Multiples

Materni21 or Harmony test with multiples?

Did anyone do either of these tests while carrying multiples? My doctor offered it to me, but said that some of the tests aren't as accurate with multiples. I'm having twins so I'm kind of torn. We had a false positive on another blood test with my older son (he turned out to be fine), so now I'm really torn on additional testing. What did you do?
BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/

Re: Materni21 or Harmony test with multiples?

• We did the Progenity test, which is the same. The genetic counselor says it wasn't tested in multiples, but they hadn't has any issue. After our negative test we discussed it with our MFM and she said based on that and our 12 week genetic scan she wouldn't recommend additional testing. The rates of false positive are MUCH lower than the other blood screens.
  • Technically, only Maternit21 does multiples.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did the Maternit21 with triplets- the doc had them check which to do and that's the chosen one. Mine was neg for any issues.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• We did the maternit21 test but the genetic counselor told us it would not give us results specific to each twin but rather that it would tell us if there was an issue and if so, we would have to do an amino. Our insurance then sent me a letter after the fact saying maternit21 is 'not indicated' for multiples. So we had to go through all kinds of hoops to get the test covered.
  • EmJ628 said:

We did the maternit21 test but the genetic counselor told us it would not give us results specific to each twin but rather that it would tell us if there was an issue and if so, we would have to do an amino. Our insurance then sent me a letter after the fact saying maternit21 is 'not indicated' for multiples. So we had to go through all kinds of hoops to get the test covered.

How did you get it covered in the end?
  • We ended up declining the test for now. If something comes up as a marker for an abnormality on one of the standard tests (nt scan or blood tests), we will re-evaluate our strategy but for now we told our doctor that we're only interested in optional/additional testing for things that can be treated in utero or to confirm a diagnosis. After our experience with the false positive with my previous pregnancy I'm just a little nervous about all the extra testing unless it's necessary.
  • Side note: did anyone else find their high risk doctor to be a real Debbie downer? We had to sit through a 20 min lecture on all the risks of multiples and advanced maternal age (I just turned 35 last month) before he told us that everything looked fine on my nt scan. Geez guy, way to give me a heart attack!
  • I chose my MFM specifically because I knew that even at 39 pregnant with twin via IVF that I was "low risk" compared to some of his other patients. Lol. They see people who have severe chronic diseases, organ transplants, severe morbid obesity (think BMIs in the 60s-80s), etc. As a healthy active person he barely batted an eyelash. Plus being over 35 really only puts you at slightly increased risk for certain genetic disorders. And what are you going to do? Go back in time and get pregnant at 25? The "risks" of AMA are so overblown. A healthy 36 yo who exercises and eats well is at so much lower risk for complications than a 25 to who doesn't take care of herself.
  • nanamp said:

EmJ628 said:

We did the maternit21 test but the genetic counselor told us it would not give us results specific to each twin but rather that it would tell us if there was an issue and if so, we would have to do an amino. Our insurance then sent me a letter after the fact saying maternit21 is 'not indicated' for multiples. So we had to go through all kinds of hoops to get the test covered.

How did you get it covered in the end?
    Our doctors office resubmitted to the insurance with additional explanation (that I would be 35 at the time of delivery) and the company who does MaterniT21 also has a program that my doc's office is a part of so if your insurance will not pay or only pay part you are guaranteed to pay no more than $200. So we signed up for that too.