Baby Names

Help with Croatian Names

My husband and I are both from Croatia and would like for our baby to have a Croatian name. It is also important to us for that name to translate easily to the English language. We never thought this would be so hard since we are both Croatian and are familiar with the names. We are team green this time and our daughter is Al.ena. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Help with Croatian Names

• Anja
    Blanka
    Brigita
    Danica
    Ena
    Filipa
    Hana
    Ines
    Jasmina
    Lara
    Mirela
    Nevena
    Petra
    Sabina
    Sonja
    Tajana
    Vilma
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Lukas, Gabriel, Sebastian, Emil, Adrian, Niko, Patrik, Mateo, Ivan

Petra, Lana, Ana, Ela, Klara, Katarina, Gabriela, Eva, Paola, Viktoria, Korina
  • Loading the player...
  • Nice suggestions! I like Mirela and Lukas. Mirela is pretty and easy to pronounce.
  • Anja
    Blanka
    Brigita
    Danica
    Ena
    Filipa
    Hana
    Ines
    Jasmina
    Lara
    Mirela
    Nevena
    Petra
    Sabina
    Sonja
    Tajana
    Vilma
    sorry just realized I only gave girl names. love the suggestions of Lukas, Mateo, and Ivan.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• I love the suggestions of Anja, Danica, Lukas and Matteo!

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • I just looked at a big list and the two that stuck out to me were Karolina and Margareta. Gorgeous.
  • Thank you ladies! I would have had names a long time ago but my DH is the one being picky. Any name I suggest is too common for him. I'll have him look thru your suggestions!
  • I like Branka also.
  • Out of the names suggested I love Niko for a boy and Korina or Katarina for a girl. My mom's side is Croatian so I love your thread and choosing a Croatian name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you're both from Croatia why do you need us to Google and list names you grew up around? Why not just tell us the ones you're considering?
  • Tea, pronounced Tay-uh
    I went to school with a girl from Croatia with that name. Very pretty.
  • I think Anja is actually too hard for many to pronounce correctly. I know as my good friend had that problem.
  • I went to school with a Croatian girl named Ivana. Although it might be a bit to close to your DDs name.

I also really like Ana, Iva, Tea, Katarina, and Nela for girls. Dominik, Mateo, and Luka for boys.

• If you're both from Croatia why do you need us to Google and list names you grew up around? Why not just tell us the ones you're considering?

I wasn't asking for anyone to google names. Just wanted to see if anyone could throw out a few names that we haven't considered. And the issue is that we aren't considering any at this point because we can't agree.
  • OP, could you inform us what your top choices or style of name would be? I see that you and your DH don't agree, but what are your picks and what would his be?
  • Linsbins said:

OP, could you inform us what your top choices or style of name would be? I see that you and your DH don't agree, but what are your picks and what would his be?

I like more classic names like David, Robert, etc. He hasn't really suggested anything, just vetoed my choices. The only one he really like was Zoltan, and that was my veto.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!