Trying to Get Pregnant

Pregnancy After Birth Control Pill

Hi! I am new here!. What has been everyone's experience with TTC after birth control? I was on the pill for 11 years. I have been using the Clear Blue Ovulation predictor but I have yet to get a positive! I have heard of women getting pregnant the first month off the pill and some taking a year or more.
(We started trying the last week of June 2015.). 
DS born 2016

Re: Pregnancy After Birth Control Pill

• Welcome and you are correct every woman is different and each woman's fertility had no bearing on any other woman's experience. Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited July 2015
    It took me 10 months after I went off BCP before I ovulated. 

ETA: Welcome and good luck! 
  • July 2 was my first time being off BC in nine years. I finally O'd on July 19 and I am currently in the TWW. I was nervous that I was going to have a long cycle but I did not this cycle. Next cycle could be different. They also say on here "your regular till your not" or something along those lines. I just hope I stick with this cycle length moving forward if I do not get the BFP. 

Good luck to you!
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• I started Oing again 2 weeks after coming off BCP. Unfortunately BCP was masking a luteal phase issue so that needs to be investigated now.
  • @joeandjustine I am in the same boat sort of.. i was on the pill for almost 10 years, got off of it in april of this year. have been trying since with no luck. Started using the opk this cycle and i got multiple positives... so right now its just the waiting game.. 10 more days until i hopefully get it BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Did anyone have side-effects after stopping the BCP? It's my first month off so I'm still getting use to temping tracking CM going to use OKPs this next cycle etc. 

I've also been experiencing hair-loss acne and weight gain post pill. Wondering if there's a general time-frame when these should subside and my hormones get back to normal? I've read people take bee pollen and Maca to balance their hormones (not necessarily for TCC) Anyone try these? So if you had any side effects how long till you felt like your hormones were pretty stable?

Thanks! 
  • I've been off the pill for six months after six years on and my cycle is still not regular. Last cycle was over 45 days and I'm hitting 40 now. Thought I got AF a couple days ago but just spotting. But none of this matters for you- this is my fertility, not yours.
  • @desertyogi the only thing I experienced after coming off the bill was bad acne. But it has cleared up now. I get break outs every now and then but I got those while being on the pill as well. I am curious how my periods will be without it. 
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• The main thing I noticed was that my CM was all wacky and out of place. So far that seems to have subsided this cycle (my second off BC). It also took me 26 days to ovulate, but who knows, that may be normal for me. It affects everyone differently, which is why it is a good idea to chart!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• mb0112mb0112 member

Did anyone have side-effects after stopping the BCP? It's my first month off so I'm still getting use to temping tracking CM going to use OKPs this next cycle etc. 

I've also been experiencing hair-loss acne and weight gain post pill. Wondering if there's a general time-frame when these should subside and my hormones get back to normal? I've read people take bee pollen and Maca to balance their hormones (not necessarily for TCC) Anyone try these? So if you had any side effects how long till you felt like your hormones were pretty stable?

Thanks! 
    @DesertYogi I tried Maca root 500mg per day (1000 is recommended) starting with the "period" I had while coming off the pill 3 months ago. I was so afraid of crazy cycles and acne. Acne has been a real problem for me in the past and I was on the pill 11 years. My skin has been pretty much the same as when I was on the pill! I've had a couple minor pimples, more on my chest/back than face, but that was typical for me while on the pill too. Nothing cystic or hormonal looking. Didn't ovulate the first month but then did the next 2 and was chatting my temps which showed a good pattern. Not sure how much the Maca had to do with it but I give it some credit.
  • Welcome!! I'm in a very similar situation! I stopped BC in April after over 10 years. Acne has been a major issue for me. My skin was perfectly clear while on the pill, and now it's like "hello again, teenage skin!" Shoulders and chest acne included and still going strong 4 months later. :-S
    Hopefully it won't be such an issue for you, as everything for everyone is different.
    Hoping your cycles return to normal soon too! I ovulated about 3 weeks after stopping the pill and have had normal cycles since. But again, my experience likely won't be similar to yours!
    Best of luck! And hoping for short stays here!
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Fur child: One awesome Golden Retriever
    IUI August 2016  : Cancelled due to polyp
    September 2016: Polyp removal/hysteroscopy
    October 2016: IUI #1- BFN
    November 2016: IUI #2- BFN
    December 2016: IUI #3 - BFN
    January/February 2017 - IVF + ICSI + PGD
    March 2017 - FET

• *loss mentioned* I went off the pill in April after 7 years, and have had 3 cycles (on 4 now) since. I have ovulated each time, between day 13 and 17. I got a BFP on my first cycle, but it ended in a CP very early. My two normal cycles since the CP have been 27 and 25 days.

One of my good friends also got pregnant her first cycle after stopping BCP and had a successful pregnancy.
    Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ETA: I have gained some weight since going off the pill, and a few more zits on my face!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • i have been on & off BC from 16 (recently turned 30) & went off "for good" @ the end of January. so far my cycles have been pretty decent (CD average 26-27) but that 1st month was INTENSE! i felt like AF was never going to end!!!!! luckily it has evened out & even seems a bit lighter than it was when I was on BC. 

symptoms wise my acne has gotten pretty bad this past cycle >.< 

TTC wise, this is my 1st month charting & FF says I O'd on CD11, I"m currently on CD 26, DPO 15- so we shall see! If you aren't using FF yet I would highly recommend it- I actually enjoy entering my data every morning & seeing how my chart changes (nerd alert). 

