3rd Trimester

Gender Neutral Layette? Where can you buy something cute and colorful?

It seems designers only care about baby boy's clothes and baby girl's clothes.  I get it.  We are weird to not find out the gender of our baby.  (Third baby and never once have we found out the gender of our babies)  Does that mean that our baby should be punished with boring newborn clothes?  Grey, tan and white are so boring and yellow is a color but if your baby gets jaundice then the yellow just makes them look even more jaundice.  I just want something cute, preferably shirt and pants set to allow umbilical stump to breath, that is green or multicolored.  Where can this be purchased?  I can't find anything anywhere from department stores, to baby stores, to boutique websites.  What am I missing?

Re: Gender Neutral Layette? Where can you buy something cute and colorful?

• We didn't find out with my daughter and we haven't found out with this one. For coming home outfit, we splurged for both and got a boy and a girl outfit for each baby. This also helped me with my desperate desire to shop for the baby, since for most stuff we are waiting). The other will just get given away to someone else expecting. For normal clothes we have a lot of onesies, sleepers, etc... that just have cute animal prints and such. Some are carters, gerber, and other random brands. Personally I prefer lightweight button up rompers/dresses/etc... to anything with a waistband for clothes before umbilical cord falls off. I'm not so much worried about it breathing as I am about the unintentional rubbing on a waistband if it rides up.
  • I have received that suggestion before about buying an outfit for both genders and I get that.  I just want to have THE outfit picked out, washed and packed.  Call it cheap but I don't want to buy an outfit that I can't use, cut the tags and wash rendering it non-returnable, and then have to hold on to that outfit until someone, someday has a baby that gender to regift.  We have a boy and a girl already so we are set on gender specific clothes, we have reused our gender neutral everyday items for all of our babies.  I just want to find something special for the "bring me home outfit" that just belongs to this baby since it will receive SO many hand me downs.  Maybe I am being irrational but it is important to me and I can't find anything cute.
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope not irrational. Second (and third) kids get so little that belongs specifically to them and a coming home outfit is something special. My husband kinda rolled his eyes at me when I said I was getting a second boy's outfit specifically for this one despite never using the boy coming home outfit I had purchased before my daughter was born. :) It wasn't bought for this baby though, and I wanted this to be specific to this baby.
  • I bought one of each and mom will wash and bring to hospital for us. I don't want to be stuck with outfit we can't use.
  • We aren't finding out the sex either! I have loved some of the gender neutral options at Joe Fresh, H&M, Next, Etsy, and Target. You just have to be flexible with what you consider "gender neutral" - I shop in the boys section for gender neutral because it's so easy to just add pink leggings or a bow to a "boys" outfit. Also, colors like plum, mint, teal, raspberry, jade, turquoise, and ruby are all easily neutral colors.
  • Crazy 8 had some adorable "hungry catapiller" themed outfits
  • But I like grey, white and tan lol!

Seriously, like PP said you have to adjust your perception of gender neutral if you want more than yellow ducks. I've been team green both times, and while I love grey (so much so I named my son Greyson) and A LOT of his wardrobe was grey, white, tan, I shopped for things that were cute to me and could be jazzed up if I felt the need to scream "boy" or "girl".

As for stores I shopped Gap, H&M, Zara and other specialty stores like that. I stayed away from the usual suspects (Carters, Gerber, Children's Place) because their assortment was limited and too generic for my taste. You also have to be a little creative - maybe not looking for a set but mix and match separates paired with cool socks/hats.

Good luck!
  • It seems designers only care about baby boy's clothes and baby girl's clothes.  I get it.  We are weird to not find out the gender of our baby.  (Third baby and never once have we found out the gender of our babies)  Does that mean that our baby should be punished with boring newborn clothes?  Grey, tan and white are so boring and yellow is a color but if your baby gets jaundice then the yellow just makes them look even more jaundice.  I just want something cute, preferably shirt and pants set to allow umbilical stump to breath, that is green or multicolored.  Where can this be purchased?  I can't find anything anywhere from department stores, to baby stores, to boutique websites.  What am I missing?
    I highly doubt your baby will care either way what it's wearing.  

The only way you're going to get what you want is to purchase an outfit for both sexes OR find out what you're having.  Or you could go with a black and white outfit, which is a little more edgy than the neutral colors.