Trouble TTC
Options

Femara side effects

If you've taken Femara when did you notice the side effects?

I'm on CD17 (4dpo) and I've been super emotional the last few days and I'm wondering if it is from the Femara? It's been 10 days since I finished taking it (3-7) and other than feeling full/achey in my lower abdomen I didn't notice any change in mood. I thought if I was going to have any side effects they would have happened while I was taking the meds or within a few days of finishing them.

Me (26) Him (27)
Dx PCOS November 2010
21 cycles TTC
HSG April 2015 - all clear!
May 2015 - 5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN
June 2015 - 7.5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN

Re: Femara side effects

• Options
    I had some similar effects however o was also on injections of Purgon also, so I'm not sure the root cause of the emotional upheaval. Another thought could be if your body isn't used to ovulating it could be natural hormones from that. I have had two femara cycles, one I ovulated with and the second I didn't. The first my moods were like a roller coaster and the second I was more myself. Just a thought?
  • Options
    tiffk10tiffk10 member
    Thanks for the insight @Boogaloou I normally ovulate on my own but my RE thinks it may be weak ovulation so maybe that's contributing? Stronger O leading to an increase in hormones?

Me (26) Him (27)
    Dx PCOS November 2010
    21 cycles TTC
    HSG April 2015 - all clear!
    May 2015 - 5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN
    June 2015 - 7.5 mg Femara cycle days 3-7 BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KLake42KLake42 member
    My joints ache.  Fingers, wrists, feet, ankles, knees, and hips.  That's listed as a possible side effect, along with "bone ache."  Before I experienced it, I wasn't sure what that meant-- now I do.  Exercise makes it worse, which is frustrating, because exercise usually helps with regular muscle pains for me.

It's not excruciating, not even severe.  It's just a mild, dull ache, but everywhere and all the time, so it bothers me.

I also have to "eat gently," which is to say, smaller meals, easy on the sugary and fried stuff.  If I eat healthy, I'm fine.  Otherwise, indigestion hits fast and hard.  I admit that this one could just be the stress of TTC, though.  But it hit me about when I started femara.

The aching joints stopped when I went off it.  I just took my last dose for this cycle yesterday, hoping I'll feel better tomorrow.

As for feeling emotional-- that's happening, but not as much as it did when I was on progesterone, or the day after the trigger shot.  I'm not sure if it's femara, or again, just the stress of TTC.  It's very easy for my emotions to go haywire, so it could just be stress.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    littlebeeshlittlebeesh member
    edited June 2015
    This is my first round, but I took Femara 5mg/ day last week cd 3-7.

Initially headache and dizziness. Then came the joint aching and fatigue. Then mild to not so mild cramping. Then came the terrible mood swings. Like "I want to tear your face off but one minute later cry at the PETA commercial and then 5 minutes later get all emo because my DH stroked my cheek." mood swings...

Lasted a whole week. Now just waiting.
  • Options
    This is my 3rd month taking Femara and the only symptoms I've noticed is hot flashes and my hair falls out terribly!! My poor DH is struggling with keeping the drain unclogged :-<