Anywho- best of luck & welcome :) 

ME: 30 | DH: 30

Married: April 2015

TTC Number One: April 2015

Fur Baby: 1 English Mastiff (Rupert) 

ME: 31 | DH: 31

Married: April 2015

TTC (BBT & FF) #1: April 2015 (Off BC: January 2015)

Fur Baby: 1 English Mastiff (Rupert) 

• mb0112 said:
    Did anyone have side-effects after stopping the BCP? It's my first month off so I'm still getting use to temping tracking CM going to use OKPs this next cycle etc. 

Thanks! 
    @DesertYogi I tried Maca root 500mg per day (1000 is recommended) starting with the "period" I had while coming off the pill 3 months ago. I was so afraid of crazy cycles and acne. Acne has been a real problem for me in the past and I was on the pill 11 years. My skin has been pretty much the same as when I was on the pill! I've had a couple minor pimples, more on my chest/back than face, but that was typical for me while on the pill too. Nothing cystic or hormonal looking. Didn't ovulate the first month but then did the next 2 and was chatting my temps which showed a good pattern. Not sure how much the Maca had to do with it but I give it some credit.
    @mb0112 thanks for the info! good to know you had a positive experience! 
  • I recenlty bought the Wondfo Ovulation tracker and will start tomorrow. I hope it works! It has some mixed reviews online but I feel like they all do!
    DS born 2016
  • You're right that some women get pregnant right away and some take a year or more. There's no way to tell which camp you'll fall into, but all you can do is temp, track, and use OPKs to maximize your chances each month. Good luck!
  • RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited August 2015
    kgbbsc7 said:

Zombie alert!!

Ack! OP bumped her own thread, and I got caught in the zombie thread.
  • I went off BCP at the end of June 2015, I just learned yesterday I may be going through a probable ectopic pregnancy....it may not be viable and poor luck with where the fertilized egg implanted but it still happened first month off BCP. Every body is different, some take time to adjust and some bounce back into a normal cycle.

Hang in there and keep tracking your cycles!
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • jbal918jbal918 member
    edited August 2015
    Sorry I couldn't reach the site for two and a half weeks being out of the county... Thought this site was to help each other not be rude...

Zombie alert!!

kgbbsc7 said:

Zombie alert!!

DS born 2016
  • Wishing you the best!!

rrauws said:
    I went off BCP at the end of June 2015, I just learned yesterday I may be going through a probable ectopic pregnancy....it may not be viable and poor luck with where the fertilized egg implanted but it still happened first month off BCP. Every body is different, some take time to adjust and some bounce back into a normal cycle.

Hang in there and keep tracking your cycles!

DS born 2016
  • Sorry I couldn't reach the site for two and a half weeks being out of the county... Thought this site was to help each other not be rude...

Zombie alert!!

kgbbsc7 said:

Zombie alert!!

I don't see anyone being rude here, truthfully. It's just confusing when an older thread is revived (hence why it's called a zombie thread). There wasn't really a need to update a several weeks old thread just to say you bought OPKs - this is something that could be indicated in a WTO/TWW post.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• We are all on here together and to sit here and comment zombie thread is rude to me. That's my opinion. I'm not on here to fight and I'm pretty sure we are all on here for one goal and I am new to the threads so trying to figure everything out... Didn't see a big deal to post at TheKnot.com had no issues with everyone posting the same way... But good luck to you...Bye

Sorry I couldn't reach the site for two and a half weeks being out of the county... Thought this site was to help each other not be rude...

Zombie alert!!

kgbbsc7 said:

Zombie alert!!

I don't see anyone being rude here, truthfully. It's just confusing when an older thread is revived (hence why it's called a zombie thread). There wasn't really a need to update a several weeks old thread just to say you bought OPKs - this is something that could be indicated in a WTO/TWW post.

DS born 2016
  • LulucooksLulucooks member
    edited August 2015

We are all on here together and to sit here and comment zombie thread is rude to me. That's my opinion. I'm not on here to fight and I'm pretty sure we are all on here for one goal and I am new to the threads so trying to figure everything out... Didn't see a big deal to post at TheKnot.com had no issues with everyone posting the same way... But good luck to you...Bye

kgbbsc7 said:

Zombie alert!!

kgbbsc7 said:

Zombie alert!!

------ qbf and weird formating this is to Op-----

• We are all on here together and to sit here and comment zombie thread is rude to me. That's my opinion. I'm not on here to fight and I'm pretty sure we are all on here for one goal and I am new to the threads so trying to figure everything out... Didn't see a big deal to post at TheKnot.com had no issues with everyone posting the same way... But good luck to you...Bye

Zombie alert!!

kgbbsc7 said:

Zombie alert!!

Like I said, no one is being rude and no one is fighting. You didn't understand the "zombie thread" comment. I explained it and what would be better moving forward. But obviously no one is forcing you to stay on this site if you don't like it or the women who participate in this community.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow