January 2016 Moms
Options

Alienated from Friends

embogsembogs member
edited July 2015 in January 2016 Moms
Hi Ladies, I'm due at the end of January so I'm about 10 weeks today. (Happy 4th of July!)  Unfortunately, I've been having a really hard time with the few friends who I have told who not only don't seem happy for me, but have been avoiding me. It's been about 6 weeks since my husband and I told our best friends (a married couple-man and woman--the man is my husband's best friend since childhood) and they've 100% bailed on us us. (We've taken to texting them pictures of Christian Bale, just kidding, but that would be hilarious.) I even told my friend that I was starting to take his rebuffs personally, and he blew us off again the same day I mentioned this. I know it's fairly common for your relationships to change shape during the transition to childless to child-ed, but I didn't know it would feel so primally personal. Does anyone have any strategies for addressing this or thoughts on how to move on from a close friendship if they never end up being supportive? I spent the morning crying because  (I'm pregnant and a hormonal mess.. AND) we're going to a cookout this afternoon where these friends will be and I don't really want to confront them there, but am feeling unhappy about even going. Thanks.

Re: Alienated from Friends

• Options
    I'm going through the something similar. Our best friends have totally distanced themselves. It's killing me.
    But I've got a twist. I work with my best friend. We're basically the two senior people in the office so it makes it doubly difficult to have to work with her everyday but basically be ignored. Also, part of it probably is because they can't have children. They have adopted two boys (who are wonderful). It's a constant bad situation. I need to put my big girl panties on and just have it out with her.
  • Options
    Perhaps your friends just need time, they are probably worried everything is going to change and they will lose you. This is different, but when my mine and my hubby's best friends decided to move back to Montana, we found ourselves avoiding them at first because we were so sad. Then we would hang out, get drunk and cry lol. We've adjusted, they are still our best friends... We see each other about 4 times a year and are always there for the important stuff.

My point is things will just need to adjust. At the cookout, just have fun and act like everything is honky dory. Don't talk about the pregnancy or baby stuff... Unless someone asks, but make it short. Show them you are still your same fun self. Laugh about how you can be everyone's DD now.

Things will eventually change, but in the meantime let your friends adjust. Hopefully they show up for you when it counts.

Side note... While writing this my 2 year old is finding all my "oueys" and kissing them better. You are getting something so amazing, how could they not come around?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That was my thought too. My good friend had two close couple friends shy away from them when they had children, and the friends were having problems, and it worsened when they had a second child and the friends still had not conceived their first. I can speak from experience to say, when I'm at my lowest point pre-pregnancy and feeling so down about IF, the last thing I want to hear is all about pregnancy, babies and others asking me when I'm going to have a child.
    If you think this is the case, try not to mention your bun too much.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    I definitely would not confront them, and I would also try to talk to them normally about non baby topics. That way, if it is related to their own ttc problems, they will see that you aren't a walking talking reminder but still the same person.
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    edited July 2015
    I loved @RachelM32's comment because it sounds like she knows exactly what she needs, but I actually agree with @Mamabeagle on not confronting your friends. I would be patient, keep trying to maintain the connection and maybe even asking them, "Hey, wanna get together this weekend? What do you guys want to do?"

...When my friend got pregnant for the first time, I probably became weird because I just literally had no idea what to do or say, and really couldn't relate to her desire to have kids at the time. But I still liked her, and still wanted her in my life; I just didn't know how to do that, and I genuinely respect that she didn't push me in any way. If she had, I don't think it would have worked in her favour.

