November 2015 Moms
Options

Baby Shower Venues???

I'm helping my mom find a location for my shower since (before you call me tacky) I moved out of state away from family and friends and she's not familiar with my area. So I was wondering where are you guys having your baby showers? I contacted a few venues that are specific to events like baby showers and found them to be ridiculously expensive considering I have a small number of people to invite and was wondering were there location types I'm not thinking of...??? I don't belong to any churches which would have been ideal as they have big spaces and are affordable, and my mom really wanted to bake cute desserts so a restaurant is out of the question... Any ideas?

Re: Baby Shower Venues???

• Options
    Library meeting rooms are usually nice and don't cost an arm or a leg. 
  • Options
    Restaurants are pretty flexible. I'm an event planner and when a baby shower comes along we waive the rental fee and offer a free welcome drink. We'll do a buffet or limited menu for an affordable price. That kinda stuff is pretty normal so don't be afraid to ask. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine is being held at an Italian restaurant called Brio. It's a chain. They mentioned desserts had to be store bought, but I'm making my own cupcakes for the shower and I'm sure they'll never know. We had my bridal shower at a different Italian restaurant. They told us the same thing, but when the time came, no one "inspected" our baked goods or anything like that. 
  • Options
    Have you checked with area hotels?  Many have meeting areas that would work well for an event like a shower.
  • Options
    Are there any Elks Clubs, American Legions, veterans -type centers in your area? Often they will rent out their meeting space for reasonable rates.
  • Options
    urby87 said:

Have you checked with area hotels?  Many have meeting areas that would work well for an event like a shower.

I second this, my friend is having hers at a hotel! Or even apartment complexes have a rec room of sorts, my other friend had hers at her sisters!
  • Options
    Is there a local park that has a nice pavilion? I know of a few people that have had showers at the ones at home. My cousin's wife had hers at a local pizza place, which also made food easier. Mine is being held in one of the rooms at the community house. It worked well for my bridal shower so it's being done there again.
  • Options
    I second the recommendations to look for veterans halls and elks club like places. They all have rooms and are typically pretty affordable. Also check out community centers. All of the towns around us have community centers with rooms that can be rented out and the rental price even includes tables and chairs.
  • Options
    I second a restaurant. I actually had mine at a Chinese restaurant. They did not charge for the room at all we just paid for food and could bring our own desserts. If I remember correctly I think they gave my host a discount on food because she pre ordered. I think I only had about 20 people and it was perfect.
    Also, I think we got the room for free because we had it at an off peak time for them. It was Sunday afternoon. Cost was a big issue for my host, and a few people including myself pitched in calling places to fine somewhere with her budget.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My mom doesn't live near me either. She's hosting my shower right in my apartment since it's very big and open (living room, kitchen, and dining room all flow together.) My husband will take me out to breakfast and to run errands the morning of while she decorates and the shower will be in the early afternoon.
  • Options
    Am I reading correctly that your mom is coming to your town to throw shower?  If so, would your home be available?  I know some people would be nervous as that coming off as themselves hosting the shower, but I'm sure everyone will know that your mother is the hostess (especially if the invites are rsvp to her).  It would be convenient for you and your mother could bake in your kitchen.  
    I had my shower at my parents house even though it was my aunt who was the hostess.  It was really nice and relaxing!
  • Options
    urby87 said:

That's what I was thinking!!
  • Options
    Both of my showers will be held at churches - one up in my home town at the church I grew up in, the other at the church where my husband is the pastor (also conveniently right next door to where I live).

Even if you aren't religious, you may still be able to hold it in a church fellowship hall.
  • Options
    I'm having mine at a local state park... You rent it for the whole day but it's only $125... Only bad part is people will have to pay $5 to enter the park... I asked if I could make passes so my guest could get in free and they told me all the need is a template.. But I'll have to pay that later.. Which isn't an issue... I'm not asking a bunch of people to come (well technically I'm giving my mom a list and asking her to invite those people) so it shouldn't be too big of an issue
  • Options
    KeHill08 said:

Is there a local park that has a nice pavilion? I know of a few people that have had showers at the ones at home. My cousin's wife had hers at a local pizza place, which also made food easier. Mine is being held in one of the rooms at the community house. It worked well for my bridal shower so it's being done there again.

