April 2014 Moms

Getting rid of the pacifier

Ideas? LO only takes it during naps and at bedtime but daycare prefers that she doesn't have it at all. She's fine during the day (as long as she doesn't see it). I've tried just putting her down for a nap without it but she just screams and screams and will not sleep. I'd like to maybe start by eliminating it just for naps and work our way to not having it ever. Ideas from moms who have done it??

Re: Getting rid of the pacifier

• With my kids it had to be an all or nothing deal. When we decided to take them away, poof they were gone. We had to go back to the days of rocking/putting them to sleep for a while before we eased them back into the drowsy but awake put down. It's also an opportunity to change any other bad habits or slide into a new routine. For example, we got rid of the paci but got more diligent about reading a book and brushing teeth before going to bed. The complete change into the new-normal routine made the missing paci seem less noticeable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Daycare dropped it first and told me they had no problems with my babe, which goes back to the theory that your kid will behave better when you're not around. At home I really dropped it cold turkey during the week because she was at daycare all day so i was able to focus on bedtime. A week or so before I started bringing her fave doll around with us to distract her for car rides. I played dumb at bedtime, honestly and she didn't know how to ask for it. She was crabby for about 2 days and got over it. I didn't feel super awesome doing it but we're through it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• Loading the player...
  • I don't look forward to the day we have to do this. Her paci is the only thing that calms her down sometimes. Good luck!
  • Do you ladies think it's too early to drop it??? She starts day care in about 2 weeks so I feel like now might be a good time since I'll be with her.
  • Our ped recommended 12 months to quit the pacifier. We dropped it at 14-15
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• Same boat here. We've used the paci a lot on some recent vacations and now he's more addicted than ever! Starts daycare soon. Our ped said 18 months...I'm nervous!
  • I don't have pacifier experience - I have a 3 year old finger sucker and that's a whole other ball game. However, I would just say that just bc daycare doesn't like it doesn't mean you have to do it. You know your child best and you also have your own comfort levels. And if you feel they're really pushing it, I'd ask them why. You might agree with the reasoning and you might not. And I'm always a little leery of peds who delve into things that are really behavioural - it's really not their expertise.

And of course if you're all ready, then go for it.