June 2015 Moms

Milk boosters

I'm sure I'm not the only one trying everything to boost my supply. So I thought we could share what we have tried, what's seems to work and what doesn't.

I currently take fenugreek 16 a day, flaxseed oil 6 a day, prenatal vit., alfalfa (starting tomorrow). I also eat oatmeal, drown in water, drink a beer a day, avoid caffeine, drink cows milk and make lactation cookies. ...Shew

I nurse, pump, pump between feedings and formula feed. I'm trying everything to breastfeed this baby and it's not looking great.

...what have you tried? Any questions for other milk lacking mamas?

Re: Milk boosters

• I can't say what is or isn't working but I do wonder if I should replace the fenugreek with mothers milk tea. Has anyone tried it instead of capsules?
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited July 2015
    I tried to "power pump" this morning. 10 min on and 10 min off for 1 hour.
    I made it 20 min before my baby freaked out and needed me. So much for that! You could try it. All my friends say it helps.
    I plan on making some brownies with brewers yeast today or tomorrow to help..... I'm also drowning in water and praying :)
    I take the honest company lactation supplement with fenugreek in it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm doing pretty much everything you are @devyns2nd. I only take 12 Fenugreek/day. I drink a lactation smoothie with Brewers yeast every morning. I've drank a hoppy beer a day but that was really only for my enjoyment. It didn't do much. I felt like it actually hurt. I pump constantly. It's just now starting to increase slowly. I didn't get good help though while in the hospital and have to use a nipple shield. I was using it incorrectly per lactation consultant's crappy advice and I think my supply has been sabotaged permanently. I have also ordered smaller flanges for my pump. I seem to go dry once the sun goes down so I've been giving LO formula at night and just pumping when she has a bottle. I miss sessions sometimes though. It's hard to wake up when DH is getting up with her.
  • I've done the Fenugreek, Shatavari, and also both the regular mother love more milk plus and the special blend version. The teas I was told you have to drink a ton of to work. I was told to use fennel or basil essential oil but to scared it might hurt LO. I've slowed down on pumping at night I felt that being exhausted wasn't going to help. Been doing oatmeal and some lactation cookies here and there all along. Have seen some increase but not enough. My consultant said to try Go Lacta next. I also have tried beer :)
  • LaurenS119LaurenS119 member
    edited July 2015
    In order to avoid exposing little one to the oils directly you can dilute the oils in a carrier oil and rub along your spine at breast level

The basil essential oil seems to work for me
  • I have a lactation supplement blend I take that has all kinds of stuff in it - fenugreek, blessed thistle, fennel, hops, dandelion leaf... And more. Its 2 capsules 3 times a day. Tastes like fennel, makes me burp up fennel taste, which sucks cause I dislike licorice and fennel tastes like licorice.
    I drink either a hoppy beer or a stout a day with dinner.
    Water. So much water.
    Try to have a varied diet with some kind of veggies daily. We were kinda junky eaters pre-pregnancy, the diet change was a hard transition for me, and I'm having a hard time not reverting to microwave dinners, etc

The feeding routine WAS breastfeed for 10 min per side. Pump for 15 min. Then offer formula so that LO is eating a total of 1 & 1/2 ounces to 2 ounces per meal. But pumping depressed me. I pumped so very little milk (from 5-13 ml, with an average of 7ml... Not even a quarter of a quarter of an ounce each time) after breast feeding that it was giving me a complex so I just decided yesterday to take a break from the pumping part of our routine. I'd rather let him spend as much time as he wants on the boob (as long as he is drawing well) instead of limiting him to 10 min, and giving him boob snacks in between his 3 hour scheduled feedings if he seems to want one. I know he gets milk when on the breast because he has spit it up afterwards sometimes. I feel like him being on the boob is going to do more for my body to make milk than pumping will.

