Nurseries and Baby Gear

Bumbo seats ??

What are your opinions on them ?
Did your baby use the bumbo a lot and help Lo sit by themselves ?
Would you recommend getting one

Re: Bumbo seats ??

• We used a bumbo seat because it was a gift, but honestly I wouldn't buy one. It does the same thing as a high chair IMO.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I didn't want one, but my mom insisted and bought one. DS hated it. If you want to try one, buy it used (but make sure it includes the strap from the recall). Not worth buying new.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't want one but our neighbors had one and brought it over for us to borrow. It was fine but after about 2 weeks (and only in it for 10 minutes at a time) she figured how to arch her back to look like she was tipping it. It went back to the neighbors after that. My kid sat on her own early (4 months) so we didn't need much "help" positioning her.

I agree that buying used is the way to go.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • My DD had chunky legs so she wasn't able to use it very long. It was basically pointless for us to have
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD had chunky legs so she wasn't able to use it very long. It was basically pointless for us to have

This exactly.

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Check out the mamas and papas chair! It is much wider than the bumbo at the opening and has a removable insert. We have used it to attach toys and for arts/sensory things. We love ours and even though she can crawl and pull up on things, my LO is still happy to sit in her seat and play with the attached toys for short periods of times while I switch laundry and such :) it's available at toys r us and they usually have a big chair get free toy attachment deals!

• My friends have said not to bother with this item.
  • We like the Mamas and Papas seat much better. My son is almost 3 and can still fit in it.
  • We had this instead. Summer Infant 3-Stage SuperSeat: Positioner, Activity Seat, and Booster, Neutral https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4E9WLI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_8SRUvb87W72PM

I feel that the Bumbo is too easy to tip over.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My daughter used ours maybe 4 times. I thought it was pointless.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used it as a high chair for about 2 months from 6-8 months so about a month after she learned to sit unassisted. We were in the middle of moving to another state so I was waiting to buy a full sized high chair. I didn't use it much for baby #2 because he was crawling by 6 months and could escape it in about 10 seconds.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Idk if it'll get used much, but I bought one at a garage sale for a few bucks. I figure even if we don't use it I won't be out much.
  • I will not be using one after reading this article: https://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-15/health/ct-met-bumbo-posture-20120315_1_physical-therapists-developmental-benefits-babies 

The first time I saw my friend's baby in one, I thought to myself that it seemed like a bad idea.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • When I was pregnant with my DS I wanted a bumbo seat SOOO bad.
    I received one at my baby shower and used it literally like 5 times. That said when he would go to my sisters house while I was working she used it a lot. I think its the same as a highchair and wouldn't buy it again.
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • I got one at a garage sale my husband's cousin was having.  My son used it MAYBE 10 times - his legs were chunky & would get stuck.  I use it more often with my daughter but only because I don't want to drag the highchair out yet so she sits in it on the table (GASP) with us while we eat.  It has the straps, but I don't use them & frankly I'd love to rip them out.  I would never pay full price for one though & plan to sell ours once my daughter is in the highchair.  My 2 year old son loves to sit in it for fun though & his legs probably fit in better now than when he was 6 months old - he's such a string bean now.
  • We didn't get one for our DD, just because I knew that it wouldn't get used long. When she was eating, she was in her Space Saver high chair seat. And if she was playing on the floor, she was sitting with her Boppy behind her.

My cousin had one and could barely get her 6 month old in it because of his thighs, and he was average sized.

And nothing irks me more, than people that get Bumbos and think that it is so great that their tiny baby is "sitting"....while the baby has its head ached back and its arms flailing like they are falling backwards. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I personally bought a bumbo seat used from a Facebook yard sale site, I don't think I could pay the full price for the seat as I don't think it's worth it. However, I have seen babies like the bumbo seat but are only content with it for a small amount of time. I got one because it was cheap and just bought a cover to go over it. But overall, I wouldn't buy a brand new one.