High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

30 weeks diagnosed with IUGR

Hello ladies

I'm 30 weeks pregnant with my first, a beautiful baby girl to be and I just got back from my doctors appointment with some scary news.

About a month ago she measured very small, in the 7th percentile, so my doctor ordered weekly Doppler ultrasounds to monitor umbilical cord function, and said we would do another growth scan in four weeks and hope that she would get into the 10th percentile or higher or that should would have IUGR. I wasn't put on bed rest, or diet restriction or anything. I came in every week, and so far Doppler function has been fine. Today we did the growth scan and found out that despite all our prayers she had dropped even lower and is now in the fourth percentile. My doctor is planning to take her now at 35 weeks if she stays at least at fourth percentile, or take her as soon as she drops below the third percentile, or also if the dopplers show any lessening in function. Needless to say I'm a nervous wreck. She said there's nothing I have done or can do to change this, and didn't recommend bed rest or diet change which is kind of driving me crazy because I feel like I should be able to do something to help my little girl.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through an IUGR pregnancy and been allowed to keep baby to full term without them inducing, or if your doctor recommended anything to do to help give baby the best chances for "cooking" as long as possible?? I'm starting to doubt my doctor and if taking her early is the only solution. I really want to avoid the nicu and being induced if I can, but it's starting to look like that won't be an option for us.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, or success stories you have to share

Re: 30 weeks diagnosed with IUGR

• Options
    I don't have experience with that, but they're nothing wrong with being a second opinion. :) I'd find a perinatologist and see what they say. I see one as my regular OBGYN, but people come in all of the time to see her once for second opinions.
  • Options
    My first was born iugr, we didn't know until birth so I can't help you out on that end. Just remember that with iugr baby isn't getting what it needs inside and they will fair better outside
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was in a very similar situation with my first pregnancy. My son was measuring in about the fifteenth percentile at 30 weeks. I had Doppler scans every few days from that point. There was blood flow restriction in the umbilical cord. My doctors also told me there was nothing that i could do to help. They ended up delivering my son by c section at 34 weeks because the blood flow reversed and my son essentially stopped growing. He was 3 lbs when he was born and spent 4 weeks in the nicu. He is perfectly healthy now at 14 months. My doctors were some of the best high risk doctors in the country. My son was delivered by them at one of the best hospitals for this so i really trusted their opinions. Let me know if i can give you any more info.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure if I necessarily have IUGR, because I haven't heard that from the doctors yet. (After reading through a few threads, I plan on asking this at my next appointment)
    But I do know that I am 35 weeks and our little one is below the 5th percentile.
    I am monitored often. An ultrasound once a week and a NST once a week.
    All of my doctors have told me that I am the best incubator until the tests show otherwise.
    Which I believe they are speaking of the ultrasound umbilical doppler readings.
    Recently, my numbers have started to increase and they say if they keep going up they will be delivering sooner.

I'm actually confused because your doctors want to deliver, while mine want me to get to 37 weeks.
    I suppose the difference may be that I don't have IUGR, but I'm not really sure.

Either way, it's very nerve wrecking and I understand the situation you are in. We just keep praying everything comes out okay.

• Options
    I know for my case at least we had to wait on two different growth scans which are done a month apart to come back under the 10th for her to be diagnosed IUGR. Ideally my doctors would like me to get as far as I can, but with how fast she has been dropping (14, 7th, 4th) they're just preparing me for the worst I think. I know getting under the 3rd percentile is when they've told me they will most likely take her, or if the dopplers show a decrease in getting her what she needs.

It is scary to think they will come early, or just that anything isn't going as perfect as we would hope, but I am confident we will have healthy babies that come right when they are meant to!

Good luck and thank you for your reply :)
  • Options
    Best of luck to you also! :)

I just recently joined this place to look for some support and stories for similar situations.
    It's been an uphill battle almost my whole pregnancy. Our little one has always been small but seems to still be growing and following a curve. So we are hoping for the best.

I was really really hoping that he would get to 5 lbs. But it seems we will be lucky to make it to 4 by the time they decide to deliver.