His initial problem was laziness on the boob - he would fall asleep and use me as a paci, not drawing well. Now that he is stronger I hope that he will feed better on the boob (he does seem to be doing so) and thus increase my supply.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Supply is low because LO eats soooo much! She was a big baby (9#2oz) so she requires more milk from the start. I've been BF, pumping, and supplementing with formula. Some days are better than others in terms of milk supply. I've been drinking mothers milk tea, taking my encapsulated placenta, and drinking water (I could improve in this area some). It's hard to know what is working and what isn't. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully it will steadily increase. Good luck to all you ladies as well!
  • I was going to also suggest the fennel or basil essential oils, and I like the idea of diluting and applying to spine! I wasn't sure where/how to apply the fennel I have.
    Currently, my supply seems to be ok (my left boob often goes nuts, spraying LO in the face and gagging her), but I try to drink a lot of water, take my prenatals, and pump at least once/day.
    As a STM, I feel more relaxed about the whole thing, which I think helps, and I also started pumping way earlier than I did with DD.
  • I just started drinking the tea. I don't think I have a big supply problem though. I mostly pump every 4-5 hours and bf sometimes in between depending if lo is in a Oooh I like boob mode. I need to be more on top of the water like hard core slacked today. My lo is gaining great and only gets pumped milk. I just have enough in the fridge that I feel I cam start to freeze. I pump for longer times I think though as this is my break time where I check the bump :) so I'm sure I got several minutes after everytime
  • We were admitted to hospital at 9days old because of weightloss and the OB suggested I get a script for some pills that boost milk. I didn't end up needing it and I can't remember what it was called, but my midwife said it was an anti-nausea med (she had no idea how it worked, but said it does). I'm not in the states so not sure if it's an option for you Mamas but thought I'd mention it, might be worth looking at
  • We were admitted to hospital at 9days old because of weightloss and the OB suggested I get a script for some pills that boost milk. I didn't end up needing it and I can't remember what it was called, but my midwife said it was an anti-nausea med (she had no idea how it worked, but said it does). I'm not in the states so not sure if it's an option for you Mamas but thought I'd mention it, might be worth looking at

I'm pretty sure this is Reglan (metoclopromide).
  • btm013btm013 member
    If it is reglan be careful as it can make you quite drowsy!
  • I tried mothers milk tea, which did nothing for me. This lactation smoothie worked really great :) I went from barely being able to pump 2oz and it would take me about 45min to do, to being able to pump 4oz in about half that. It made my boobs really hard the morning after and now they squirt out milk on occasion
  • ^^^ I drink this every single morning!!
  • btm013btm013 member

^^^ I drink this every single morning!!

How does it taste?
  • It's good!! I can still taste the Brewers yeast, but it's not horrible. I drink this and take 5 Fenugreek capsules and then eat breakfast. Another thing to consider with low supply is whether you're consuming enough calories. Lactating mothers need 500 more calories than while pregnant. I don't know the math, I'm assuming it's unique to the individual. I eat to hunger and it's not enough. I'm not losing, but feel terrible. Fenugreek will lower your blood sugar. Just another reason to pig out!!!
  • janat1717janat1717 member
    edited July 2015
    Domperidone is a stomach drug available outside the U.S. That works well. It apparently has less side effects than Reglan. Reglan should not be taken if you have history of depression or anxiety. My consultant won't recommend it. Domperidone is not FDA approved so you have to typically go out of your way to get it. it does have its own possible side effects though
  • Ugh. Pretty sure my lactation supplement gives me the sh!ts. Right on :-q
  • seeseaseesea member
    edited July 2015
    There's some really good suggestions on here! I'd like to add that applying heat before pumping helped me out too. I used the booby tubes from earth mama angel baby. I'm pretty sure a warm washcloth would work too. Also, hand expressing before and after a pumping session did the trick. When I first started with DS1 I did all the food supplements. But this time around I did a lot of skin to skin, added extra pump sessions and hand expressing to jump start my supply which I think worked better for me.

I think my supply is just fine but I want to kick it up a notch to have an abundant freezer stash before I go back to work. I'd like to try the essential oils. Where can I get them? @lindsladle15 and @LaurenS119
    mellymar said:

Ugh. Pretty sure my lactation supplement gives me the sh!ts. Right on :-q

What supplement are you taking? Same thing happened to me when I was taking this supplement that had fenugreek and a bunch of other stuff. I also smelled like maple syrup. Like it was coming out of my armpits.
  • @CillyMama its called Christopher's lactation formula. Its gelcaps of fenugreek and yeah, a bunch of other stuff. My LC directed me to a local 'crunchy' store where others had purchased the supplement there with good results and this was what they had. Maybe I'll take half of the recommended amount and see if that helps
  • @CillyMama I've read that had expression works better than anything.
    I've watched tons of videos and still can't get much out on my own. :(

@mellymar flax is used for colon health. I'm sure that pill has it in it since its a lactation supplement.
  • @CillyMama, yes!! I totally forgot about heat...that's what I do every time I pump. I have these purple "pearls" wraps that are Lansinoh brand, and you can use them hot or cold, but I put them on my boobs when pumping and it's like magic!

Also, I buy my oils from DoTerra. I signed up to be a consultant/ wholesaler (like paying a yearly Costco or Sam's club fee) so I can get the wholesale price :)
  • seeseaseesea member
    @lindsladle15 thanks! I'll look into it.

