October 2015 Moms
Options

Golden hour.

So I've heard the golden hour is important. With my first the first hour was filled with meeting family and a bath and shots and blood draw. I nearly failed with breastfeeding him. What is supposed to happen in the golden hour. Am I supposed to put him to my breast the minute he comes out!? Help me

Re: Golden hour.

• Options
    SMGoodlettSMGoodlett member
    edited August 2015
    I'm a FTM so I'm still learning, but I believe the golden hour is suppose to just be quiet bonding time. Baby is given to mama to hold, and snuggle. I know some moms ask to have the lights dimmed and any extra people leave the room. Unless there is a medical worry, baby is just left alone with mom and dad to soak in being a new family.

Less distractions, no extra people crowding for attention etc. besides, you just birthed that precious one, you deserve to spend time together before family crowds in. (Unless you want family there, that's different!)

EDIT for autocorrect. My phone thinks the word "just" should be hair.
  • Options
    My last one I got a golden hour. I held him skin to skin and he nursed for basically the entire hour.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    VioletandRoseVioletandRose member
    edited August 2015
    From what I understand (just based on what my hospital has told me), the nurses will make the magic hour happen. (Although every hospital is different, so check with yours.) Basically they will put the baby on your bare chest and let him lay there for an hour, uninterrupted. They'll rub him down to get blood flowing, but not wash him or do any procedures. They say that the baby will migrate to your nipple on his/her own. There are videos on youtube of this happening, where the baby just kind of crawls to the nipple and latches on using their instinct. Obviously this won't happen with everyone, and the point is not solely for breastfeeding, but for general bonding. I was told there are scientific studies that show babies who are given the magic hour have a much easier time breastfeeding than babies who were taken away and placed in a warmer for even 5 minutes.
  • Options
    I've also heard that it helps babies regulate their temperature, and breathe easier with mom. Which would make sense to me-they're going to recognize mom and feel safe there.
  • Options
    From what I have learned in the classes (another FTM here) you are the best heater for your baby, your breasts especially know exactly what temperature the baby needs to be at. Nursing immediately is encouraged, this will help your uterus contract to deliver the placenta as well as help prevent extra bleeding. This is just time for mom and baby (and partner to be with you too) to bond. I hadn't heard that it was called the golden hour. I know where I am birthing, they won't let any visitors come until that hour is over.
  • Options
    It pretty much takes an hour to get situated after they're born. They weighed him and took his apgar, but after that, I held him skin to skin, DH did it, and we tried nursing a little bit. They were delivering my placenta, stitching me up, cleaning up, etc while all this was going on. The hour passes quickly and family still got to come see him. It didn't feel rushed. Like pp said, the nurses just kinda make it happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker