July 2015 Moms
Options

Book reading

i would love to incorporate story time with a book into our bedtime routine, but my baby seems completely uninterested and will fuss if I start. He's 8 weeks old now. He does better with singing, which I do. Was wondering if anyone has had success with reading books this early and how you do it.

Re: Book reading

• Options
    We read during the day when she is up and in my lap, or I'll read when we breastfeed. I'd love to do story time at night, but when my little girl is tired, she gets overstimulated very easily with anything more than cuddles. Hopefully, we'll be able to do a bedtime story when she's a little older.
  • Options
    Yup, I read to her in the womb and I read to her when was first born. She's not completely into it, like the pictures and textures and stuff BUT she loves to hear my husband and I voice. So even though your baby might not seem so much into it. Try just talking to your baby :) you are already singing and I think that's great :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We read during the day along with our older kids, I think LO would definitely fuss at bed time. I prop her up on the Boppy and read to all 3, she seems to like it.
  • Options
    I read to him at our bedtime routine. He doesn't seem to pay attention lol but I keep going til he fusses
  • Options
    I was reading to my baby while she was in the womb and started again around week 4. I read to her at night while she's breastfeeding (usually last feed for the evening usually around 8-9). I tell her that I'm going to read a bedtime story to her, sometimes she fusses and other times she stares at me and occasionally coos.

I would suggest continue reading to your baby and sing which you already do ( your voice is soothing to your baby).
  • Options
    My 5 week baby loves when I read to her. I try to keep a very soft, light voice while reading. We read a story book every night and she falls asleep in my arms. I also read board books to her during the day so she can look at the pictures with me.
  • Options
    My 8 week old has pretty good head control so I put him in my lap facing out and read. He's over it after 1 book but he looks at the pictures and seems interested. I also read during tummy time.
  • Options
    We read every night at bedtime. Either I read while DH gives a bottle or DH reads while I breastfeed. LO isn't super interested most night, but he doesn't fuss or anything so we do it to keep the same bedtime routine. We will definitely continue to do so every night and during the day when he's more interested. You could try to sing the book.
  • Options
    @njteach0414 as a kindergarten teacher myself I agree
  • Options
    I'm a first grade teacher and reading to baby is great but talking to them is really what is helping them right now develop language. So reading, singing or just talking are all beneficial. I don't read to baby everyday but she has books and sees me reading with my 6 year old. He always gets a bed time story. I think you have time to develop a reading routine if it's not working right now. Don't worry just enjoy LO.
  • Options
    @njteach0414 as a kindergarten teacher myself I agree