January 2016 Moms
Options

GTKY: Baby Name Guilty Pleasures

2»

Re: GTKY: Baby Name Guilty Pleasures

• Options
    I really like the name Paxton but it's the name of one of the trains on Thomas (my DS's favorite show) and I just can't add the name to our list!
  • Options
    I like Phoenix and Willow but they are just too out there for us. Hubby hates both so Oscar or Scarlett it is - we find out tomorrow what we are having - so excited :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love justina, but my hubby is justin. For a boy, I love Soloman (after my first pair of skis) but hubby says it sounds too biblical.
  • Options

I really like the name Paxton but it's the name of one of the trains on Thomas (my DS's favorite show) and I just can't add the name to our list!

That's actually my maiden name and my grandma has already asked if we using it for a boy name lol.
  • Options
    I've been in love with the name Olivia since high school (fwiw I graduated in '01). It appears thousands of other women secretly shared my love of that name.....I'm still stuck on finding a different girls name. Boy we have down :). Finding out the gender in two weeks!!
  • Options
    Journey is my guilty pleasure name.
  • Options
    jfritschie87jfritschie87 member
    edited August 2015
    I came up with the name Levayla while hiking one day and i loved how it just kind of rolls off the tongue. We actually found out we're having a boy so that name of course won't be used. Even if we did have a girl, i feel like i don't want to be one of those moms who names their child something that no one else would be able to pronounce or spell right.
  • Options
    I love Ramona which will be our little girls middle name (if we have one. Hasn't been confirmed yet). But hubby hates it. It's my grandmas name. He thinks it's ugly and old
    Lady sounding. I think Mona is so cute. I also like other "old lady" names like Carmen Carmela
    BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I secretly love the names Calliope and Delphine for a girl and Dominic or Xavier for a boy, unfortunately dh isn't that keen on any
  • Options
    Rain, Raven, Heaven or Heavenly for a girl. Growing up all I did was read VC Andrews novels and those names stuck with me.

TTC my #1 with PCOS since June 2010.
    Countless Clomid&Femara Cycles.
    Feb. 2014-April 2015=AF arrived on time. 
    EDD: January 14, 2016. Finally.image
    Expecting One Healthy Baby Girl!!!
  • Options
    Japheth and Mahalalel. Both are biblical boy names. Japheth was son of Noah and Mahalalel was great great grandson of Adam. My husband hates both names and were having another girl.
  • Options
    I love the name Alabama for a girl. I always have, it's from my favorite movie True Romance. But DH thinks it's horrible and my whole family thinks it's insane. I also have loved the name Scarlett since I was a little girl and would watch Gone With The Wind. I just think it's becoming too popular and I want to find a name out of the top 100. I hate the idea of having a kid who has the same name as multiple other kids in their class.
  • Options
    Guinevere for a girl. I love it so much. Hubs didn't agree. We went with something else for our preselected girls name.
  • Options

I secretly love the names Calliope and Delphine for a girl and Dominic or Xavier for a boy, unfortunately dh isn't that keen on any

Hnng, I love Delphine and Calliope. But Delphine clashes with our preselected middle name and the pronunciation of Calliope put me off (traditional pronunciation is kuh-lie-uh-pee). We went with Phoebe, also Greek. You got good girl name tastes tho :D
  • Options
    Genevieve or Guinevere - No way could I get SO on board so I didn't even try. He shot down names that are much less "old fashioned"

I like the name Peyton/Payton for a girl. He's not into gender neutral names and he loves football...Peyton Manning would be an obstacle I could not conquer.

I also love the name Heinrich.

Delphine is adorable.
  • Options
    I love the name Reese for a boy.
    DH said he couldn't do it cause he'd end up thinking of Reese's every time he said his name. :(

I've always liked the name Nevaeh for a girl. Mostly because it's Heaven spelled backwards, but I'd never mention it to DH. He'd say no. Plus it doesn't fit well with the middle name and last name.
  • Options
    MarySMPMarySMP member
    edited August 2015
    I love Noah for a girl with a feminine middle name (Noah Grace), but it's been vetoed. I like Biblical sounding names and I think it would be cute, but I'd definitely get tired of explaining why I gave a boy name to a little girl (even though so many other boy names can go either way!)
  • Options
    My hub suggested Clara Belle for a girl. I told him it was awful and sounded like something you name a milk cow, but I secretly loved it even though I still think it sounds like a milk cow name.
  • Options
    MarySMP said:
    I love Noah for a girl with a feminine middle name (Noah Grace), but it's been vetoed. I like Biblical sounding names and I think it would be cute, but I'd definitely get tired of explaining why I gave a boy name to a little girl (even though so many other boy names can go either way!)
    There is a female Noah in the Bible.

