June 2015 Moms
Options

Sleep on tummy?

On some if these discussions I've seen responses that mention having the baby sleep on their tummy. I'm sure my little guy would love this but I'm to nervous to try it. At what age did you feel comfortable letting them do this?

Re: Sleep on tummy?

• Options
    Once they start rolling over, there is really no way to stop them from sleeping on their tummy. By then, their necks should be strong enough anyway. But to be safe, I would just wait until they reach that point. Shouldn't be more than two months by now anyway.
  • Options
    My LO has been on his tummy since the day he started sleeping in his crib at 5 weeks. I had him napping on his belly at first so I could watch him, and feel totally comfortable with him on his belly at night. He has very strong neck control, and he is definitely more comfortable.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmmmm my kid is 3 months and hasn't rolled over - now I'm nervous!
  • Options
    My son can roll off of his tummy, but I wouldn't but him to sleep that way. I don't know of any medical authority that says he should sleep on his belly just because he call roll over when he is awake.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    I've done it since day 1, it's how he's comfortable and sleeps long and well. Same with DD
  • Options
    HayesRN13HayesRN13 member
    edited August 2015
    And.. Actually once they start rolling.. Peds will say it's fine.. Most peds will say once they can lift their head its fine, but you know all the "rules" (that change constantly) = liability ... So they have to tell you what "the new literature" says (again everchanging) But each one will tell you SIDS is not caused from tummy sleeping, because it's not
  • Options
    I've had DS on his belly since the beginning. He has a super strong neck and has been lifting his head since he was 2 days old. He sleeps so much better and hates being on his back. He can't roll over (he's so close) but I've felt super comfortable with putting him on his belly. I'm not worried about SIDS
  • Options
    DD and DD2 were on their bellies since 2-3 weeks old!
    They sleep so much better.
  • Options
    Tummy sleeper here as well from about 3 weeks on.