February 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone pay for 3 in childcare at 1 time?

I'm freaking out a little. We are losing our beloved daycare lady in may and will have to move our 2 boys and figure out new daycare for baby. We paid 550$ for the boys plus preschool before. I knew our Lady was really reasonable but after looking ahead it looks like we'll be jumping up to 900$ a month now minimally. I knew it would go up but I guess I'm just looking for encouragement from anyone who did that and made it through or those that will be doing so. We can do it but it'll be kinda tight for a while. We are both full time workers btw.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone pay for 3 in childcare at 1 time?

• Options
    We are in OH, so I'm sure rats are probably a little cheaper than other areas in the States, but I will pay $300/week for all 3 during summer and I will pay $250/week when DS is in school and once DD starts next school year, $200/week during school.  She is amazing and we are extremely lucky that we pay so little for someone that I trust.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We will be very close. I'm hoping DS1 can start pre-k next year so we don't have a daycare cost associated.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm freaking out a little. We are losing our beloved daycare lady in may and will have to move our 2 boys and figure out new daycare for baby. We paid 550$ for the boys plus preschool before. I knew our Lady was really reasonable but after looking ahead it looks like we'll be jumping up to 900$ a month now minimally. I knew it would go up but I guess I'm just looking for encouragement from anyone who did that and made it through or those that will be doing so. We can do it but it'll be kinda tight for a while. We are both full time workers btw.
    Are you doing in-home daycare then or a center? This will only be our second child but we will be paying a little over $1200/mo. Our toddler goes to an early education center which is $195/week, but drops $10 after he turns 3 (big whoop, lol) they want $225/week for the newborn alone so we are taking the baby to our old in-home provider, who is $125/wk no matter the age of the child. I know things will be tight until at least our oldest is in school but I think it's worth it to keep moving forward in my career. 

Do you have a childcare FSA where either of you work, possibility to work PT from home at all? I am hoping to work PT from home and come in a few days/week. 

I'd love to hear how other families are cutting expenses also - we plan to keep my car for awhile longer after it's paid which will be less than a year after this LO is born, also our son is on income based healthcare offered in our state - the most you pay is $20/per child a month. I just look at it, it's not forever and we will be way better off once everyone is in school - even though, that may feel like an eternity sometimes! Sorry if I'm not much help, just wanted to let you know there's other people out there in a similar situation!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just fly them to me every day. I only charge $100/wk per child at my in-home ;)
  • Options
    Lol sounds perfect Twindling;) Not expensive at all! I think just hearing others are struggling but making it helps. I keep reminding myself it's temporary but right now just seems scary. It's funny but on paper when I write things out we should still have plenty of money but it just never works out that way. Also, I know that what we pay is minimal compared to what some of you in bigger towns/cities pay. Definitely can't work from home as I'm an xray/CT tech. Thanks for the other suggestions tho. Will have to look into the FSA.
  • Options
    this will be #3 in daycare for us too. it does stress me a little to think about having to pay for 3 but we live in low cost area and right now we pay $250/wk for the 2. not sure how much 3 will be. My DH assures me we will be fine but I keep reminding myself if we stay in NY it will only be 5 mo and DS1 will be in school.
  • Options
    We won't have three in daycare---but with two we will be paying more in daycare than our mortgage. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have three in daycare now. We fortunately are able to get county daycare assistance because before we did I was making nothing, literally. After daycare and gas I was paying to go to work after #3 was born. My daycare provider is the one who suggested it. Right now we pay $375 every 2 weeks, we'll see how that changes once #4 comes.

It's a nice thing to be able to use in order to keep working and get some help while in the daycare stage. If I didn't work, I'd loose my license and all my hard work and schooling would have been for nothing.
  • Options
    Have you considered a nanny? I don't know about cost but you may want to check into it.

• Options
    I'm terrified to look at daycare costs! I'm hoping my MIL will watch him/her one day, my dad another, my husband has 2 days off during the week and I have weekends off so I would only need 1 day/week...

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    g8trkim said:

Have you considered a nanny? I don't know about cost but you may want to check into it.

Or a nanny- share

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We will have one in preschool and two in daycare - monthly expenses for us will be close to $2,500 if I work full time. Our oldest will be in preschool 2 more years before she can start kindergarten, which will lower the cost quite a bit - but yeah, it sounds ridiculous and is basically like a second mortgage. We have actually looked into an au pair, which could be cheaper than what we are paying But I'm not sure about the whole living in thing. We have several friends who have used one and had wonderful experiences though! Also know lots of people who nanny share, and depending on your hours sometimes churches have drop in care that is very affordable. I don't have many good tips, but feel your pain!
    Due 3.27.14 (lame because I cannot figure out how to save a fun ticker.....)
  • Options
    We will only have 2 in daycare but it will be about $2600 once the new baby starts. Not looking forward to this at all but it will only be for a little over a year until my son starts kindergarten so we will just have to make it work.
  • Options
    Im in Texas and currently pay 250/week for my DS to attend a great DC in our hometown. When LO is born we will be paying 550/week for both to attend. Hopefully DS will graduate to the 3's classroom and we will get a $50/week break, but I don't see that happening until well into next year... I feel your pain.

View Full Size Image

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• Options
    Reading some of these costs make me cringe! I agree with the suggestion to look into a nanny to see if that would be a more cost-friendly option.

I agree that you have to keep in the mind set of "it's only temporary", you won't have to pay for infant/child care forever. I'll be going part time (hopefully) after this LO is born and I know it's going to be really tight financially, but I try to keep reminding myself that it won't last forever, and I'll be able to pick up more hours when they're in preschool.

• Options
    Some of these costs blow my mind! I don't know how you guys do it. Damn kids;)
  • Options
    I'm scared about only one...

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    In Seattle full time infant care starts around 2k a month. And that's pretty standard. Fortunately most moms here know this and plan accordingly which is why most people start their families later here. Most simply can't afford it in their twenties, understandably!!
  • Options
    Madison (WI) area. We will have 2 in day care and it will be a little over $1,300 a month!

• Options
    I can't even read the comments because I know the potential costs will put me in tears. Lol! We won't have to do daycare for two years or so (in which DS1 will be in school), but it's still terrifying since we are penny pinching to pay off debt.
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    So even though my kids are turning 16 and 9 this year...my oldest is in private school ($400/mo) and my youngest goes to a before/after care program ($600/mo)...I see alot of you saying that you won't have to worry about costs once your kids start school but was wondering if you considered that you may need someone to watch them before and after school depending on your work schedule. My son's elementary school hours are 9-3:45 and my daycare costs for him didn't really change once he started school. They do watch him when school is closed for holidays and pick him up for early dismissals, etc. so I don't need to take off work. The thought that my costs are likely going to be close to $2k/mo is pretty scary!!