July 2015 Moms
Options

Baby fussing at breast, help!

for the past week my 2 month old baby is fussing, crying at breast. Not at every feeding but it seems to be getting worse. She especially does it when she is tired and she is fighting naps lately. I don't know what to do. It is breaking my heart that she is not feeding well. She also had a dairy/soy protein intolerance do I've cut that out of my diet for about a month now. I don't know if she is overtired and that's why she's crying at breast or if it's gas?? She pulls off and I see milk spraying so I don't think it's low supply. I have a 6 year old son and I feel like BFing is taking all my time...I'm considering switching to formula but that breaks my heart as well. I miss focusing on my son and have been crying about this the past two days. Any advice??

Re: Baby fussing at breast, help!

• Options
    It might be a forceful letdown, I have the same problem, and got so bad that I'm only pumping now, shes starting to refuse my breast. Would love to get some advice as well!
  • Options
    I was going to say, sounds like an overactive letdown. Milk may be coming out too fast for her to keep up. I'm dealing with the same thing. My LC suggested a couple things:

1) A nipple shield can slow the flow down a bit

2) Nursing in a reclined position with LO basically on top of you. Gravity will naturally slow the flow.

3) When you see/feel a letdown coming, you can remove baby and hand express milk into a burp cloth. When the flow slows down, relatch baby.

4) Side laying feeding. This allows baby to let the extra milk dribble out of their mouth until the letdown slows.

Good luck, mama! Hopefully one of these things helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a FTM so this is all new to me but when I notice my son crying at the breast I pause and burp him and it most of the time he lets out a large burp and then will latch back and stop crying. He is 4 weeks now and I noticed this about 2 weeks ago but maybe I have an overactive let down as well.
  • Options
    I been having the same senerio with my baby for the last two weeks i would say, i thought it was just a phase but after reading different coversations here i do think i have overactive let down as well since besides the crying she chokes and caughs so i started trying different feeding ways #2 and 4 as carleyec93 mentioned, also if i feed her while i am sitting i hold my breast as if i was lifting it from the bottom with my hand that way it does not hang and it has helped alot. Today feedings were alot better no crying and her feedings lasted longer and i see her satisfied.