Keep us updated on your situation!
    :)
  • Options
    I've been going through the same thing my whole pregnancy. I am only 26weeks now though and baby has dropped to 2% and the dopplers are showing signs of restricted blood flow. The dr is just hoping I can make it to 28 weeks now. I'm so confused, sad, scared, ect. The doctor said there is absolutely nothing she or I can do other than to take the baby out soon. She said it was nothing I did to cause this it is just a crappy placenta and bad luck. I had two rounds of steriod shots this week so hopefully that will help strengthen baby girls lungs before she comes into this world way, way too early.
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with IUGR with baby in the 3rd%ile at 29w5d. I had other problems - oligohydramnios and pre eclampsia - and was admitted for hospital bed rest. 2 weeks later at 31w5d, baby had grown to 26th%ile - so there is hope! We ended up delivering at 36 weeks, and LO was 5lb3oz. Good luck- I hope everyone can keep their LOs cooking as long as possible :)
  • Options
    Jaykaygill I am so sorry! It is so scary, but from everything I've heard even though it's not ideal and we don't want our sweet babies in the nicu instead of our arms, it seems like they fair much much better when they have IUGR when they do come out into the world. I've heard so many stories about how quickly babies catch up once they come out even if they're just tiny. I'm 31 weeks now and my dopplers are still fine, so as long as she doesn't get below 3% and my dopplers stay okay then I'm really hoping she can make it to 36 weeks! Hopefully your baby will surprise you and grow, grow, grow too!! But no matter what we live in a time of wonderful modern medicine and I am confident your doctors will take good care of you and baby! Best of luck :) let me know how it goes
  • Options
    Wow knwilliams01 that is wonderful!! They do my dopplers weekly but won't check her growth again until the 6th so I am so hoping for good good news!! Thank you for that positive story :) when they induced you were you able to deliver naturally or by c-section if you don't mind me asking? I am nervous I will end up being forced into c-section if they have to take her soon because she still has not gotten out of breech position it's making me nervous
  • Options
    kaityhylton- Thanks for the reply! So your doctor says that if she falls below 3% she has to come then? My baby girl has fallen to 2% and wondering if I should be questioning the dr more. Do you know the reasoning for under 3%? I can't take her dropping much more, and frankly it's not good for her. I just want to make sure I'm doing all I should do for her. Xo
  • Options
    If she falls below 3% "we will make a new plan to take her earlier" but not necessarily immediately from what I understand. My understanding is that she would have to come around 34 weeks at the point, because I'm assuming that means she isn't getting what she needs from me to grow how she should. She has dropped significantly each growth scan when in the beginning she was very high on her percentiles, so I think it's more because she's obviously decreasing rather than just having been small the entire time. I had an appointment yesterday and she was not moving much at all, so they had to "buzz" her which was very scary for me, but we eventually got her moving, and they told me her fluid was significantly lower, but still okay enough to not take her yet. It's all very scary and I walk in to my weekly appointments scared and anxious every time they'll decide to take her that day and even though they haven't yet, I walk out feeling like I don't have much information. It seems to be kind of a "watch and see" thing. But hopefully they're monitoring you closely like they are me. My doctor told me 30 weeks is a wonderful milestone to reach, and you're close!! No matter what modern medicine is amazing and if they do take her before then know that it is because they strongly believe she will do better out here with you!! Only mildly comforting I know, but as we hear over and over "don't stress!!". It's not good for either of you! (Though nearly impossible, I know!) you are in my prayers! Let me know how things go :)
  • Options
    Same exact feeling every time I walk out! :) I say that to my husband after every appt. BUT they are monitoring me so, so closely as I have two appointments a week-every couple of days they are doing an ultrasound. I had a couple of days last week where I was very overwhelmed but I've really just accepted it is all out of my hands and I'll be strong. Hang in there too, Mama! Keep me updated!
  • Options
    @kaityhylton I delivered via C-section as DD was breech. C-sections are not near as bad as people make them out to be. I was back to normal in 2 weeks, off pain meds in 2 days
  • Options
    My son was born at 35 weeks 1 day with IUGR. I was seen by Maternal Fetal Medicine starting at 28 weeks and was diagnosed with IUGR at 30 weeks. My son was born weighing 4lbs 1oz and 18.5" long. He spent 12 days in the NICU due to his inability to gain weight and eat without a feeding tube. Otherwise he was a very healthy late preemie. Today, he is 3 1/2 years old and you would never know that he was born early. Now with my second pregnancy, they aren't classifying me as a high risk yet, but they are watching me carefully and sending me to be seen by MFM for my anatomy scan/growth scans later.
  • Options
    It's so wonderful to hear everyone's amazing stories of how their little ones do so well!! ☺️

I figured I would update to my post earlier!

The doppler numbers they were checking just kept moving up every week and the doctors all made the decision to deliver at 37 weeks.

I had my little man on June 22nd! He weighed only 3 lbs 8 ounces and 17 inches long. Just a peanut compared to the other babies!
    A week and a day later, we are up to 3 lb. 14 ounces.
    He has been gaining an ounce a day!!
    One more ounce and the dr will be working on getting him out of the incubator! Hopefully home by the end of the weekend! **fingers crossed**

It's a scary situation to be in. Especially with everything being so unknown.
    But there is hope!
  • Options
    Would love to hear updates on everyone's IUGR baby? What your doctors are doing/saying, dopplers, growth scans results ect.

My dr didn't think I'd make it passed 28 weeks but we are there! The dopplers showed restricted blood flow at 25/26 weeks and I got steroid shots but now the dopplers are averaging in the normal range and she always passes the weekly bpp's so we are still out of the hospital and home. Our next growth scan is exactly one week away so we will know more then.
  • Options

I am so glad I found this thread. My little one has been measuring small my entire pregnancy and they've got me going for weekly nonstress tests and dopplers. He was at 15% at 20 weeks, 11% at 25 weeks and he dropped to 5% at 28. I have another growth scan at 33 weeks and I'm hoping he at least follows the curve. They have not diagnosed me offically with IUGR yet, because there hasn't been any signs of restricted blood flow, but I know that can happen at anytime.

