February 2016 Moms
Options

Horrible baby names...

SO and I have a girl name picked out. We are not sold on a boy name yet. However he was talking to his mom yesterday and she likes Riley for a boy or a girl.
Yeah...nope! Not a chance in hell.
I'm Jewish so I like to keep with more Jewish/Isreali names. My DD is named after a Jewish Isreali fashion designer because I fell in love with her name and the meaning behind it. It's not a common name. My family wanted something more common. I told them it was either the name I picked out or $hithead (pronounced Shhh thed and its a legit female name from a country that I forget) and then my family shut up.

Share your name frustration!

Re: Horrible baby names...

• Options
    PaniaOPaniaO member
    My mom's dog's name was Riley. That is all.
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • Options
    I love boy names for girls and DH is just not having it! Boo!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I affectionately refer to DH as $hithead (pronounced "sha-theed") on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Yikes @moomee. Those are awful.

I have been side eyeing tons of the names on our name thread but I won't say anything. Haha.

I don't really see what's wrong with Riley, though. It isn't my style but it's not cringe-worthy.
  • Options
    MaybeMabMaybeMab member
    edited July 2015
    I love my daughters name (Charlie), she is named after my gramps (he's my best friend) but if one more person asks me if she named after the Disney show or if it was short for Charlotte, I might scream.

With that said I work in a pharmacy and some of the people come in with their kids scripts and I can't help but feel bad for them.
  • Options
    MaybeMab said:

I love my daughters name (Charlie), she is named after my gramps (he's my best friend) but if one more person asks me if she named after the Disney show or if it was short for Charlotte, I might scream.

With that said I work in a pharmacy and some of the people come in with their kids scripts and I can't help but feel bad for them.

I have a Charley too! We also named her after her Grandfather, my FIL passed away when I was 7 mos pregnant with her. I get asked the same thing all the time, its highly annoying.
  • Options
    We have a boy Charlie, but didn't find out the sex and had planned on the name either way. He has a little girl in his daycare class named Charli.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't roll my eyes at many names, but I will totally roll my eyes at some spellings. There was a girl in my daughters daycare named Kla'rissa, poor child.
    imageimageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I like traditional names, when I was naming my son I thought of what that mean would sound like on an adult male and if it didn't work then it was crossed off the list. Riley isn't my style either but it's not terrible. BTW my son was named John, so you can tell which way I go.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    VkrosaVkrosa member
    Names for boys spelt and pronounced as a girls name. Example. My DH Jean not said "John" but said "Gene!" He hates it and swears he will never make that mistake with his own kids.
  • Options
    I really liked the name Kale when I was pregnant with my twins. My husband actually liked it too which was rare because we couldn't agree on any names. I heard the name on a movie before I even knew it was a type of lettuce. But when I told my mom I was liking that name she would not stop going on and on about how it's a lettuce and that if we named on twin kale we'd have to name the other arugula. Made me so mad and I obviously can't use that name now because I know she would make fun of it till the end of time. Made me pretty upset. Still does.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    moomeemoomee member
    @HBirdie @g0lightly8706 Lol, right? I told her that she was fired from baby names.
    Mama Bear to Ollie, Leilah, and Lennon. Pregnant with Little Moo 2.0 (our rainbow baby). Due 02/14/2016.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @marie8elise The arugula comment was unnecessary, but I do think poor little Kale would've gotten really tired of lettuce jokes. :(
    Ps- I love the kale salad mix at Costco, but I cannot eat it right now. That stuff takes my bloating to a whole new level of horribleness!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ss456 Ya I'm sure he would have, and so would I! Still makes me mad though! I've never even had kale lettuce in my life ha. Like I said I didn't even know it was a lettuce! Ha :/

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have a boy Charlie too, though his full name is Charles. He was also name after my Pop. My MIL tries to tell people it's a family name on her side, um no no it's not and if she ever says it in earshot of me I will rip her a new one. It's starting to feel super disrespectful that she's trying to lay claim to a name that has so much meaning to me.
  • Options
    PaniaOPaniaO member

DizzyMom1 said:
    I don't roll my eyes at many names, but I will totally roll my eyes at some spellings. There was a girl in my daughters daycare named Kla'rissa, poor child.
    This reminds me of the X# of ways researchers found the name "Unique" spelled in the segment from Freakonomics. Uneek, Uneqqee, etc.

I really really love the name Gemma, but I suggested it for one of my mom's dogs awhile back, so now it's ruined for me. (Same thing happened with Riley, as I noted above.)

Also, FWIW, I recall a thread in the Baby Names forum on TB wherein a member noted that names like "Happiness" are the norm in African culture: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/87170671#Comment_87170671

(albeit spelled correctly. I knew a kid named Denym. Not the same, but hey...)

