Breastfeeding
Options

First time breastfeeding...

I am getting ready to have my 2nd child and I was wanting to breastfeed.. what all should I stay away from & is it hard to breastfeed? I'm a little scared I won't be able to do it the correct way..

Answers

• Options
    Hi! I would recommend getting the book "Breastfeeding Made Simple." It was a really good basic resource for me. Also take a breastfeeding class and get in touch with a certified lactation consultant after you give birth! It's a different journey for everyone! It took me and my LO 2 1/2 weeks before I felt like we really started to get the hang of it. It can be really hard, but for some women it's easy! Hope that helps a little.
  • Options
    Joining your local La Leche League group for meetings before you give birth is always a great time investment, you will meet knowledgable leaders who can help you successfully breastfeed and also a community of moms in your area. Reading the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is also a great resource, most libraries have a copy or your LLL chapter will too. Because of the vast amount of information that needs to be covered, there is no way one post will give you all the information you need. Breastfeeding is not always easy, but it's totally worth the effort, it can be a bit daunting at first especially not knowing what your doing, but getting the right type of support from your SO, your LLL group, and the hospital LC, can make all the difference.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't be afraid to ask for help. Ask the delivery and postpartum nurses for help. Ask the hospital LC to visit and get her contact info. Make an appointment with a LC if you feel necessary. If there are challenges, it is best to fix it in the beginning.