January 2016 Moms
Options

What's Happening to Our BMB????

Question.....Well, Statement, then question.

I have been on this BMB since finding out I was pregnant at about 5.5 weeks, which puts me at practically 13 weeks on this board. I've witnessed the drama, the silly blocking of people, the threads being shut down, etc. But for the most part, it's been well maintained.

So my question is...

What is going on right now?? Why are there 2-3 gender fantasy mythbuster posts? Random symptom posts? And all from users I definitely don't recognize. I'm not saying "KEEP OUT" But it's starting to feel a little rude to me... I think most of us on here have tried to ensure this board is fun and well coordinated. But it's starting to suck and not just because certain users got banned.

I dunno what to do....but I liked this board for a long time.

Re: What's Happening to Our BMB????

• Options
    I guess I'll be the next one getting banned....or...I dunno. I guess I just need to put on my weeding gloves and suck it up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    amargaret24amargaret24 member
    edited August 2015
    This is the only thread I've started about the board and what's going on. (Just double checked to make sure, can't be sure with pregnancy brain). I have been commenting on other threads as of late because I'm frustrated, but all the other threads I've started are like...HDBD n stuff.

I never thought anyone was a bully on this board but felt like other people DID have it handled, hence why I didn't feel like I needed to do much or say much. Part of the reasoning for this post was in hopes some of the folks randomly posting will read and see that they aren't following the rules. Perhaps passive aggressive, I'm not sure.

Either way, just wanted to see if other people had any input. But, I guess the answer is clear.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm sorry this isn't the third post you posted I got people mixed up. Sorry :(

There have been a lot of posts in the last few days on this topic and they all blur together
  • Options
    adcc43adcc43 member
    edited August 2015
    Bisho said:

I've learnt to just go with the flow with all this stuff...as I figure there will always be new people posting stuff without taking the time to suss out previous threads etc? Granted, I'm not a huge contributor to this message board, but I always try to check-in and take a look from time-to-time.
    I just reckon we should ignore repeat posts (and annoying gender-test ones!) and people will hopefully get the message?! If not...oh well?! Maybe my pregnancy hormones are contributing to my state of 'who really cares?' about this?! One day this message board will be a distant memory as hopefully we'll all have little babies to keep us busy instead! :)

I second the comment about the pee gender test..........I could live without those posts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    It's a shame bc when the board is organized it's super helpful and easy to navigate but recently I feel like I'm paging through lots of nonsense looking for something worthwhile.

I'm not one to speak up, but in my previous BMB it was awesome, and after my DD was born it was one place that I turned to for advice and support from moms that had babies that were doing the same things as I was.

Tips on baby wearing, teething, CIO, introducing solids, BF etc. Stuff that was really helpful and useful and important.

While some of these topics are fine to browse while trying to pass the time, a million baby naming threads is crazy (esp when there is an entire baby name board) and a random thread is necessary for people to be able to throw thing out there about themselves and really get to know one another.

When DD was 6m there was a TB exodus to TCF/GBCB, we also made a FB group of about 30 pp and I'm very connected to these people across the country and in other parts of the world that I feel are genuinely my "friends" and are there to support and offer advice when needed.

Unfortunately I don't think this BMB will ever get there. People post threads instead of googling things. And people get way to offended when they told how things work.

I'll stick around, but I'm a more meaningful member elsewhere, where people use the boards more thoughtfully.
  • Options
    Boom!! Tell it Snoop! How many times do we have to have this discussion???
  • Options
    Can't we just report the gender posts? Aren't those technically against the guidelines? Or am I mistaken?
  • Options
    wyomama0427wyomama0427 member
    edited August 2015
    I think the piece of the puzzle everyone here is missing is actual, legit COMMUNICATION. Listen to what other people say.. Respond. If everything is all about you and how you feel and what you want... Nobody will want to talk to you. Have conversations with other members..... Get to know these people.... Stop wanting everyone to focus on you all the time.