@devyns2nd have you tried leaning over and shaking your boobs before hand expressing? Lol. I know it sounds ridiculous but I had an LC give me these tips. I guess "massaging" the breast helps the milk flow towards the nipple and that's supposed to help increase output. I would do it a good 5 minutes before I pump and another 5 minutes after.
  • @CillyMama I buy my oils from plant therapy. You can get them from their website or amazon. They are a small business not a multi level marketing company so I find the prices are better but the quality is great too.
  • Domperidone worked wonders from me, if you can access it somehow.  It's unfortunate your FDA bases the decision to not allow it on a poorly done study of the drug on critically ill seniors...they thought it causes heart issues...but again if you're 80 with terminal cancer...  They won't prescribe it here to a mom with heart issues 'in case', but I have had zero side effects with it.  It's even prescribed to babies here for stomach issues.  Check out Dr. Jack Newman's site for more information on it, and other boosters.  He's the Canadian breastfeeding guru.
  • I've read that it can go either way. Some women claim it dried them up. I'm afraid of taking something that isn't natural.
  • I can say that since I've started taking GNC brand Fenugreek 5/3x a day and drinking one Samuel Adams cream stout in the evening along with the lactation smoothie, oatmeal, and pumping every three hours around the clock, my production is going up. I can't pinpoint anything except the beer and fenugreek but am afraid to disrupt the schedule!!
  • I'm too nervous to start taking my fenugreek and lactation tea I bought...after feeds I can usually pump 3oz if I really work at it, and am aiming for freezing 40oz a week til I go back. I feel like if I start my supplements I may get too much that I am too lazy to pump out and then get mastitis. Hmm. About how much increase in production (if any) did you see?
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I'm too nervous to start taking my fenugreek and lactation tea I bought...after feeds I can usually pump 3oz if I really work at it, and am aiming for freezing 40oz a week til I go back. I feel like if I start my supplements I may get too much that I am too lazy to pump out and then get mastitis. Hmm. About how much increase in production (if any) did you see?

YES! Good question. I'm wanting to start pumping & getting more than 3 oz at a time so I can send enough to daycare, but I'm worried about taking a supplement & getting too much & getting mastasis or clogged ducts.

A friend said to try the Mother's Milk tea & then I can decide how much to drink & how it effects me.
  • It is hard for me to tell 'how much more' because I wasn't pumping much to start with.  I do know I definitely 'flowed faster' since my lo started gulping and sputtering during the start of feeds.  I also had a reduction years ago, and the right breast doesn't produce as much as the left.  I did go from pumping an ounce per session on that side to 2-3 ounces.  Again, I'm not likely the best judge for that, given my circumstances.

You do have to give each intervention a bit of time to see if it works, or if you start several at once, you might have to just keep doing them all.  Domperidone does take up to 6 weeks to reach maximum effect, and you do start at a one pill/3x a day dosage, and wait a few days before trying 2, etc. to make sure you don't overproduce.  I went up to the 3 pills, 3x a day.
  • Hi ladies,
    So for me what seems to be working is making a large nutribullet smoothie for breakfast with Greek yogurt, berries, oatmeal, 1tablespoon of milled flaxseed, 1 tablespoon of Brewers yeast and add organic milk to the top it off . Sometimes I'll add a spoon of peanut butter. I drink lots of water throughout the day, sometimes I will do half water half ocean spray cranberry juice as my MIL told me cranberry juice helps with the milk . I pump 3 times a day at least 8 oz. each time. I did notice that I tend to pump more when everything is calm, because one little man starts crying I tense up and the production stops. I've also done lactation cookies which helped produce more about 11 oz at each pumping. Little man eats at least 4 oz every 4 hours, so I was worried that I wouldn't make enough for him at the beginning. Hope this helps :)
  • I was getting an oz total before the supplements and smoothie and beer. Now it's close to two every pump if I don't skip at night. Seems skipping a night session effects day production.
  • kbbtahkbbtah member
    edited July 2015
    Vent: I drank half a beer last night to stimulate milk production. Later on that night, I breastfed and changed LOs diaper. It completely reeked of beer. I felt horrible, as silly me didn't think it would transfer to him like that. He was up screaming all night, which may not be correlated to the beer, but I still feel bad.
  • You're milk mirrors your blood alcohol level. I would highly doubt after half a beer, even right after drinking, it would've affected LO. Your liver filters everything out of your blood. Half a beer would not put enough alcohol into your system to intoxicate or even bother your baby. A glass of orange juice has more effect on your bal than half a beer. .09 vs. .08.
  • Agreed. Half a beer shouldn't have any effect on your milk, as unless you are drinking a beer with a massively high abv, having half a beer shouldn't effect your blood alcohol.
  • btm013btm013 member
    @kbbtah - I agree with @SammeMotley. I highly doubt half a beer would have transferred to baby. I use the UpSpring test strips and even after two beers and roughly 4 or 5 after I'm ok.