September 2014 Moms
Options

Suddenly painful to breastfeed, is this normal?

My LO is just over 10 months and I am still breastfeeding a bit. She feeds in the early a.m. and then about 3 more times throughout the day ending around 2 hrs before dinner. Just yesterday I noticed that it is quite painful when she feeds. The only one that is not painful is the first one of the day. It feels as though she is pulling really really hard. I though maybe I'm not producing enough milk since I have just gradually begun the weening process, but I can hear her gulping. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    ZenzooZenzoo member
    When breastfeeding became painful for me, I found out I was pregnant again. Hope it's something else for you, just thought I'd share.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No it should not be painful. See your doc. Good Luck! Make sure the breasts are not feeling hard in areas. Inspect and massage them in a hot shower. There could be a clogged duct in there.
  • Options

The same thing happened to me a couple of times. Both around " that time of the month". After a couple days I was back to normal. I did try and nurse a little more.

• Options
    Sorry for the delay, but thank you all for your great advice. I will be going to my doctor to make sure everything is in check.