Also remember that you are probably hyper-aware of what's happening. They might not even think their actions are that big of a deal, or there might be something going on that you aren't aware of. For example, if one of them wants a baby and the other doesn't, it could cause fights every time they see you. Just be cool, be patient, and they'll come around if they really are your friends. :) 
  • Options
    I found out ten weeks ago and told my 'closest friends'
    I'm 22 and work in hospitality, I used to smoke but obviously stopped right away. The girls used to come over here after we finished our dinner shifts and we'd sit out the back having a few smokes and they'd drink (I've never really been a drinker)
    After I got pregnant I obviously couldn't be around smoke and I started getting really sick two weeks after finding out and going to bed earlier. Apparently seeing me after that became to much of a sacrifice. They stopped coming over during the day and at night and started only contacting me when they wanted something.
    It was really hard at first but I'm glad of it now.
    I do have two friends who have been amazing and so supportive. They're the ones I focus on now. Sometimes it still hurts that my 'best friends' don't contact me anymore. But I guess they're just not worth giving a second thought.

If they don't come round, you'll have other people supporting you. x
  • Options
    I echo some of the PP.  You never know what is happening in someone else's relationship, whether it be any of the options mentioned.  Their distance has more to do with them than you.  Be upbeat and show you are still the same person. You can't be responsible for others' behavior.
    DD born 6/14/13 MC Nov 2014 BFP on Mother's Day EDD 1/6/16
  • Options
    I agree that you should still offer to hang out from time to time, and talk about non-baby stuff if you do.  I remember when my brother and his wife got married after less than 2 years of dating, and she got pregnant like 10 seconds later.  Meanwhile I was with my BF of 6 years with no engagement or children in sight.  I was absolutely devastated that my brother's relationship and family was building so fast, and that he had this new, young, fertile wife whom he could probably impregnate just by looking at her!!  I put on a brave face though, and once the news had time to sink in, it got way better.  Now I have a lovely 2-year old nephew.

Luckily for me, DH and I just got hitched in May, and much to my surprise I was just barely pregnant at my wedding!  I was so sure that it would take me FOREVER to get pregnant, and sure enough we got it on the first shot.  I can't explain how grateful I am for that!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I can relate to both being a friend who becomes weird when she finds out her friend is pregnant, and also a friend whose friend became weird after she became pregnant.  When I was the former, it just took me a little while to get used to the idea and remember that my friend was still who she has always been.  I was just in a very different life stage than her and could not imagine why she would choose to have a baby, and on some level was sad and worried about our relationship changing.  When I was the latter, which would be right now, the friend in question is in a very different place in her life than I am.  She is the last of our close friends who is unmarried and doesn't have a child or is pregnant.  I am sure there is sadness and worry about our relationship changing, and also an inability to imagine why I would choose this.

When I was being the weirdo, it really helped that my friend kept pursuing me and left the door open for when I got over myself.  I think it is important to appreciate that pregnancy changes everything and I think my friend recognized that and didn't take my standoffishness personally, which was why she was able to continue reaching out to me.

• Options
    I posted something similar. Our neighbors, close friends of ours pre-announcement, completely removed us from all social media and have made it a abundantly clear they want nothing to do with us. I was incredibly hurt at first. However, I've taken resolve in that if they can't be happy about the happiest time of my life, I don't really want them around for it. So, for now we will have to deal with overhearing them laughing about us in the yard and all of those mean-mugs they keep through our way over the fence. I hope things get better for you.. They sure won't let up for me lol
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    Barley26 said:

I posted something similar. Our neighbors, close friends of ours pre-announcement, completely removed us from all social media and have made it a abundantly clear they want nothing to do with us. I was incredibly hurt at first. However, I've taken resolve in that if they can't be happy about the happiest time of my life, I don't really want them around for it. So, for now we will have to deal with overhearing them laughing about us in the yard and all of those mean-mugs they keep through our way over the fence. I hope things get better for you.. They sure won't let up for me lol

What?! Are your neighbours 12 years old?
  • Options
    I would give them some time as someone else said. Our friends have not done this, but I was actually the one who bawled my eyes out this weekend because I fear the relationships changing. I bet your friends are going through that same thought process and don't know how to approach it. Also, maybe they have secretly been trying and it's hard to be happy. I know I was that was for almost 2 years...
  • Options
    @Barley26 they still haven't come around?? And you hear them talking about you?? How awful! At least you found out what crappy people they truly are. Sorry you have to go through this!