3rd Trimester

Castor oil thoughts at 38 weeks??

gkaur89gkaur89 member
edited September 2015 in 3rd Trimester

Re: Castor oil thoughts at 38 weeks??

• Loading the player...
  • I had a friend try Castor oil and she said it was the worst experience ever. She took it and it made her miserable for 72 hours and she didn't actually go into labor until a week later. Castor oil can start contractions, but they won't be productive contractions until baby is ready to come out. It will probably just make you more miserable. Just try to be positive and patient because you are so close. 
  • Don't do it, you could do more harm to your unborn baby and your insides then anything !! The last few weeks of pregnancy are always miserable no matter who you are... But it'll soon be over. I wouldn't try to rush the baby before babys ready, it can lead to a c section !
  • Only if you want to crap your brains out. You don't have much farther til you are actually term, your kids brain is developing right now, best to let that continue to happen.
  • Bad idea.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Castor oil is a laxative. No. Just no.
  • I didn't know it would be so bad, everywhere I had read people had commented about all these success stories. I'm glad I asked and didn't take any. Anyone know any other ways of helping speed up labor? I'm at the point now where I'll try just about anything that's considered safe.
  • gkaur89 said:

I didn't know it would be so bad, everywhere I had read people had commented about all these success stories. I'm glad I asked and didn't take any. Anyone know any other ways of helping speed up labor? I'm at the point now where I'll try just about anything that's considered safe.

You aren't even full term yet. If your body was ready you would be in labor. Just relax you literally know you won't be pregnant much longer and at least getting to term is best for you and baby.

• gkaur89 said:

I didn't know it would be so bad, everywhere I had read people had commented about all these success stories. I'm glad I asked and didn't take any. Anyone know any other ways of helping speed up labor? I'm at the point now where I'll try just about anything that's considered safe.

As PP have said, you're not even full term yet. Your baby needs to come on its own time unless your doctor has legitimate medical reason to induce. Your discomfort is not a good enough reason to rush baby out. Suck it up, buttercup. It'll be over soon enough. You signed up for 40+ weeks. Let your baby finish developing.
  • Do NOT use Castor oil. It is a laxative and can cause baby to have its first bowel movement, something that you do not want to have happen if possible. A baby swallowing meconium can cause pulmonary hypertension as well as other issues. If you don't want baby to possibly in the NICU then stay away.
  • Don't do it sister girl.  Baby will come when baby is ready. 
  • gkaur89 said:
    YOU AREN'T FULL TERM YET. Your child's brain and lungs are still developing. You'd rather try to get your baby out early instead of letting them develop and come on their own, because you're a little uncomfortable? Give me a break.
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • Bailey1823ABailey1823A member
    edited September 2015
    I'm almost 41 weeks and have tried everything but I would never consider castor oil. I can't even believe you would at 38 weeks 3 days. Wanna talk discomfort. Try having contractions for weeks that have done little to change your cervix. Also I was still working 12 shifts for a total of 36 hours a week as a L&D nurse during our busiest months. I would never compromise mine or babies health because I am uncomfortable. And this is coming from someone who's first baby was nine days early. It's just not worth it. Let baby cook.
  • Seriously people give me a break! If some of you bothered reading I said I would try anything that was "safe" never once did I say I'll do anything at all. I work 12-16 hours a day and I take care of my husbands parents who are Ill, so if I'm bitching then I think I have the right.

All I asked were for some words of advice not for some of you to vent out on me.

Those of you that did provide your honest opinion, thank you, I do appreciate it. But to the others, maybe you should give me a break! Thanks!

Oh and btw, I did go for my check up today and they are going to induce me in a couple of days because of my blood sugar and high blood pressure, so the sarcasm and negativity- keep it for yourself, some of us are not fortunate enough to have a pleasant pregnancy; we actually do have complications.
  • I think people are just concerned. If you are having such a hard pregnancy and already so many health problems it doesn't sound like adding more fuel to the fire is a good idea. I also know for myself there are tons of women on here talking about how they are sore and tired and done wth being pregnant just like everyone else. Trying to make baby come faster with something that eapecially can be harmful is just not a good idea and we should all be waiting and not trying to rush things unless the doctor is the one doing it and monitoring what's going on.
  • gkaur89 said:
    Seriously people give me a break! If some of you bothered reading I said I would try anything that was "safe" never once did I say I'll do anything at all. I work 12-16 hours a day and I take care of my husbands parents who are Ill, so if I'm bitching then I think I have the right. All I asked were for some words of advice not for some of you to vent out on me. Those of you that did provide your honest opinion, thank you, I do appreciate it. But to the others, maybe you should give me a break! Thanks! Oh and btw, I did go for my check up today and they are going to induce me in a couple of days because of my blood sugar and high blood pressure, so the sarcasm and negativity- keep it for yourself, some of us are not fortunate enough to have a pleasant pregnancy; we actually do have complications.
    But wasn't everyone talking about castor oil?  
  • Bailey1823ABailey1823A member
    edited September 2015
    Just to let you know I am sure many of us who gave you good advice about castor oil (since that is what you asked about ) haven't had picture perfect pregancies either. I know I surely haven't. Try being sick for over 20 weeks and barely being able to stand due to dehydration and the inability to keep anything down for 2 weeks straight while still managing to work with laboring women. Or trying having hip, pelvic and siatic nerve pain for months while trying to help moms birth their babies. This pregnancy has been very hard and I think it's unfair to assume none of us had it rough either because we gave you advice about a controversial method of inducing out of concern. Or maybe that is just me who feels that way. Good luck on you induction momma.

Edited: due to autocorrect and for clarity
  • gkaur89 said:

Seriously people give me a break! If some of you bothered reading I said I would try anything that was "safe" never once did I say I'll do anything at all. I work 12-16 hours a day and I take care of my husbands parents who are Ill, so if I'm bitching then I think I have the right.

People did bother reading because what they told you was that self-inducing labor is NOT safe at 38w. But you're choosing to ignore that advice. It wasn't until several posts later that you gave medical reasons of why you would be induced early (high bp, etc). The people here are not mind readers.

• gkaur89 said:

I don't think I would have posted this comment if I was not concerned about my baby. Yes I've had a lot of issues with the pregnancy but I had asked for people's opinion on the product and the result of it, not to judge me and tell me how horrible of a person I am. If I'm not mistaken, this is a place where people go to ask questions and hope to get answers/advice.

I'm not looking for any sympathy from the sympathy gods, my original post had simply asked if anyone had tried this or knew anyone who had. It asked for people's opinion. If I wasn't concerned about my child then I think I would have just taken the substance and worried about it later, I wouldn't spend so much time trying to research on it.

People, all I wanted to know what what you guys felt about the product, not once did I mention anywhere that I'm going to use it, not once did I mention that I have used it or even thought about buying it yet. All I wanted to know we're your personal views.

Thank you all for attacking me like I'm some wild animal but that is not at all what this post was about. I am being medically induced on Saturday, I still want to be able to start labor without the use of medications and that was my original concern about what can I do to try natural stuff.

I'm sorry for lashing out but in my defense, I just wanted to do what was safe at the end of the day, I had realized that and hence I replied as quoted above.

Thank you all for your replies and hopefully they can end now as there really isn't much more to say here. I hope to see my beautiful baby soon and wish you all the best out there!
  • I did it twice and it worked for me both times. I also worked on my feet the whole.time so that may have given me different outcomes. But it wasn't that horrible,I did go into labor and I didn't crap on the table since I was already cleaned out. Good luck
  • It sounds weird but eating ice and also going on walks.