January 2016 Moms
Options

Baby Registry must haves

Please share what you couldn't live without or which products you never used. Trying to plan my registry ideas. Thanks!

Re: Baby Registry must haves

• Options
    Wiper warmer. But make sure you get a good one that won't dry out the wipes
  • Options

I had several changing stations throughout the house, so a wipe warmer wasn't practical.  Holding the wipe in your hand for a few seconds does the same thing.  Never used a bottle warmer, either.

The answers here will be all over the place.  What works for some doesn't for others.  Babies vary, too.  DD hated the swing, but it was the only place DS would nap.  Some moms swear by free-standing high chairs, others like space-saving ones that attach to the chair or table.  The Boppy and Bumbo didn't work for me, but others love it.  Etc. etc.

For me, I loved the Fisher Price cradle swing.  That and my double electric pump were pretty much the only must-haves that got a lot of daily use.  I also loved the Munchkin dishwasher basket.  We still use it right now for non-baby small stuff that can get lost in the washer otherwise.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It will vary person to person, but here's some practical things I was glad I registered for:
    Bottles (regular size, baby will grow out have half size quickly)
    Bottle drying rack
    Bottle brushes
    Dishwasher cage
    Spoons
    Baby bowels
    Diaper bag
    Boppy pillow and cover
    Pack of cloth diapers to use for burp rags
    Baby wash cloths
    Changing pad and 2 covers
    Extra sheets
    Infant car seat and toddler seat
    Bouncy seat
    First aid kit: thermometer, nail clippers

Things that were a waste:
    Pacifiers (he wouldn't take one)
    Baby food processor
    Pad that covers baby bed for teething ( he wasn't a chewer)
    Back up diaper bag
    Small bottles
    Too many baby towels
    Too many baby blankets
    Cover for car seat
    Cover for shopping cart
    Baby bath

• Options
    I agree with @SummerOH everybody's preferences are different. I never used a wipe warmer, we rarely used the swing. My dd loved the vibrate-y chair. The only things I used very often were my pump in style medela pump and the diaper genie. We got the munchkin arm and hammer diaper genie. My sister loved the Adain and Anias blankets, we never used them. The rocking chair and books were also a must for me, we spent a lot of time reading and rocking.
  • Options
    I'll second @DaphneMoon1 on the baby food maker being a waste. I'm still trying to offload the $200 one I bought and never used. Get an immersion blender instead. Keep tags on most things because, like everyone has said, needs and likes vary widely between parents and babies. I'd have some sort of most of the common things available, but be able to return.
  • Options
    ^^Oh yes. Forgot the immersion blender. Super easy to make and freeze your own baby food. I already had one, anyway.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    Thanks everyone! Good advice. Especially for items that can be purchased later on if needed (teething guards and pacifiers)
  • Options

I agree with @SummerOH everybody's preferences are different. I never used a wipe warmer, we rarely used the swing. My dd loved the vibrate-y chair. The only things I used very often were my pump in style medela pump and the diaper genie. We got the munchkin arm and hammer diaper genie. My sister loved the Adain and Anias blankets, we never used them. The rocking chair and books were also a must for me, we spent a lot of time reading and rocking.

Oh, I forgot the A&A blankets. DS is almost 3 and still loves them and sleeps with them.

I also went to a bunch of yard sales and racked up on used books for super cheap. 25-50 cents a book.
  • Options
    Lots of good suggestions! I agree that my DD didn't like the swing so buying used is good. I wouldn't register for any clothes or blankets because everyone buys you those anyways. The one thing I used a ton was changing pad liners. The Boppy brand from target was the best. They are just a white sheet like thing that goes on top of the changing pad cover. Seems stupid when you have a changing pad cover but believe me, it is sooo much easier tossing that thing in the laundry basket when you get something on it rather than changing the whole cover while you are holding a baby. I expect with little boys they would be even more useful!
  • Options
    Here were my favorite "could not live without" baby things:

Fischer Price Rock n Play
    Aden & Anias Swaddle Blankets & burp cloths
    BreastFriend Nursing Pillow
    4moms MamaRoo
    City Mini GT stroller
    Snap n Go Stroller (for infant car seat)
    Exersaucer of some kind
    Playmat for tummy time (PBK have great ones)
    Wubanub pacifiers
    Video monitor with temperature and ability to hook up to other cameras
    Sound machine -- we have a Fischer price seahorse, and ocean aquarium
    Moby wrap (may get a Solly or Sakura Bloom)
    Ergo 360
    Pack n Play w/ changing table & bassinet attached (used it downstairs as a baby changing area -- nursery was upstairs)
    Ju Ju Be BFF diaper bag
    Travel wipe carrying case
    Medela pump (insurance) and bottles
    Bumbo (didn't use for long but did find useful)
    Cloth washable nursing pads
    JJ Cole bundle me for infant car seat
    Bath seat/ hooded towels/ toys/ johnsons head to toe wash/ washcloths
    Jellycat stuffed animal / lovey
    Sophie the giraffe
    Oball

Things I didn't use:

Wipe warmer
    Diaper gene
    Bottle warmer
    Swing (baby hated it) we used Mamaroo
    Bouncy chair (we had rock n play)
    Bassinet (used rock n play and then right in the crib)
    Baby food maker (used blender and steamed in pot on stove -- was super easy)

I do agree with PP that different people found different things useful, but this is what worked for me.

Happy registering!

• Options
    My ergo carrier for sure!
  • Options
    Tons of wipes and diapers in all sizes!
  • Options
    mloubertmloubert member
    edited August 2015
    Great list @laineylove78! But if you didn't use your diaper genie, what did you use to put dirty diapers in? Or did you use cloth? I hated buying our diaper genie but we've used it everyday since DD was born, couldn't imagine not having it now.
  • Options
    Honestly? I thought it was gross. Keeping dirty diapers? Ick. I didn't even register for one.

I had a nursery upstairs and a changing area with PnP downstairs. I kept a small office sized trash can both upstairs and downstairs and at the end of the night I just dumped all the diapers into the kitchen trash and took them outside to the garbage. It took 2 seconds. BF babies don't really make smelly diapers. As she started solids and poo smelt bad I'd bring them downstairs right after and put them in the kitchen trash and take them out. I got scented or odor protected trash bags and never had a problem. If I thought they smelt I took them outside. It was never a big deal.

To each their own but a "tower of shit" was not staying in my house, and I thought a waste of money and more of a hassle then a convenience. Having to clean the whole thing out get refill bags etc? No thanks.
  • Options
    For those of you who made their own baby food (not using the baby bullet), what did you store it in? Small tupperware? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersbr>

• Options
    laineylove78laineylove78 member
    edited August 2015
    I used the baby beaba silicone trays and froze 2oz cubes and then stored the cubes in a freezer bag in the freezer. Then I just took out cubes as I needed and defrosted. So easy.

ETA: you can also use ice cube trays! They are 1oz each and then you can mix and match!

But I will say I only have her puréed food for a few months. By 8months she was mostly eating finger foods and puréed food just to make sure she was getting enough. By 10 months she was on all finger foods and she's a great eater now (13 months)
  • Options
    Gift cards!!!