November 2015 Moms
Options

why do your in laws bug the crap out of you?

It seems to be commonplace that in laws suck. And because I feel like I need to rant right now, I'd like to hear how yours bug you or just suck in general.

I hate visiting my FIL. Currently we are back in DH's hometown, so we're staying with my FIL. He chain smokes and does it in the house. Yuck. He does it in one room, luckily... but 90% of the time he forgets to close the door, so the house still smells like smoke. He is also perpetually late to everything. And if we're running late, he won't kick it into high gear to get moving either. It irks the shit out of me.
On top of that, having a schedule for a kid is nearly impossible. He doesn't eat dinner til like 830 or later... and that's SDs bedtime so we're fighting that all the time. And he doesn't give a single shit about bedtime and would let SD stay up til 1 in the morning or later if she didn't crash on her own. The icing on the cake is that the way he deals with all of the grandkids in the family drives me bonkers. I don't know how to describe that one, but just the way he is annoys me.
... safe to say, I'm counting down the days til the end of this "vacation."

Re: why do your in laws bug the crap out of you?

• Options
    I'm sorry things are going so crappy for you. I don't have any advice or anything but I hope the rest of your stay goes better
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Relief!! A place to speak my thoughts and not feel guilty.

My in laws scare me! We don't have a good relationship. I've tried but they aren't open people so everything is about their son (my hubby) and I'm just there. Problem I have is FIL is a baligerant alcoholic who smokes cigarettes and pot. My MIL smokes cigarettes. They live in this little apartment with no balcony and they smoke in the apartment. The walls are discolored, it reeks immediately when you walk in and when you leave you smell like smoke. I don't want our baby around that but they won't listen to me and my hubby always supports his parents. They have already started talking to my hubby about an overnight with the baby one day and the baby isn't even here yet! I don't think I could ever trust them especially if they won't communicate with me. Truthfully I don't even want the baby at there house. :(
  • Options
    My in laws are divorced and i dont have a problem with my FIL but my MIL drives me nuts i come from a pretty laud back family and her side of the family is very loud and over opinionated. Shes always talkig about the fact that " im small for bwing half way through my pregnancy" and "i dont eat enough" not just that seeing how she is with my sil daughter makes me worry about how we will get along when my baby comes. She treats the almost 4 year old niece like a baby she coddles her and freaks out every time she has a little trip and always over rules the mothers decisions in front of the child. If she does that to me i know i wont hesitate it snap on her.
  • Options
    Most of the time my in laws and I have a good relationship.. My FIL is a little crazy but nothing too crazy but my MIL... Went from perfectly fine.. To trying to control every aspect of my pregnancy.. I made my husbands favorite dish that I make which is shepards pie.. She didn't think I should eat it because the meat was too fatty for the baby... So she has decided that she will do all of the cooking.. Because apparently convincing my husband that spicy food was bad for the baby wasn't enough!!!! I grabbed my tapatio and put some on my shepards pie and ate it anyway.. When I'm hungry for something I'm going to eat it!!!!! I have been having food aversions again so when I want something NOBODY is going to get in my way!!!
  • Options

Most of the time my in laws and I have a good relationship.. My FIL is a little crazy but nothing too crazy but my MIL... Went from perfectly fine.. To trying to control every aspect of my pregnancy.. I made my husbands favorite dish that I make which is shepards pie.. She didn't think I should eat it because the meat was too fatty for the baby... So she has decided that she will do all of the cooking.. Because apparently convincing my husband that spicy food was bad for the baby wasn't enough!!!! I grabbed my tapatio and put some on my shepards pie and ate it anyway.. When I'm hungry for something I'm going to eat it!!!!! I
    have been having food aversions again so when I want something NOBODY is going to get in my
    way!!!

If someone tried to stop me from eating spicy food i wouls probly go on a killing spree.. My MIL thinks i SHOULD be eating fatty foods and such because apparently veggies and chicken isn't good enough
  • Options
    alisonrmc said:

Most of the time my in laws and I have a good relationship.. My FIL is a little crazy but nothing too crazy but my MIL... Went from perfectly fine.. To trying to control every aspect of my pregnancy.. I made my husbands favorite dish that I make which is shepards pie.. She didn't think I should eat it because the meat was too fatty for the baby... So she has decided that she will do all of the cooking.. Because apparently convincing my husband that spicy food was bad for the baby wasn't enough!!!! I grabbed my tapatio and put some on my shepards pie and ate it anyway.. When I'm hungry for something I'm going to eat it!!!!! I
    have been having food aversions again so when I want something NOBODY is going to get in my
    way!!!

