September 2015 Moms
Options

Diaper bag vs. diaper back pack? Recommendations?

My baby shower's have come and gown and I don't have a diaper bag so I'm doing some research to buy one.  Anyone have experience with a bag vs. a back pack?  A backpack sounds nice and more comfortable but less stylish.  Wondering if I should have 1 of each?  Any particular brands/styles? Thank you!

Re: Diaper bag vs. diaper back pack? Recommendations?

• Options
    We have one of each. Both were gifts. I got a traditional diaper bag for me and my husband has one of the messenger bags that turns into a back pack. Figure we can have both semi filled when necessary especially during day care. And my husband likes his bc it's just plain black and he'll wear it out when he has our son without me.
  • Options
    I have a ju-ju-be BFF diaper bag. You can use it as either a back pack or on your shoulder. Has both! I love it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I grabbed the Fisher Price backpack from Target.  It has an insulated bottle holder and lots of pockets and room.  I figured that way my hubby wouldn't mind carrying it around either :)
  • Options
    I have both! Love it, especially when I want to go hiking or to the beach I can put everything in the back pack.
  • Options
    I'm not experienced mom, but I've talked to a few. Everyone here pretty much gets the timi and Leslie bag. They are so cute, but I think too big and heavy. Several of them have gotten where they don't even use them and have gotten other lightweight bags. I got a skip hop backpack. See picture. It's cuter in person. Lightweight and good size. I just think ill be carrying a car seat around and I didn't want a bag falling off my arm with the heavy car seat and baby. This one is where my hubby doesn't mind carrying it either bc not super girly!
  • Options
    I was looking into that exact bag!! thank you!!
  • Options
    To second a pp, I have the ju ju be bff - which is a messenger bag and a backpack.  I love that it's versatile- it's a great bag!
  • Options
    I have a 31 bag. Love it. My first diaper bag with son #1 ripped. Then I had a bag made for me for son #2. That one didn't last but could have been my fault for filling it too full. About a year ago I got a 31 bag. LOVE IT!!!!
  • Options
    I got the Columbia diaper bag/backpack. It looks like a normal backpack but has all the conveniences of a traditional diaper bag :).
  • Options
    We have one of each! The back pack is for my SO to carry though. The diaper bag is girly so I'll carry it:)
  • Options
    I feel like you go through an evolution of needs. With DD1, the traditional bag was great because it had tons of room and was easy to find. As she gets older, I find myself going for the backpack for zoo trips and play dates. I'm opting for a messenger style this time or a new backpack. The traditional ones kind of slip off your arm when carrying a million other things. I'm currently trying to find one that's a little more in my price range than the really popular ones.
  • Options
    MufflerloveMufflerlove member
    edited August 2015
    I have a million bags I've used. I prefer a 31 tote because it's super light or some form of backpack. With my toddler being hands free is best for me. Even crossbody bags get in my way when I bend down. They swing and annoy me or hit her. I just got a skip hop forma backpack for having two.
  • Options
    I went with a backpack because I can't even keep a purse from slipping off of my shoulder, much less a heavy diaper bag, and I figure it will be so much easier on my arms when I'm lugging an infant seat around. I also got a very small purse that I can put inside the diaper bag when we are out and about or wear cross body. Just something big enough to hold my wallet, phone and keys. I went with an Obersee backpack. I ordered one off of Amazon because I didn't want the cooler that comes with it. It was a little pricey, but it's made really well. I looked at a Fisher Price one and just wasn't impressed with the quality of the bag or the changing pad that came with it.  
  • Options
    We have both.  I got my husband the Fisher-Price backpack one from Target as a Father's Day gift, and it's his "cool, outdoorsy dad diaper bag."   My husband, who is a Senior Chief Petty Officer in the Navy, got me a diaper bag during his annual Navy training on the base in Millington, TN.  It's a traditional satchel style with loads of pockets, and is embroidered on front with a little monkey wearing a sailor suit and says "Navy Baby." 

I'm sure we'll use both. 
  • Options
    Backpack is easier to manuvor when carry a kid because the weight is easily distributed I feel I can function better with a backpack
  • Options
    It depends how you'd use it. I have a traditional bag because I plan to take the stroller pretty much everywhere and it fits in the stroller basket.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have both, hubby has backpack and I have diaper bag. It's whatever you feel comfortable with.