November 2015 Moms
Options

Tdap (whooping cough) vaccine

My ob has recommended that I get the whooping cough vaccine while I'm pregnant. I am all about protecting my baby but am just alittle nervous about doing something like that while pregnant. Are other moms getting this vaccine?

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    When did you ladies get this shot?
    Me: 28 DBF: 30
    BFP#1 07/10/14 EDD 3/14/15 Diagnosed with Blighted Ovum 08/18/14
    BFP#2  3/17/15 EDD 11/22/15
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am pretty sure the tdap is a standard recommendation for all pregnant women and anyone that will be around your baby (SO, grandparents, and any other close family or caretakers). The vaccine also passes some immunity to the baby. I got it with DS even though my last one was only a few years before and I will get it again with this one. There are no side effects that can impact your LO.
    A flu shot is a good idea also.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got it on Wednesday. My OB said the CDC recommends all expectant mothers to get the vaccine to protect baby in the first 8 weeks of life as they are not able to get a vaccine themselves until 8 weeks old. They recommend this because a few years ago a lot of babies were dying from whooping cough in the first 8 weeks of life.
  • Options
    We just discussed this at my last appointment. My midwife said all pregnant women have to get it, and that it is also good for spouse to get it - and anyone who will be around the baby. You have to get it every 10 years, but you have to get it every time you are pregnant. It delivers a burst of antibodies. ETA spelling
    I was under the impression that it was optional, but highly recommended.  I got it at my 28w appointment right after they did the finger poke for my glucola test.
  • Options
    urby87 said:

We just discussed this at my last appointment. My midwife said all pregnant women have to get it, and that it is also good for spouse to get it - and anyone who will be around the baby. You have to get it every 10 years, but you have to get it every time you are pregnant. It delivers a burst of antibodies.

ETA spelling

I was under the impression that it was optional, but highly recommended.  I got it at my 28w appointment right after they did the finger poke for my glucola test.

It may be optional- my midwife basically said I had to get it. I'm mobile so can't link but there is a good article on the CDC website about it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    grapesoda1111grapesoda1111 member
    edited August 2015
    It is good to get it between 27 and 36 weeks to give baby the best protection when born. It takes about 2 weeks before your body develops antibodies in response to the vaccine.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got a bunch of vaccination top ups when my daughter had her first vaccinations at 2 months old (she is 21 months old now) so I think I'm okay for this pregnancy!

On the topic of needles: when is everyone getting the flu shot? I didn't do mine until my daughter was 2 months old in January... I'm wondering if I should get it earlier so we are all done prior to baby #2 being here. Sorry to hijack the post.
  • Options
    I got the vaccine yesterday. The only reaction I had was a sore arm. I have asked my parents and siblings to get it. I have asked my hubby to ask his mom and step dad to get it as well. They will all be coming before our LO is 8 weeks old.
    My hubby and I will also be getting the flu shot before our LO is born.
  • Options
    Got mine last week, had a lovely sore red arm for about 5 days :)
  • Options
    I just got it on Wednesday at 28+3. I just had it last year but now they're recommended in each pregnancy regardless because they help the baby build immunity since I don't think they have the vaccine right away. I'm also getting a flu shot when the season begins. Doc also told me to advise anyone who will be around baby to have had it within the last 5 years since it has become a nasty epidemic and obviously babies immune systems aren't as strong as ours straight out of the womb.
  • Options
    nmwheel1 said:

I got a bunch of vaccination top ups when my daughter had her first vaccinations at 2 months old (she is 21 months old now) so I think I'm okay for this pregnancy!

On the topic of needles: when is everyone getting the flu shot? I didn't do mine until my daughter was 2 months old in January... I'm wondering if I should get it earlier so we are all done prior to baby #2 being here. Sorry to hijack the post.

DS is only 22 months and my dr recommends I get the tdap again. I also had it 3 years before getting it with DS. I think the recommendation is to get it with every pregnancy to help pass it to baby.
    For the flu shot the goal is to get it at the start of flu season or at least 2 weeks before baby it born. It takes at least 2 weeks for an immunity to pass to baby, my dr said there were mixed results if the flu vaccine passes or not, but either way it is a good item you you.
  • Options
    I'm getting my tdap, flu and pneumonia all at once.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I've been looking into this lately too. Did you ladies get it at your OB or did you have to go to your primary care doctor for it?
  • Options

I've been looking into this lately too. Did you ladies get it at your OB or did you have to go to your primary care doctor for it?