If someone tried to stop me from eating spicy food i wouls probly go on a killing spree.. My MIL thinks i SHOULD be eating fatty foods and such because apparently veggies and chicken isn't good enough

She wants me to eat learner beef... I usually get the 93-7 from Walmart.. My husband has realized her little spicy food thing came from Facebook so he doesn't try to talk me out of it anymore lol but my MIL will try everything in her power to get me to not eat it!!! I'm so ready for this baby to be born so she will go back to normal!!!
  • Options
    Because they're so friggin perfect and adorable and I love them. It's awful!
  • Options
    Mother in law says my son wont know im his mom because ill be going back to work after he's born and my mom will baby sit in our home.
  • Options
    Mine just drives me insane when I have a newborn. She will not give back the baby if they are crying and she wants me to let her bottle feed but I breastfeed so really crying=give baby back NOW
  • Options
    My in-laws are, as someone else said, not open at all and so have just never really spoke to me in the 7 years my husband and I have been together. Everything is about his job, and they never ask about me or the baby. When they visit though my MIL wants to control everything. My husband says she has always been manipulative and his whole family walks on eggshells around her constantly, letting her do whatever she wants. They haven't had contact in about 20 years with his grandparents or aunt/uncles/cousins because his mom is holding some insane grudge against them. So she used to rearrange things in our house and made herself at home, but my husband and I put a stop to that. When we finally bought a house and moved in she tried doing that and we just said no way (I also didn't know I was pregnant at the time I got a bit hormonal!!). They also stayed at the house and when they left I went to tidy up the guest room and bathroom figuring all I would need to do is change sheets, vacuum, etc. just standard cleaning. But it was like they moved in!!!! They had everything set up like they wanted and in the bathroom she had replaced the guest stuff with their stuff, and left their towels and things everywhere. I boxed it all up and told them when they came back that they could take it with them. His mom hasn't spoken to me since and they no longer will stay at our house, but I knew I had to set boundaries. She loves to stay near my SIL because my SIL lets her do whatever she wants, and she can totally baby her (which my husband and I find soooo disturbing!!). Also she seemed semi-excited about the baby but as soon as we told her it was a girl she just basically started ignoring it, aside from comments like "If you were having a boy you would be able to eat that pork" since I've had a huge meat aversion. I asked my husband about it and he said she doesn't like to ask about the pregnancy because I had a miscarriage before and she thought I wouldn't want to talk about it. I'm like… I'm 6 months pregnant. and our nursery is done. Yea I was super cautious until we got to about 15 weeks but obviously I am over that! And she was completely fine hounding us about baby gear and the nursery in the first trimester sooooo pretty sure he's just trying to cover for her complete disinterest!!!

That was a very long rant. Can you tell they're coming to visit this week??? haha - need to get it all off my chest! Thankfully husband and FIL are renovating the kitchen so I'm going to stay with my parents because I think the drywall and stuff will be bad for the baby (or so I told them). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm totally ok with my FIL. He's sweet and very mindful of boundaries. My MIL is a different story. She is very loving and always means well but she is so intrusive. She ALWAYS wants to be with DD and ALWAYS wants EVERYTHING to be a family activity. She wants to go on vacation with us, she wants us to spend our entire weekends with them at their shore house, offers to babysit every day (sometimes several times a day), she texts me novels about what she talks to her son about.... She has NO boundaries. 

After DD was born she kept coming over to my house unannounced "to help." I didn't need her help but she couldn't hear that. So she insisted so much I let her stay one day and she just sat across from me on the couch while I uncomfortably tried to learn to breastfeed while covering myself. I resented her. She also kept coming into my house unannounced. Like literally walking up the stairs and knocking on the door of my master bath WTF. When I told her to call before coming over and not to let herself in she got offended. So i later had to tell her I get scared easily and need her to knock so I am not scared. She could deal with that. It's like having a little child you have to make stories for. 

Last part of my vent. MIL is intrusive. She is also helpful. Part of me resents her because she is closer than my mom and I wish my mom could help more so every time she comes over and helps it makes me feel guilty that my mom doesn't have the same ability to come by whenever.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine love to favor my bil and his family over us all the time like they can do no wrong and we can't do anything right until they need something then they love us. My sil is due only a week after us too so if I hear that our kids are going to be twins one more time I'm going to blow. This is going to be our first and her second but the in laws won't even recognize that I'm pregnant unless it's to tease me about something (this week it was calling me a wide load, even tho I've barely have gained any weight because of how sick I've been the whole 25 weeks)
  • Options
    My MIL is hurt that I accepted my mother's offer to throw me a baby shower and politely turned down hers. I explained that we wanted to have one big shower so the guests aren't split. Plus, since my mother lives so far away, she never got to throw me a bridal shower. My MIL did that for me instead. She never gets mad, but her feelings get hurt about the tiniest things.
  • Options
    rachswirachswi member
    edited August 2015
    My MIL informed me that if my mom didn't come stay with us to help out when the baby was born, she would...

