3rd Trimester
Options

How bad is it that I haven't had prenatal care yet

I don't have a ride and mom don't want to help me cuz I'm pregnant. And no insurance

Re: How bad is it that I haven't had prenatal care yet

• Options
    edited July 2015
    It's very important. You're going to have to do what you need to to get your little one the care he or she needs. Call friends, ask a neighbor, call a cab, ask a coworker, ask someone at your church, find public transportation, whatever it takes, but get in to see a care provider.

ETA: go online and figure out what social programs you can qualify for with regards to insurance. Find a women's center or a free clinic. They can help guide you through what you need to do.
  • Options
    Prenatal care is very important both for your health and the baby's. Do whatever you can to see a doctor. Look into free clinics in your area and as op said try to find a friend/neighbour/relative who can give you a ride.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Prenatal care is very, very important. I'm sorry to hear that your mother doesn't want to help you. Is there anyone else in your life that would be willing to? As PP's said, you should start looking into free/low cost clinics in your area. I hope you can get the care and support that you need.
  • Options
    What PPs said, look into free or low cost clinics. As far as transportation, you don't have any friends with cars? Or public transportation in your town?
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How old are you?
    Do you have a job?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    my sister did not have prenatal care til 36 weeks or so due to the fact that medicaid was being a pain in the butt as she was moving out of state so it took FOREVER to get it started....anyway, it turned out pretty well she was covered for the birth, but thank goodness she didnt have any emergencies!
  • Options
    If you are in the US and pregnant you get Medicaid. Regardless of income, age etc. It's part of a federal wellness plan. If you don't have a social security number (you may be here illegally) there is emergency coverage that pays for your labor and delivery and hospital stay. Again, federal.

I would strongly suggest you get it figured out before you deliver. No prenatal care will get you a big red flag at the hospital...
  • Options
    Try looking up a crisis pregnancy center.  They usually have hotlines and can help connect you with prenatal care and possibly even rides.  Planned Parenthood also provides sliding scale-cost prenatal care.  Do you have any friends who can help?  Relatives? Neighbors?  Local Church? 
  • Options

If you are in the US and pregnant you get Medicaid. Regardless of income, age etc. It's part of a federal wellness plan. If you don't have a social security number (you may be here illegally) there is emergency coverage that pays for your labor and delivery and hospital stay. Again, federal.

This isn't true. Your income can disqualify you from receiving Medicaid. It did for us. We had to either buy our own health insurance with our current income or I would have had to quit my job for DH and I to meet the income requirements for it.
  • Options
    Medicaid eligibility is absolutely income-contingent. 
  • Options
    ElecinElecin member
    What TacoSarah said.
  • Options
    This can't be real. Lame.
  • Options
    Cjohnson12187Cjohnson12187 member
    edited July 2015
    Not true about anyone getting Medicaid just for being preggo. I was denied due to income above the poverty level
  • Options
    I really hope this is a fake post.. If you are old enough to make the decision to have sex and get pregnant and decide that you will be keeping your baby there is no excuse for you not to get prenatal care. Your mother is not responsible for taking you to the doctor and there are clinics all over that do not require insurance and are income based, you pay what you can when you can and they will provide treatment.
  • Options
    Planned Parenthood can help with prenatal care in some areas. 

Medicaid is very much income based, and being pregnant does not automatically qualify you...but, your case worker (one is assigned to your case even if you are ultimately denied) could make some suggestions for other programs. the Affordable Health Care Act has raised income levels for various programs that can help you get vitamins, check ups, etc.  

Once the baby is here, CHIP is guaranteed. It is also income based, so you could have to pay monthly to maintain coverage for your child (but you may also get it 100% 'free').  
  • Options
    Probably pretty bad. Take a cab.