My OBs nurse gave me mine..
  • Options
    My OBs nurse gave me mine..
    OB here, as well.
  • Options

I have to go to my primary doctor.
  • Options
    nmwheel1 said:

nmwheel1 said:

DS is only 22 months and my dr recommends I get the tdap again. I also had it 3 years before getting it with DS. I think the recommendation is to get it with every pregnancy to help pass it to baby.
    For the flu shot the goal is to get it at the start of flu season or at least 2 weeks before baby it born. It takes at least 2 weeks for an immunity to pass to baby, my dr said there were mixed results if the flu vaccine passes or not, but either way it is a good item you you.
    Good to know! I was not given any vaccines while pregnant with dd, it was never even mentioned. I'm in Alberta, Canada so maybe that's why? Maybe I'll just get the top up's again when this baby gets their 2 month vaccinations?
    Intersting, maybe it is just an American recommendation. Maybe we have had more outbreaks of whooping cough. If you ask your dr about it, I would be curious what they say.
  • Options

OB here also while pregnant.

Prior to getting pregnant I used to get it every 5 years because it also has tetanus and I volunteer at an animal shelter (possible puncture wounds). The nurse practitioner my primary care just gave me it, in and out in 15 minutes, did not need an appointment just called ahead.
  • Options
    nmwheel1 said:

nmwheel1 said:

Good to know! I was not given any vaccines while pregnant with dd, it was never even mentioned. I'm in Alberta, Canada so maybe that's why? Maybe I'll just get the top up's again when this baby gets their 2 month vaccinations?
    I know it is also recommended, and pretty standard in the UK.
    Getting the vaccination after the baby is born has no benefit. It is recommended to get it during pregnancy (towards the beginning of the 3rd tri), because you will create antibodies which can be passed to baby.
  • Options
    I'm definitely getting it and the flu vaccine while I'm pregnant. I guess I'm not nervous about it since I've gotten worse already. I had to get the tetanus and rabies vaccines in my first into my second trimester (which surprisingly my OB said is safe during pregnancy).
  • Options
    You can say no to getting it, I did last time I was pregnant because it would have been two Tdaps within a year of each other and I didn't feel I needed another one. I will get it this year but for insurance reasons may go to my PCP. I got my rhogam shot last visit. That burn like no other and of course the nurse that did it was in training and never given one before (she had done shots just not that medication)
  • Options
    I'm getting mine next week, and will be having DH get it too before the baby is born.
  • Options
    I got mine yesterday!
  • Options

nmwheel1 said:

nmwheel1 said:

Intersting, maybe it is just an American recommendation. Maybe we have had more outbreaks of whooping cough. If you ask your dr about it, I would be curious what they say.
    Definitely a UK recommendation aswell :)
  • Options
    I got one about 3 years ago when I broke my finger so I am good. If I didn't just get it then I would get it now as my OB also suggested it. Mine also suggested the flu shot and I plan on getting it too. SO and DS will also be getting theirs. Not sure about them having to get tdap, my doctor didn't mention they had to.

If you don't want to get the Tdap then you don't have to but you do pass the immunity to the baby. It's worth researching thoroughly if you are on the fence. Then make your own decision on it.
  • Options
    I will be getting mine at my next appointment, my DH is going to get it at CVS. My parents are getting the vaccination, and my in laws got it a year ago when my nephew was born.
    I've let everyone know if they aren't up to date on vaccinations then they won't be around the baby
  • Options
    I should ask at my next appointment. Strange it isn't something done in Canada, or well not done by my OB. I had this same OB with my daughter 2 years ago.
  • Options
    nmwheel1 said:

I should ask at my next appointment. Strange it isn't something done in Canada, or well not done by my OB. I had this same OB with my daughter 2 years ago.

It wasn't done in the U.S. with my daughter 3 years ago either. My midwife said its with in the last year they started recommending it after studies showed it helps.
    I was told even if you had it last year with a pregnancy they will give it to you again because of the benefits to the baby.
  • Options
    I got mine at 26 weeks. The nurse said it is recommended each pregnancy even though I had it almost 3 years ago. My DH got the vaccine last time and it is good for 10 years.
  • Options
    nmwheel1 said:

It's only been routinely offered in the UK since October 2012. I think that's when there was a rise in the number of whooping cough cases reported.

I find it a bit of an overkill that the U.S. tells mothers that everyone who comes into contact with the baby needs it. But I guess the drug companies like to make their money, so why sell just 1 vaccine when you can get a whole family of 5 or more.