Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Feeding Frequency?

im curious how frequently your 4 mo eats? Mine takes anywhere from 3-5 oz (breast milk) at about 3 hrs apart. My folks babysit during the week and I think he could stretch out the timing even more but my dad keeps him on the clock for fear of him getting hungry and crying, I think. We try to tell him to just watch for cues and that he can wait quite a while now, but I'm curious if this range is around what others his age are doing. I read that some go more like 5 hrs between eating, but I know he's still eating relatively small servings and all babies are different! :)

Re: Feeding Frequency?

• Options
    I have twins - DS is 15lb & eats 4.5-5 oz every 2.5-3 hours. DD is 11lb and eats 4-4.5 oz every 2.5-3 hours. I am waiting on their cues to spread out the feedings a bit but since they starting sleeping through the night (9-12 hours with no feedings), they have actually increased the frequency of their daytime feedings (we used to feed every 3-3.5 hours).
  • Options
    Wow glad I'm not alone! DD now eats 4-6 oz every 2 or so hours. :/ We are investigating formulas because she seems to have silent reflux and frequent eating is -sometimes- a sign of that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our now 5 month old eats 4.5 oz every 3 hours at daycare. I think you re fine :)

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    Also my pediatrician told me a good rule of thumb is they can go about 1 hour per ounce of breastmilk - not sure if that holds true for formula.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    My DD2 wanted to eat 3-3.5oz of BM every 2hrs at that age. Even now at 9mo she prefers to eat every 2.5-3hrs.

Why are you trying to force a longer stretch between feeds?? IMO your dad is doing you a favor. The more and more frequently your baby will eat during the day, the less he will need to wake up at night to eat. Wouldn't you rather have your LO go longer without eating at night instead of stretching to 5hrs during the day??

Oh and NO, babies don't go 5hrs betw eating during the day at any age really...
  • Options
    I only mean to say that I think they tend to feed him at any sign of upset, when he's likely not actually hungry yet. We definitely don't try to stretch the feedings just for the sake of it, we go by his cues, and he usually lasts around 3 hrs. Doesn't tend to make a difference in his night eating routine though.

Glad to hear that many others are around the same schedule, too. He's fat n happy, that's what matters in the end!