And, finally, while on the subject of spelling, this argument rocks and all should give it a glance-over at least, IMHO: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12327146/why-name-spelling-matters/p1
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • Options
    VkrosaVkrosa member
    In my DD's class. Real. yep and his last name started with a G so his folks call him the Real G.
  • Options

i feel like this could get ugly if someone lists a name someone else is thinking about or even named themselves

Nah, everyone has their own opinions and tastes. I despise certain names, doesn't mean I'll despise your kid or you... or does it... you'll never know.

Trapper, their kid... not their dog... Trapper?!
    But the kid is flipping adorable, so there's that. It's a heck of a lot better than some I've heard.

My BFF looked at me like I had 3 heads when I mentioned liking Kealy/Keely. She then told me there was no way that was a real name (we went to school with 2, one of each spelling) and asked me if I meant Keel-E-uh. Uhhhh da fuq and I'm the one making up names?! (In retrospect it's actually not a terrible name, kind of pretty, but I was shocked that was her response.)
    Avid babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating, SAHM of M ~ 12/11 and S ~6/13.
    Married New Year's Day 2013
    Previously Clizh, bumping since 2009 and still mourning my platinum medal. ;)

• Options
    C3DuffyC3Duffy member
    edited July 2015

@VannyBrown
    Riley is also our chosen girl name. I think it's super cute. Haha I also liked Harper Avery but I don't think the DH is keen on us naming after Grey's Anatomy. Our dogs are already pop culture references, Dunder Mifflin and Regina George.

Regina George?! You're my new best friend.

Avid babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating, SAHM of M ~ 12/11 and S ~6/13.
    Married New Year's Day 2013
    Previously Clizh, bumping since 2009 and still mourning my platinum medal. ;)

• Options
    @marie8elise - Same thing happened with us! Before we knew our daughter was a girl, we loved the name Kale for a boy, then the big kale chip craze came up and it was suddenly off the table. I ended up being very glad she was a girl since that was the only boy name we ever fully agreed upon. I would've been really mad if my mom had gone on and on like that too, it was hard enough letting the name go without someone doing that!
    imageimageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My girls are Kaya (pronounced Kay-uh) and Acea (pronounced Ace-uh). I thought it was pretty straight forward but I get people calling them Kee-yah or Ky-yah and Uh-see-Yah. Really?

Are my kids names that hard? They are said EXACTLY how they are spelled. I don't get it...
  • Options
    @ayokay516 I never would have pronounced those names that way, either. So I guess those are off my name list!
  • Options
    bookqueen said:

ayokay516 said:

My girls are Kaya (pronounced Kay-uh) and Acea (pronounced Ace-uh). I thought it was pretty straight forward but I get people calling them Kee-yah or Ky-yah and Uh-see-Yah. Really?

Are my kids names that hard? They are said EXACTLY how they are spelled. I don't get it...

To be honest, if you didn't say what they were supposed to be pronounced like, I would have thought they were pronounced Ky-yah and Uh-see-uh..
    Kaya is traditionally pronounced ky-uh I believe, so I'd butcher it too. Sorry :(

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Liane28Liane28 member
    edited July 2015
    @Vkrosa Réal is a very common french name, actually. It's pronounced "Ray-al" and was pretty popular in the '40's, especially in French Canada. Lots of people's grandfathers carry that name over here lol ;) but I agree that itms a tough name to pronounce in English and becomes real, like fo real. Haha
  • Options
    QuazelQuazel member
    I have a good friend who named her son Kale. He is seven now and the name is perfect. I'm not a huge fan of Riley either but definitely not a name I would side eye.

I'm a teacher and some of the names I see are, uh, interesting. I have no problem with ethnic names, it's made up names I find surprising. Anything with an apostrophe or multiple capital letters is cause for trouble. I hade one a few years ago N'Dia. To me it would be Nnn-d-ee-uh. Nope, India, like the country. One of the best kids I've ever had the pleasure of teaching. That one isn't too far off, I'm not comfortable posting others that may be searchable due to uniqueness. And yes, I've had tons of variations of Unique, Precious, Heaven, Nevaeh, etc.
  • Options
    Our daughters name is kiley and everyone likes it but my dad and brother. They asked if this time we could go more traditional, but if it's a boy my husband loves chase (still up in the air how I feel about it). and we have nothing if it's another girl. Hopefully in the next 34 weeks we come up with something.

Good luck
  • Options
    My grandfather is a pastor and baptized a Polly Esther Sheets. My husband's high school friend is Candy Loving Angel. I'm a high school teacher and have seen some what I perceive to be seriously ridiculous names (case in point: Messiah), and super crazy spellings. Poor kids. Freakonomics, the book and documentary, have a whole segment on how names can make or break someone's future successes.