Ours was at a nice place on a lake. Both sets of ILS paid I don't think it was much at all. They had a kitchen, tables and chairs you provided the rest. You had to clean up and as long as you did a good job keeping it nice you got the deposit back.
  • Options
    My family is hosting mine at a local community center. It's actually an old renovated school house and is perfect for a close family/friends shower. The price was only $35 for 4 hours with a $50 deposit. It included tables and chairs for 40 people. Maybe there is something similar in your area?
  • Options
    My cousin found a nice city park pavilion that has a playground and a bathroom near it. I think it was only about $90.00 or $100.00.
  • Options
    The only things with hotels and venues like that is they charge for catering. They normally come with a event planner that uses her people. I had a place want a minimum of $2000 for food catering. What about club houses ?
  • Options
    Apartments and housing developments will often have club houses that can be rented out for a fairly inexpensive amount.  Military bases have areas that can be rented out.  Local parks are cheap and depending on where you're located September/October is the perfect time of year for outdoors.  (I'm in Coastal GA where summer is oppressively hot and humid, but autumn is in the 60's/70's.)  Your local YMCA or other community group may have space available. 

Also, when you call any of these places to find out about them ask if they know of any place that will fit the bill.  They probably receive questions like this frequently and may have some go to spots they can tell you about. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    What about a fire hall? I've been to many showers at fire halls that have cost next to nothing to rent out. Or like a pp said, are your or anyone you know a member of a club/lodge that could be rented out? I am a member of a Slovak club and Italian lodge and both have extremely nice/smoke free halls/pavilions you can rent out as a member for around $50.
  • Options
    AmoLovesAudAmoLovesAud member
    edited August 2015

I wouldn't rule out restaurants just because your mom wants to bring a dessert.  My mom's wedding reception was in a restaurant* and they were totally fine letting her (well, my cousin) bring in a cake.  Some of them have a minimum head count that you have to buy meals for, but not all (and sometimes, if its only 1 or 2 over your actual guest list, they'll just box the extra meals up for you to take home!)

*ETA: to clarify, it wasn't some giant wedding party where we rented the whole place.  They placed us our own room, but that was just because it was the best spot to fit a table for about 15 people.

• Options
    Mine will be at an italian pizzeria. They have a party room that you can use at no charge. Ill be feeding about 30 people; salads, pizza and chicken alfredo for about 250.
  • Options
    Do you have golf courses around you? My MIL is hosting her shower at our local club.
    I second the house one - that's what my mom is doing (she's out of town) and just having a laid back BBQ with all their friends.
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited August 2015
    The only things with hotels and venues like that is they charge for catering. They normally come with a event planner that uses her people. I had a place want a minimum of $2000 for food catering. What about club houses ?
    Some places do have requirements like that, but some don't.  I work in a hotel, and if you want to just bring in a cake and some punch, we will totally let you do that.  If it's a big, high-maintenance event like a wedding, then yes, we'll have a sales person working closely with you and require you to use our catering, but for something simpler we'll sometimes just do a flat room charge and waive catering requirements.
  • Options
    jscasher said:

urby87 said:

I second this, my friend is having hers at a hotel! Or even apartment complexes have a rec room of sorts, my other friend had hers at her sisters!
    My shower was at a hotel in their meeting room. It was great. They set it up, they provided coffee and hot water for tea. We had our own washroom. It was great. Actually I've used the same room for both of my boys first birthday parties! :)
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    Do you have any friends who live in apartment complexes? Some of them have pool houses or meeting rooms, and would have a low fee for rental by residents.

I've been to parties in hotel meeting rooms where they allowed people to self-cater, it probably just depends on the hotel.
  • Options
    The town I grew up in has a room for rent in the municipal building.
  • Options
    Mine is being held at an Italian restaurant called Brio. It's a chain. They mentioned desserts had to be store bought, but I'm making my own cupcakes for the shower and I'm sure they'll never know. We had my bridal shower at a different Italian restaurant. They told us the same thing, but when the time came, no one "inspected" our baked goods or anything like that. 
    Where at? I worked at a Brio here in South Florida and you can definitely bring your own desserts!!
  • Options
    One is at a restaurant
    One is at a friends house
    One is at a country club
  • Options
    Mine is going to be at a Columbian restaurant that has extra rooms for private parties. I'm having 25-30 people and someone is making a dessert for the group. The restaurant put together a menu for the group at an affordable rate for my hostess and she can even decorate the room how she wants to.
  • Options
    One of my showers will be at the clubhouse in my neighborhood. I had to be the one to put my name down to rent it, but of course my hostesses are footing the bill (only $75). It will be super convenient bc, while my husband isn't attending, he will be able to drive his truck right over and load up our gifts and drive them back to our house to unload. I have no clue where my other shower is being held...I guess I'll find out when I receive my own invitation in the mail!