Preemies

34 weeks with pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome

I just wanted to introduce myself to the board. I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 24 weeks. My meds worked at first, but then I kept ending up at the hospital with bp spikes, headaches, blurred vision, etc.
At that point, my dr put me on weekly NSTs with the hopes to make it to 37 weeks. I had a bad episode on July 1st so they gave me two rounds of a steroid shot to develop her lungs. On the 4th of July, I developed what I thought was a stomach virus. The day afterwards I felt like someone was constantly jabbing me with a knife in my neck, chest, and upper back. Nothing helped! I then had my weekly NST on July 6th. They did bloodwork and discovered that my platelets had dropped in half and my liver enzymes had increased compared to the week prior. I had developed HELLP syndrome and the only thing to do was deliver!
I had my beautiful daughter, Anna Lisa, by emergency c-section at 1:13 PM on July 6th(exactly 34 weeks!). She weighed 3 lbs & 13 oz and was 16 3/4 inches long! She was much smaller than we expected, but weight has been her only issue so far! Hopefully we'll get to bring her home in a week or 2!
I've been pumping since the 1st night, so I've also been able to give her a little bit of breastmilk.

Re: 34 weeks with pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome

• Sounds like a rough road but congrats on your little one! I hope her health continues to stay well and that you are home with a healthy baby in no time. I had my twins at 34 weeks after a bout with severe preeclampsia. My DD was 3lb 11oz at birth and DS was 4lb 13oz. We spent 19 & 25 long days in the NICU but both are home now and doing well. Hang in there - it can be tough with a preemie at times but it sounds like you are pretty strong with all you've already been through!
  • Thank you!!! She should be coming home this weekend! She'll be going in an open crib today or tomorrow. As long as she can maintain her body temp for a few days, then they'll let her go home this weekend!!! I'm so excited and proud of her!
  • Loading the player...
  • I just delivered at 24 weeks because of sudden eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. I had never even heard of it until they were telling me I had to deliver. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose experienced this!
  • Sorry for the delayed response!! My daughter came home July 21st after 15 days in the NICU! She's 7 weeks old now and did great the 1st few weeks. Last week she was in the hospital for an upper respiratory infection. She's gotten better, but still has problems with congestion which stops her breathing. Very scary! We also found out today she has an umbilical hernia, which should go away on its own.
    But on a good note, she's finally in newborn sized clothes and weighs almost 7 lbs now!

Congrats @mamagottsch!
  • I'm currently mid induction, 33 weeks + 3. My first high blood pressure reading was two days ago and my diagnosis of preeclampsia came with a trip to L&D yesterday. With the number of high readings in 2 hours, they've decided it's time to deliver, even though they've only squeezed one lung-developing steroid on board. We know based on yesterday's ultrasound that he's going to be only around 4lb, but praying for a strong outcome. No risk factors or previous indicators of this. I am absolutely terrified!!
  • @chansleyk my son was born at 34 weeks due to severe pre-e and crazy bad bp. He was only 2 lbs 13 oz, but has breathed on his own from the first second and his only health issue was a few days under the jaundice lights. He's coming home Monday or Tuesday at just under 4 weeks old. The only reason he hasn't left already is because he wasn't four pounds yet! Your little one will do great!
  • My son was delivered at 33w5d due to sudden and severe preeclamsia. He was 4lb, 8oz and 19 inches long. He spent 15 days in the NICU. He never needed oxygen or had any medical a concerns aside from just needing to eat better. He's almost 6 weeks old now and doing wonderful.. Eating almost 4oz every 3 hours and is 7 1/2 pounds. Good luck Momma! Your little one will do great!
  • @chansleyk I had my baby at 34 weeks 4 days. They were trying to get me to 37 weeks but my platelets dropped and they worried about uncontrollable bleeding. The Dr came in my room and said I would be having my baby by the afternoon. I know it's scary but stay brave! My boy was 5 lbs even and 18 inches long. He only spent one week in the NICU. He's 6 weeks old now. Weighs 8 lbs 3 oz. keep us posted!
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested