March 2015 Moms
Options

Help? Putting baby to sleep

Any advice on how to put my 4 and a half month old to bed at night? I can't tell she's tired but she kinda fusses and plays around in bed like rolls over.

Re: Help? Putting baby to sleep

• Options
    Our bedtime routine is this: change into pajamas, nurse, put her down and leave her. My LO used to fall asleep while nursing, now I usually put her down a little drowsy. She fusses a bit, and I just leave her as long as she's not uncontrollably crying. I know it's not an idea that some people are comfortable with, but I know she is well fed, attended to, and just needs to fall asleep! And she does a lot better when I'm not distracting her.
  • Options
    Maybe she's just trying to get comfortable.  They're also at an age where they're 'practicing' their newly acquired skills, so they move around A LOT at night.  We follow a routine very similar to the PP: read bedtime stories with big brother, diaper/pajamas, nurse, lay down drowsy & leave alone unless clearly in distress.  She'll learn how to soothe herself into sleep.  Usually within 10-15 min I find that she's completely asleep and has scooted herself into the position she likes to sleep in.

My LO usually fusses for a good 10 min before she falls asleep during the day for naps, and will do the same when going to sleep for the night.  Now, if I could just get her back to sleeping until 5:30-6:00 instead of 4:15 every morning, that would be great. ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lilmmalilmma member
    with My Son (4 Months) If I feel like it I give him a nice warm bath , & lotion him down then pajamas. Then bottle . Then I rock him to sleep , cause he loves being put to sleep n being held. But on a typical day it's diaper , pajamas , warm bottle, then cartoons ( Sprout Bedtime) ... He knocked out
  • Options
    I have started giving him a bath every night. Once I notice a few yawns ( usually around the same time) I get him in the bath. He plays a good bit... I think it gets the rest of the energy out haha. Then we put on pjs and will eat, read a story, or sit with daddy in the living room.
  • Options
    Mummy0315Mummy0315 member
    edited July 2015
    We have a bedtime routine as well bath, baby massage with lavender lotion, story, eat, change & wake him up to eat more then he falls asleep. Usually that works but lately he's been over stimulated with teething or will only sleep for 45 then wake up again due to sleep regression and then starts getting himself all stimulated by kicking around and such. Last night, I took my moms advice and did what she used to do with us girls when we couldn't sleep! I put him in his crib, closed his bedroom door, plugged in the vacuum and placed it right outside the bedroom door. IT WORKED!! He was already asleep by the time I went back into the kitchen to grab the baby monitor so I could watch him!! I left the vacuum going for about a total of 15 minutes and he slept great afterwards!! Sounds a bit nutty but I swear by it from now on!!
  • Options
    Check out the zipadeezip... it's meant as a swaddle transitioner and is safe for babies who roll as well as to use in carsear/stroller. It's like a way better sleep sack. Also, my son does similar to your LO... he just gets really vocal, mumbling and chewing his hand, not crying though. He sounds irritated but doesn't get upset, just talks to himself and wiggles and whatnot. If he's on his activity mat at the time and I just leave him alone, he typically falls asleep. I would see if your LO will do the same, being able to put themselves to sleep is fantastic! :)