Baby Names
Options

Sibling Name

So I think we've pretty much decided on a name for DS but thought it would be fun to get some input from the internet! We chose a pretty unique name for DD, naming her after my grandfather. Her name is Waverly Grace. I get a lot of comments on how unique it is and I've also heard a few say "Oh, does that mean your next child will have a unique name!?" We like using family names so we are pretty certain we will use my husband's grandfather's name this go around. We really like the name Charlie Neal. I also like how it sounds with Waverly even though Charlie isn't as unique. Just curious what other's thoughts are! Thank you!

Re: Sibling Name

• Options
    Charles Neal would be a fabulous name for a boy, and will grow up with him, whereas Charlie is forever a child.

Give your child a name they can grow with, not one that stunts their growth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Charlie is a nickname. I think you owe your son a full name like his sister. Charles Neal is an awesome name!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    Another vote for Charles Neal.  He may go by Charlie even as an adult, but I think he should have a  formal name.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Really appreciate the input. We were thinking along those lines too. Before we knew it was a boy we were thinking Charlotte or Charles. My husband wasn't crazy about Charles which is why we were talking about Charlie. Another fun tidbit is my grandmother named her children nicknames. My dad was Don (not Donald), uncle Johnny (not John or Johnathan), etc. So I thought it'd be kind of neat to follow her tradition as well. 

On the other hand, I have seen with my dad where it caused some trouble so to speak. Even with Don he had people tell him he wasn't filling paper work out properly because he wasn't using his full name. They had a hard time understanding his name is legally Don. 

So I totally see where all of you are coming from with sticking with Charles. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    I get wanting to follow in your grandmother's footsteps, but I agree with PP that having a formal first name is the way to go. You could introduce him to the world as Charlie but when he fills out important documents in the future and sends in resumes he'll have Charles to fall back on even if he still goes by the nn.

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • Options
    My FIL has the same issue he is Billy and his brothers are Bobby and Benny, they've all said they wish they were given full names for professional purposes, just a little food for thought
  • Options
    How about Neal Charlie? I don't think I hear kids named Neal very often. It kind of makes it more unique if that's what you're going for.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i agree with the others charlie is a nn and on a 50 year old not so cute.
  • Options
    I had a friend named Kananaugh growing up and it was a family name. She went by Kav. Her siblings were Emily and Daniel. So I don't think it's necessary to give them all super unique names. Charles Neal is good though!
  • Options
    Charlie is a good nn for Charles, but I would side-eye it with Waverly. I don't think you need to go with something overly unique, but Charles is so classic that I feel the names are really at odds. Maybe pick a more underused first name and use Charles as the middle?
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    crf4crf4 member
    @magfranklin billy, bobby and benny?! holy crap she would have been flamed on this board ;) (and for good reason might I add lol)
  • Options
    Definitely Charles with Charlie as the nn. Neal as a first name isn't seen very often, so switching it around would work if you're dead set on Charlie.
  • Options
    I would vote for Charles with NN Charlie. But alternatives might be Charlton, Carlisle, Carlton with NN Charlie.