VBAC

VBAC or not to VBAC?

liz1562liz1562 member
So quick back story, with my first I had horrible back pain in my third trimester, and went into labor with him posterior. I quickly got to 9, but then stopped and he did not desend anymore. After 18 hours of hard labor and pitosin to try and bring him down further, we decided on csection. My normal OB was not on call, so another DR delivered him. While on the table being sewed up, she told me everything looked great with my pelvis and saw nothing wrong which caused him to be stuck. Now, 3.5 months pregnant with baby 2, my regular DR says I'm "not a great candidate for VBAC" because they don't know why he was posterior in the first place. My MIL (who is a retired nurse and was there for the delivery) is pushing me to try VBAC. I'm so confused, I have no idea what to do.

Re: VBAC or not to VBAC?

• Look at spinning babies. There's plenty of reasons baby can be posterior and things we can do to help them turn
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you. I'll check it out!
  • Loading the player...
  • Look for a local ICAN chapter in your area. They can give you loads of info and support whether you choose a VBAC or not.
  • Spinning babies is a complete ass-pull on the part of the creator, Gail Tully.  She just made it all up and there's nothing but anecdotes that it works. It makes her lots of money, though!

More so, most babies that are OP before the onset of labor spontaneously rotate to an anterior position during labor.  And most babies that are posterior at birth turn during that way during labor.  So what you do prior to labor has no bearing on it whatsoever. 

Posterior babies just often don't fit and are very hard to push out, even for women that have already had a vaginal delivery.  Over 40% of first-time moms with OP babies wind up with a C-section, and the vast majority of first-time moms that deliver OP babies vaginally don't do so spontaneously.  They need forceps or vacuum assistance.  

You'd probably have a good shot at delivering vaginally if you tried to VBAC, especially if the next baby is in a better position.  There's no harm in getting a second opinion if you're really interested in VBACing and your provider doesn't seem very supportive.
    Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • I'm not or never have been a doctor; however his reasoning for saying you're not a good candidate doesn't really make sense. All babies and all births are different. I would definitely get a second opinion or if you really are interested in a VBAC a new doctor - you don't want to stick with this guy with the intentions of a VBAC only to find out he really doesn't support your birth decision at 39 weeks. 

On a personal note, it is a scary decision at least I thought it was... I thought of all the what if this happens or that... but honestly if you really look into VBACs they are much safer than a repeat CS and the chances of something bad happening are like 1% or something really low. Having a VBAC was seriously easier for me and most women in regards to recovery. I'm currently 4 weeks PP now and have been working out for the past 3 and moving and haven't had any restrictions after the first week of rest. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• I'm not or never have been a doctor; however his reasoning for saying you're not a good candidate doesn't really make sense. All babies and all births are different. I would definitely get a second opinion or if you really are interested in a VBAC a new doctor - you don't want to stick with this guy with the intentions of a VBAC only to find out he really doesn't support your birth decision at 39 weeks. 

On a personal note, it is a scary decision at least I thought it was... I thought of all the what if this happens or that... but honestly if you really look into VBACs they are much safer than a repeat CS and the chances of something bad happening are like 1% or something really low. Having a VBAC was seriously easier for me and most women in regards to recovery. I'm currently 4 weeks PP now and have been working out for the past 3 and moving and haven't had any restrictions after the first week of rest. 

Can I please hear your birth story? I haven't been all up and down this board recently so if it's here I'm sorry. I don't know anyone recently who's had a vbac and I would love to hear a birth story

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for your support! Yes, it has been terrifying for me. And honestly, I'm sick of my family and friends all giving me their input, with no experience in the area... Like its no big deal. After much consideration, I'm going to attempt VBAC (as long as baby is not posterior going into labor). Baby isn't due until December, but I will update and let you all know how it went.
  • I had a traumatic first birth and desperately wanted my second to go better. My Dr was supportive in my choice for a VBAC luckily things went more smoothly second time around. I felt victorious and it was the best feeling in the world. All we can do is hope for the best, Im praying my third goes just as well!