Breastfeeding
Options

Latch issues

My son is 6 weeks old. Over the last few days he has decided that he can't open his mouth to latch on. I end up with a terrible latch and a painful nursing session every 1-2 hours. On the rare occasion that he does latch well he ends up spitting out most of my boob so just the nipple is in his mouth anyway. I've tried different positions and I relatch him a ton before I just let him eat with a crappy latch. It's always worse on the right side. Any suggestions?

Re: Latch issues

• Options
    Try the laid back position. Also try making a breast sandwich and moving it in chin to nose. Tickle him and wait for that big open wide. If he can't open wide enough at all maybe it's a tongue tie. A nipple shield can sometimes help but make sure to see a lactation consultant if you're having issues like a tongue tie or using a shield.
  • Options
    Also evaluate if he has a strong suck. Tummy time and having him suck on your finger before latching can help strengthen.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also evaluate if he has a strong suck. Tummy time and having him suck on your finger before latching can help strengthen.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks. I called the lactation consultant and I'm going to see her on Monday.
  • Options
    Great idea, @randa923 ! The LC will be able to help out your babe's latch and give you the best tips in person. Hope it goes well and keep us updated!
  • Options
    Did the LC help? Was it tongue tie?
  • Options
    Mine had tongue tie and nursing was awful!! We both got so frustrated! They clipped it and it was IMMEDIATELY better. If it is tongue tie I definitely recommend getting it snipped
  • Options
    The LC was able to say he had a lip tie but overall wasn't super helpful. She did do a weighted feed where we found out he was only taking in about 40ml total between both breasts. That's why he was eating every hour. She wasn't really able to help with the latch issues though. We saw his doc for his 2 month appointment and got a referral to a pediatric ENT. One day before he was 11 weeks we had his tongue tie clipped. We didn't do the lip. I went to the lobby after that appointment and fed him for the first time without curling my toes in pain :) it was a beautiful thing. Within days he had stretched his feedings out to every 3 hours and we stopped supplementing. Today he is 16 weeks old and I'm proud to say exclusively breastfed. It's been far from easy, but I think we finally have the hang of it.