Edited to add... When having these conversations don't just skip over all of the comments and only post what's relevant to you. That's why you guys are so "bored"
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is there something going on with the random weeks threads. "17 weeks today" and then everyone comments mushy gushy stuff like they're being totally serious. Am I missing out on an inside joke??
  • Options
    The threads whining about J'16 being boring are getting old.  It's unfair to expect a few people to make the board entertaining and organized.  It has to be a group effort, or people get burnt out, annoyed, and then banned.  I've seen quite a few people stepping up and making new threads to keep things moving.  Obviously the nonsense and repeat threads are obnoxious, but it's not like they are anything new.
    I second this.  You find this on EVERY board, not just here.  

Bannings, obnoxious posts, WKs, etc...this is literally on every board (and actually far worse in most other places).  I considered this tame before and after the couple of bannings that happened here.  Bored with the threads?  Create a thread.  You are just as much of a contributor to the board as everyone else.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    ntyravgsp said:
    What is going on right now - all the random drive-by users are treating this community like a pregnancy facebook news feed. It's just about them, they don't stick around to interact, and what's worse - they don't care. We've all seen at least several threads where the OP asked a question and then never came back, even if just to acknowledge that she had received relevant information. If I had to guess, because as a PP mentioned, my opinion does not reflect all of the bmb (although I'm sure at least some will agree), the people who were more frequent users just got tired of being labelled as tyrants for trying to maintain the community - and it certainly didn't help the situation when admin came in swinging the old ban hammer without looking at the situation at all. So yeah, this is the result. A shambles. But hey, no one's had to be banned in at least a day so that's a positive right?
    Dude, this happens on every board.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Options
    Dude it totally does, I see it everywhere. It isn't anything unique. The thing about here is, that's all that's happening.
  • Options
    ntyravgsp said:
    Dude it totally does, I see it everywhere. It isn't anything unique. The thing about here is, that's all that's happening.
    Perhaps other people should make interesting threads then and try to flood them out.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Options
    ntyravgsp said:
    Perhaps they should, but I don't think they're interested at this point. Greener free-range pastures upstate and all.
    If that's true, why come on here and just complain about the posts/users all the time?  Now almost half of the comments/posts is about how annoying the other half is...which is also annoying.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Options
    ntyravgspntyravgsp member
    edited August 2015
    I wasn't complaining about the state of the board, I was just answering the OP's question and yours. I agree that it is annoying, which is why I don't contribute much here anymore, but I don't come here with the express purpose of complaining about it.
    Edit typo
  • Options

However, one example I can specifically recall was someone found a great article on exercise and pregnancy and someone commented, "thanks for the PSA."

It's common courtesy to mention in your thread title if you're making a PSA. Granted it's not a guideline, but most of the time when people start threads they are asking a question or looking for contributions. The particular thread you mentioned did neither, it was merely unsolicited advice. Great that you appreciated it but not everyone else likes opening a thread to find someone else telling them what's best, regardless of the topic.
    So I guess (I think it was you who asked about this) that if there is a clique here, it's made of people who appreciate the give and take of conversations that were made here, rather than everyone just talking about themselves all the time.
  • Options
    Yeah it has been a little annoying lately. I really am bothered by the "I'm 16/17/18/19 weeks today!!!!!!!!!!" posts. We all are somewhere around there, this is the January 2016 board after all.
  • Options
    babybluu said:
    Is it just me, or is there something going on with the random weeks threads. "17 weeks today" and then everyone comments mushy gushy stuff like they're being totally serious. Am I missing out on an inside joke??
    Um, yeah take a look at who keeps bumping them.  It's mostly people from a certain group who think they are being funny or proving a point.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 

• Options
    ntyravgspntyravgsp member
    edited August 2015
    =D> L.O.L.

Also, if it's any consolation people should stop posting on the 16w one soon, the "end of the month group" is all nearly 17w now.
  • Options
    This thread has been closed to new posts due to the discussion’s unwelcoming tone. 

Creating threads in direct response to this one will be grounds for warning and/or removal from The Bump Community.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Use.

To review our Community guidelines, please visit the The Bump Guidelines pinned at the top of this board. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"