Options
    irohspupilirohspupil member
    edited September 2015
    Kimk1616 said:

I have been wavering in the Windi for weeks but something about sticking a plastic device in my baby's rectum seemed wrong. Thanks for posting this, I'm glad I opted out! Thankfully I've found something else that really helps her.

Do share! :)

ETA: just saw your comment on the Gas Recommendations thread that gas drops work for your LO.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
  • Options
    micshi said:

Kimk1616 said:

Do share! :)

ETA: just saw your comment on the Gas Recommendations thread that gas drops work for your LO.
    Not just any gas drops...Tummy Calm! I think I'm going to buy stock in them.
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm considering returning mine now. Seems pointless
  • Options
    Well if gas in the rectum doesn't cause pain like the article states, then releasing the gas in the rectum really seems as if it wouldn't help, and is definitely a waste of money.

I'ma keep my nose Frida though 8->
  • Options
    Well if gas in the rectum doesn't cause pain like the article states, then releasing the gas in the rectum really seems as if it wouldn't help, and is definitely a waste of money. I'ma keep my nose Frida though 8->

One of the reasons I question the validity of the article (not familiar with them as a source, so I don't know how legit they are), because trust me, the Windi has DEFINITELY relieved pain for my DD. I am talking screaming and straining for long periods to quiet, content, looking around while still on the changing pad. So either it does cause pain, or it has been one hell of a coincidence that she settled each time we have used it.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Miz_Liz said:

Well if gas in the rectum doesn't cause pain like the article states, then releasing the gas in the rectum really seems as if it wouldn't help, and is definitely a waste of money.

I'ma keep my nose Frida though 8->

One of the reasons I question the validity of the article (not familiar with them as a source, so I don't know how legit they are), because trust me, the Windi has DEFINITELY relieved pain for my DD. I am talking screaming and straining for long periods to quiet, content, looking around while still on the changing pad. So either it does cause pain, or it has been one hell of a coincidence that she settled each time we have used it.

I don't doubt it works. Honestly, I've heard great reviews about it. But as you stated, there will always be negative reviews as well. After just a brief Google search, this is just one of many articles advising against its use. I'm just now researching as I just received the windi from Amazon and haven't had the time. It really is all about what you're comfortable with. Also, after careful discussion with my pedi she also didn't recommend it to me-so that takes precedence over the article since as you stated the source is unknown (to me).

We're all just trying to do what's best for our babies. No judgements here.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @CaliforniaDream87 I completely agree, you have to do what you're comfortable with and equally as important IMO do exactly what you did and ask your pedi. Do you mind me asking if your pedi gave a reason against? I ask because mine was okay with it.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I cringe just watching the doctor stick the thermometer up his bum. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable sticking a plastic thing up his butt and not really sure what I'm doing or if I'm causing any damage.
    Not judging as I haven't dealt with any real major gas issue but I definitely agree with going over it with your ped. Before purchasing or using.

• Options
    My pediatrician said to only use it if absolutely necessary. But prefers trying everything else first to relieve gas. (ie. Bicycles, warm bath, massage, etc.) He said at this age they are using their muscles to poop or relieve gas and that they can begin to rely on anal stimulation to do these things and not have proper muscle development.