... of course, then later my mom informed me that not only was she planning on coming down, but she would be buy a queen size memory foam mattress for us to put in one of our spare rooms for people to stay in (we live in a 4-BR parsonage and this is our first child so we have the space)... nice to know she comes with her own bed...
  • Options
    flasflas member
    I have no problems with my MIL and I barely see my FIL ( they're divorced with good reason) but I am not having fun dealing with my BIL and SIL. They have rude bratty children that they never discipline. Not an outing with them goes by where I don't have to say something to one of the kids. I would rather mine not be around them as mine are starting to pick up their bad habits but we only live a couple of streets away so it's pretty impossible. They feel it's perfectly okay to smoke around me and my children. Every time they sit down beside me and light up I just walk away. My SIL offered to watch the baby for me if I wanted to return to work early and I politely said thank you for the offer but there is no way I'm letting my newborn be at her house that reeks of cigarettes and cat piss. She also has a sister who has 3 kids. My MIL has 2 cottages ( they're a bit run down but the area is nice) and we go out there sometimes. Someday a SIL invites Her sister and their 3 bratty kids out who then mooch food off of my poor MIL the whole day and then expect supper. They even did this during a family reunion that they shouldn't have even been invited to in the first place. My MIL bought a used trampoline which this sisters kids then monopolize while MIL's grandkids have to sit and watch, even though SIL has her own trampoline and pool that her kids and her nieces and nephews use. We don't have any of that kind of stuff. I know MIL is starting to get pissed too cause we talked about it. Thankfully I know she'll stand up for herself.
  • Options
    My MIL and I got along just fine... Until I was pregnant. Since getting pregnant I've only heard from her for her to tell me that I don't know how to balance my money when the only reason I didn't have any was because my husband, her son, was out of work for a while. Thankfully, he now has a good job so I don't have to hear about that anymore. She's never once asked how I'm doing but had no problem calling up my husband's ex to find out how she was doing with her second pregnancy (not her grandchild). She's stated she will not be attending my baby shower as she doesn't want to drive the 2 hrs from where she lives to where we live and insists that we will have to visit her when baby is born. Um, it's a lot easier for her to come to us than us to pack up a new born in winter and come to her. Plus they never turn their heat on and Canadian winters are cold... I'm not putting my child through that.
    My FIL and my husband don't really get along so the fact that he hasn't inquired about baby at all doesn't bother me. It actually suits me fine.
    Rant over.
  • Options
    My in-laws make me stabby. I could go on for days, but I'll just tell you about the most recent craziness.

So my MIL wants my SO and I to start calling family members and asking what they plan on purchasing off the registry. First off, registries are gift-grabby as it is, so there is NO way I would call someone and ask them what they are planning on buying us. Wtf. I don't know where this is coming from, but she is insisting on it, and keeps suggesting that certain family members could buy certain things. Obviously it will be super generous and appreciated if any family member buys us anything at all, but I would NEVER just expect someone to buy something for me. I know she's just being like this because she's trying (poorly) to make up for the way she treated us when we first announced our pregnancy. It's as if she thinks if we get everything off the registry, she can take credit for it and we will forgive her. She's lost her marbles.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @CarrieOct15, this kind of nonsense is happening in my family too. We haven't gotten to the calling people and asking what they're planning on getting, but some various family members are VERY annoyed that they don't yet know who's buying what from the registry. 
  • Options
    @CarrieOct15, this kind of nonsense is happening in my family too. We haven't gotten to the calling people and asking what they're planning on getting, but some various family members are VERY annoyed that they don't yet know who's buying what from the registry. 
    Gaaahh, it's insanity! I've never heard of anything like this before. I thought the whole point of a registry is so you can list what you need, and people can pick from the list and also see what's already been purchased so far. I'm uncomfortable enough "asking" people for stuff via a register, but literally asking people what they are buying for me just takes it to a whole different level. Sorry you're dealing with this, too!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Gaaahh, it's insanity! I've never heard of anything like this before. I thought the whole point of a registry is so you can list what you need, and people can pick from the list and also see what's already been purchased so far. I'm uncomfortable enough "asking" people for stuff via a register, but literally asking people what they are buying for me just takes it to a whole different level. Sorry you're dealing with this, too!
    Hmmmmmm, funny that's what I thought a registry was for too!!!  ;)
  • Options
    My mil saw a post on Facebook that my brother wished my SIL a happy anniversary. She and I have the same first name so when she got married we now have the same surname as well. So my MIL told my husband she thought I was having an affair and was married to someone else. It was my bloody brother dang it.
  • Options
    estick814 said:
    My mil saw a post on Facebook that my brother wished my SIL a happy anniversary. She and I have the same first name so when she got married we now have the same surname as well. So my MIL told my husband she thought I was having an affair and was married to someone else. It was my bloody brother dang it.
    Oh. My. God. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options

estick814 said:

Oh. My. God. 

Tell me about it
  • Options
    Honestly, I get along with my in-laws just fine. However, we have a HUGE difference in opinion when it comes to schedules and routine. My daughters (4 1/2 and 3) are on a schedule. It is not super strict, but I expect them to have about an hour or so of quiet time in the afternoon, and they have a bed time of 8 even during the summer. They think I am crazy for having such a 'strict' plan for them, but it keeps all of us sane. DH often complains because I do not like our girls spending the night at their house often since I am the one who has to deal with the cranky aftermath from their complete disregard to schedule. Maybe now that my SIL and nephew are no longer living at their house, it will get better and they won't be going to bed at 10:30! All I can say is this is why our girls will be staying with my parents when this LO is born. They respect the schedule which will be super important since they will be in school when baby comes.