May 2015 Moms
Options

advice please possible ASD. LONG STORY.

I know this might not be any of my business but as a mom I am concerned.

I have a friend with a little boy who will be 2 in December. I am concerned he is showing sign of ASD but she ignores it. How do I advocate for this child without making mom mad or should I just leave the issue alone. Here is his story:

Since he was born he has been so hard to interact with. He hardly ever interacted after about 6 months. No giggles maybe a smile every now and then. He is completely non verbal. No babbling, no pointing, no grunting, will hardly even cry even when disciplined. He has never waved bye bye, mimicked, and still does not have a functioning pincer grasp. ( cannot feed himself small bits of food he will pick up a handful and shake his hand until he gets only one or two small bits and then will take it to his mouth) He is fixated on objects instead of toys. He loves rocks and will sit for hour in a pile of rocks just running his fingers through them. He will line blocks up but never build. He won't interact with children that try to play instead he walks off away from them never saying a word or showing any emotion. He will lay on the floor stroking the carpet for hours. He will go in the kitchen and open and close drawers for entertainment. Something was finally said and she did get his hearing tested but the doctor performing the test said the test could not be accurate because the child did not interact enough.

The only time mom has acknowledged there might be an issue was the day the hearing doctor said he didn't interact enough and that she might need to try speech therapy first. That day she admitted she thought he had ASD, but her husband was very mad and irritated with her for thinking that. Since then she has decided he is just an independent child and has no need to talk. He gets his sippy cup out of the bag by himself so he has no need to ask for it. I feel like the child needs and advocate but at the same time I know this is not my child and it's ultimately her decision.

Should I try to talk to her more or continue tip toeing around the subject and let her keep brushing it under the rug.

I just know the earlier you can get them help the better this can be treated. Please no negative comments i am coming from a place of love and concern and my heart brakes for that baby and mom and family. All advice is very much appreciated.

Re: advice please possible ASD. LONG STORY.

• Options
    How close are you to this friend? If this was my sister or one of my best friends I would absolutely have this conversation. If this was some joe shmo that I hardly know, the conversation should still happen but maybe you aren't the best person to have it with. If that's the case then I would maybe express my concerns to someone you know they are close with.

This is obviously going to be a difficult conversation. But sometimes the most difficult ones are the most important. She may be very upset with you for bringing it up, but if her child is diagnosed then she can get some help early.

It may also be helpful to have a second person with you during the conversation. No more than one so she doesn't feel like you're ganging up on her. But with 2 people you can express this as you both are concerned. She may feel you are more justified in bringing this up if it's not just one person thinking this way.

Hope that makes sense. I'm extremely tired while writing this.
  • Options
    DMELDMEL member
    Sounds like you told her your concerns once and she's not ready to do anything . I would leave it alone now- you did your part and now it's up to three parents to respond.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree. I work with kids on the spectrum. Many of the signs you described are similar to many of the kids we work with. It can be very difficult, as peolple tend to see what's "wrong" with their children, and it's difficult to accept that your child, family, and life isn't going to be typical. Approach lightly. I would suggest a support group or a conversation with someone that's gone through it. I see so many kids have happy and successful lives, they just take a different road to get there. Remember to be a good friend through the whole process! Support them as they struggle through finding the right path for them. Many parents get so caught up in their children they forget to take care of themselves.
  • Options
    I totally know how you feel! I found myself in a similar situation with a neighbor who I had gotten close to a couple years ago. When I finally got up the courage to say something, she did not take it well, and I was heartbroken, because I was trying to help. I think she knew that her boy was not typical and she was already preparing herself for a long, hard road and she was not willing to give her son a label. She would also allude to the fact that he was different- but I guess from me she just needed someone to see the beauty in him like she did. And someone to tell her that she was doing an awesome job. I am still sad to think that we are not friends bc I stepped over that boundary. But I don't regret following my heart either. Good luck whatever happens.
  • Options
    Potentially bad idea here. But anonymously mail them pamphlets?
  • Options
    DMEL said:

Sounds like you told her your concerns once and she's not ready to do anything . I would leave it alone now- you did your part and now it's up to three parents to respond.

This. If they are in denial, you aren't going to help. Just be there when she figures it or or comes to you for support.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    ali0608 said:

DMEL said:

This. If they are in denial, you aren't going to help. Just be there when she figures it or or comes to you for support.
    Completely agree.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If she is going to believe anyone, it might be the dr. One idea is to brain storm with her some questions for the dr. Letting her take the lead and not suggesting a diagnosis. This might get her thinking. If you come charging it, it will be bad. There's a thin line there and you don't wait to cross it.
  • Options
    jennygirlmtjennygirlmt member
    edited August 2015
    This is a tough situation. Everything you explained are things that my autistic cousin does. But he is a sweet, happy boy who loves his family and they love him.

I'm just surprised her pediatrition hasn't caught this. I have to answer questions specifically screening for Austism at every appt.

I hope everything works out for this family and they seek out the amazing resources available.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I just want to thank all of you women for your sweet thoughtful and helpful comments. I appreciate you all being nice about this. I posted this same issue on the toddler board to see if moms with the same age children could lend any support or advice and they have been sooooooo ugly and mean and basically told me to get off my soapbox and that I was pushy. I thank yal for understanding that this is com from the best place in my heart with lots of love and compassion for this sweet precious baby and mommy.
  • Options
    I'm in a very similar situation except the mother is my husband's sister. We think our 2 year old niece, her daughter, has ASD. She shows almost every sign that she has it. It's been discussed more than once but the mother is in complete denial. She has even gone as far as to tell us that the doctor did blood work to test for. There is no blood test for ASD so we knew that wasn't true. Unfortunately some parents just need tome to accept that their child may have something like ASD. Honestly it's already been brought up and it's definitely in the back of their minds still. Bringing it up repeatedly with just result in more hurt feelings and possibly make her very angry with you. At every peditrition appointment, the doctor asked questions about the child's development and the doctor will figure it out. Some children just developed slower than others so the child honestly might now have ASD. If the child does they will know soon I'm sure. It's hard but if it's already been brought up then bringing it up again probably won't do any good.