Num 27:1-2

Then came the daughters of Zelophehad the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, from the families of Manasseh the son of Joseph; and these were the names of his daughters: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah. (NKJV)

Apparently they are not spelled the same in Hebrew, but neither sound exactly like we pronounce it in English either.
  • Options
    Homer and Oscar! I love both those names but hubby will not go for it. He thinks too many people would make Homer Simpson and Oscar the grouch references but I LOVE those names!!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I LOVE the name Ryan for a girl. Ryan Mae would be her full name, but DH still won't go for it. (Yes, I'm still trying!) We haven't found out what we are having yet, and have choose another top name for a girl (Ellie Mae). I love that as well, but just not as much as Ryan.

Considering I totally vetoed his top boy name (Desmond), I guess I should let him have his opinion...

@MarySMP A good friend at work named her daughter Noa, spelled just like that, without the "h" to make it a little bit more feminine. I believe her middle name is Kelsey, Noa Kelsey. I thought that was beautiful!
  • Options
    cyanope said:

Gertrude. Don't know why I love it so much. I also love them name Hazel. When I suggested them, DH asked, "what...are you planning on birthing a 90 year old??"

My husband and I were just discussing Gertrude yesterday. It was my grandmother's name, so maybe it's less weird and it's kind of growing on me.
  • Options
    I loved Brynn for years, but last name Quinn veto's that. I also love Annie, but DH is a very red head and my hair is super curly so little orphan Annie vetoed that for us. I also love (but DH didn't) Juliet (he thinks it sounds Italian, um not at all but ok)

I love Genevieve but we have a close friends wife that's named Genevieve and it's such a different name that it might be weird.

Boy names are easy for us to agree on, so maybe we'll have a boy haha
  • Options
    I love the name Dexter for a boy, but can't help thinking about the serial killer show and nerdy cartoon.
  • Options
    mvhyde said:

MarySMP said:

There is a female Noah in the Bible.

Num 27:1-2

Then came the daughters of Zelophehad the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, from the families of Manasseh the son of Joseph; and these were the names of his daughters: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah. (NKJV)

Apparently they are not spelled the same in Hebrew, but neither sound exactly like we pronounce it in English either.

That is generally written as Noa (in modern times) and is pretty much pronounced that way in Hebrew. Noah (the male name) is pronounced Noach (ch, as in Bach or as if you have something stuck in your throat). To a Hebrew speaker, calling a boy Noah (pronounced the way Americans say it) sounds really weird because that sounds like the girls' name.
  • Options
    I am a fan of Jersey (girl) and Pacey (boy), but my husband says no to both. Sigh!
  • Options
    So, I am Belgian and my husband is Indian... I have always loved the name India for a girl but my husband understandably says this sounds ridiculous... he says if we did it we would name a son Belgium which would also be ridiculous, haha.

But, come on, India... isn't that a lovely name?  :)
    About me: Daughter turns 4 in Feb 2016... second baby due in mid-Jan 2016!   
  • Options
    @stephseg I had a coworker just 1 month ago who named her new baby girl Sailor. I'd never heard it before but I think it's adorable and she's getting a lot of good responses from it.
  • Options
    @kimmy0723 Jersey was totally on the table for us! I'm such a sucker for 80's and early 90's movies. Jersey was the nickname given to the main character in Coyote Ugly. Unfortunately, Jersey just doesn't go well with my boyfriend's Middle Eastern last name...
  • Options

So, I am Belgian and my husband is Indian... I have always loved the name India for a girl but my husband understandably says this sounds ridiculous... he says if we did it we would name a son Belgium which would also be ridiculous, haha.

But, come on, India... isn't that a lovely name?  :)
    @Francookie, I love India, and it is not an uncommon name in the UK. My husband is not a fan though.
  • Options
    NenaB54 said:

I love Ramona which will be our little girls middle name (if we have one. Hasn't been confirmed yet). But hubby hates it. It's my grandmas name. He thinks it's ugly and old
    Lady sounding. I think Mona is so cute. I also like other "old lady" names like Carmen Carmela

I threw Ramona out there for hubby a long time ago, because I loved the Ramona Quimby books when I was a kid. It was pretty much an instant veto. :(