3rd Trimester
Options

Anyone else have to see an obstetrician ?

I'm 28 weeks 3 days, my doctor is referring me to see an obstetrician around 34/35 weeks due to the size and complications I had with my previous son. He came at 39w5d, he was 9 lbs 7 oz, 23 inches long with a head of 39.5 cms in circumference. I had trouble delivering him, my doctor made an estimate of 7.5-8 lbs and no bigger. He got stuck, and he ended up having his left collar bone broken, and nerve damage up the left side of his arm and neck. I have a different doctor this time and she won't let me go past 40 weeks, for the safety of the baby and I.

I saw a neurologist when he was a month old and he recommended if I chose to birth another baby to have a c section 2 weeks early or consider being induced 2 weeks early. But I'm not too keen on a c section unless medically necessary and I've heard terrible stories of being induced when babys not ready.

Anyone else with experience seeing an obstetrician ?

Re: Anyone else have to see an obstetrician ?

• Options
    I'm in the states I saw a MW with my first. He was 22in long and 10# 14oz with an average head. I am seeing an OB this time due to complications from him being so large (plus twins). It sounds like they want to be more proactive in your care since size was an issue last time.

I would not be too concerned as I've had a great experience with my OB this time. Just because an OB has the qualifications to do more interventions does not mean that they will push you to do so. My IB wants to induce at 37 weeks but if the twinkies are in a good position we won't be doing a csection.
  • Options

I'm in the states I saw a MW with my first. He was 22in long and 10# 14oz with an average head. I am seeing an OB this time due to complications from him being so large (plus twins). It sounds like they want to be more proactive in your care since size was an issue last time.

I would not be too concerned as I've had a great experience with my OB this time. Just because an OB has the qualifications to do more interventions does not mean that they will push you to do so. My IB wants to induce at 37 weeks but if the twinkies are in a good position we won't be doing a csection.

I'm just hoping they won't push a c section on me, unless medically necessary. What kind of stuff do they look for/ exam ?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Goggle Bishop Score, it is a system of seeing how favorable you are to induction. However, it is not set on stone.
  • Options

Goggle Bishop Score, it is a system of seeing how favorable you are to induction. However, it is not set on stone.

Hoping baby is able to come on his own and I won't have to be induced or sectioned early. Here's to hoping for this baby not to be as big as my last !
  • Options

I'm just hoping they won't push a c section on me, unless medically necessary. What kind of stuff do they look for/ exam ?
    Typically they treat me exactly as my MW did for appointments weight, BP, urine sample, Doppler. I just go in for more growth scans and we've already discussed early induction (as long as the girls aren't in distress or breech). Just state you preference is for a vaginal birth and have a talk with the OB they are there "in case" of worst case not to force interventions.
  • Options

Typically they treat me exactly as my MW did for appointments weight, BP, urine sample, Doppler. I just go in for more growth scans and we've already discussed early induction (as long as the girls aren't in distress or breech). Just state you preference is for a vaginal birth and have a talk with the OB they are there "in case" of worst case not to force interventions.
    Okay good to know. Now here's to hoping for a baby not as big as my last so I can go naturally again !
  • Options
    Where I am in the States 99% of the people I know use an OB and besides myself (cause DD stayed footling breech till her EDD) I only know of a handful of others that have needed a C-section. My OB definitely didn't push the c-section on me either. She actually gave me the option to go to 41 weeks to see if baby turned, but agreed it was risky since DD wasn't descending at all and hadn't budged from her position since before 28 weeks (turned out her cord was wrapped and anchoring her in place - she never would have turned or descended on her own). I seriously only know two other people that used just a MW. Maybe its a regional thing...
  • Options

Where I am in the States 99% of the people I know use an OB and besides myself (cause DD stayed footling breech till her EDD) I only know of a handful of others that have needed a C-section. My OB definitely didn't push the c-section on me either. She actually gave me the option to go to 41 weeks to see if baby turned, but agreed it was risky since DD wasn't descending at all and hadn't budged from her position since before 28 weeks (turned out her cord was wrapped and anchoring her in place - she never would have turned or descended on her own). I seriously only know two other people that used just a MW. Maybe its a regional thing...

I live in Canada and we have midwives unless we have complications then we see an obstetrician. I'm not allowed to go over due because of my previous sons big size and complications. I'm terrified of the thought of a c section or having to be induced. I just want to go naturally !
  • Options
    Talk to your OB about their stats and the hospitals stats for cesarean and induction and what would make those things necessary. Many people in the US use an OB regardless of risk. I am, and while it may be different than in Canada, I love both of my OBs.