Good luck to all you lovely ladies!

Justin Kyle

• Options
    @laurenashleyy
    Im with you! My whole pregnancy my little guy was measuring small, but I was never technically diagnosed with IUGR. Until maybe the end (around 35-37 weeks!). Just small for gestational age is all they would keep saying.

But I wish you luck! :)
    My little one is doing well! He was born on June 22nd and has gained half a pound since he was born! Everything else seems to be good and they keep saying he is healthy! So there is hope!
    :)
  • Options
    Just wanted to share my experience- I had severe iugr with my 1st (now pregnant with #4 and no iugr since #1). Nick was measuring 2 or so weeks behind at my 20 week scan so they had me come back at 24 weeks for a rescan and he was measuring even more behind, it was still wait and see so I came back at 27 weeks for a repeat scan and he was even more restricted. From that appointment they directly admitted me into the special care ob floor and I was on strict hospital bed rest until 37 weeks when I was induced. In the 10 weeks of bed rest they did scans every 2 weeks and always had a certain amount of growth they wanted to see otherwise they would induce. My little guy squeaked by each time giving me another 2 weeks before induction. He was very very small and at 37 weeks they determined he would do better outside vs in.

In my case, they couldn't find a cause for the iugr- normal healthy placenta, no TORCH infections, etc. He did great on my twice daily NSTs and BPP's which is why I think they were comfortable waiting to induce. They also explained there is no concrete evidence in bed rest helping with iugr but wanted me to exert the least amount of energy so that baby had the best blood flow and being in bed laying on my left side was the best way to achieve that.

So I was induced and it was a fairly routine labor, aside from being somewhat lengthy. He was born at 37wks weighing 3lbs 6oz but was perfectly healthy! We were expecting a nicu stay and other health issues and didn't have that at all. He was able to stay with me the whole time we were in the hospital and he came home 4 days after being born. They kept us an extra 2 days just as a precaution and to monitor that he was eating okay. Honestly, I think they just weren't sure what to think of a healthy 3lb baby :-)

We later found out that Nicks growth restriction was due to a genetic growth disorder called Russell-silver syndrome. He is 5 now and pretty healthy aside from still having growth issues. RSS is pretty rare so it's most likely not the case but it explains why he was so tiny and why he had minimal health issues at birth aside from his size. I blogged my entire experience in detail so if you want to read what my experiences were and what we were told, how it was handled, etc. Feel free to check out my blog. Look back at entries starting in 2009, he was born March 2010. Hth and good luck!

Laurensrealreality.blogspot.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @amueller2015 CONGRATS!!! Did you guys make it home by now hopefully?? How long was total nicu stay? We have our next growth scan tomorrow and if all goes well and she hasn't dropped down to 3 or below, my doctor is willing to let me try and stay til 37 which I am REALLY hoping for!! 

@knwilliams01 : Stella turned!!! So c-section is less of a mandate now, but still a possibility if she doesn't take being induced well, and it seems this baby is set on doing things on her own time, so we will see :) glad to know yours wasnt as horrible as some of the ones ive read about though!! 

@jaykaygill: Congrats!! 28 weeks is a big milestone to reach with preemies I hear!! I am 33 now, so I'm hoping we are out of the hot water mostly. Still want her to stay in as long as possible, but every day we get through is a blessing! Let me know how your next growth scan goes, my next one is tomorrow and I'm very anxious. She was 4th percentile last time, so as long as she has stayed there (or hopefully gone up) my doctor is considering letting me try and stay pregnant until 37 weeks, granted the dopplers and BPP's keep going well! 

@Laurenashleyy, from what my doctor told me it takes two growth scans measuring under the 10th % to confirm iugr, so unless baby has grown, this next one might do it for you, but I sure hope not!! 

• Options
    Update: We are now stuck in the hospital. Baby girl dropped down under the 1st percentile and the Doppler was elevated this morning. Just had my booster steroid shots. :(
  • Options
    I'm glad I found this board although it is making me working. Just had my 24wk growth scan yesterday and was 8th percentile. They will check Doppler blood flow in week (said it was great yesterday) and then again plus growth in two weeks. Fingers crossed baby will gain some more weight and get above 10%.

@JayKaygill any update? Praying for you!
  • Options
    @JayKaygill hoping everything goes smoothly for you!! Keep us updated

And @christina4436 welcome :) will add you to my prayers!

So I had another growth scan, and thank the lord she stayed at 4th percentile, or my doctor would've already induced. We set my induction date for August 3 at 37 weeks. Before I found out about her IUGR I was really against being induced, but now, I just want her healthy so I don't really care. 18 days!!
  • Options
    Thanks @kaityhylton ! Look forward to hearing about the rest of your journey.
  • Options
    Well I'm still pregnant but still in the hospital getting monitored a couple of times each day. She's been doing awesome so far. Not sure we will be able to come home though bc she's dropped so low and have high dopplers. Next growth scan isn't for a few weeks now so we wait.
  • Options
    jennOKjennOK member
    I had an IUGR baby on my due date. It was a bad thing because my doctor didn't realize anything was wrong until that day. He was emergency c-section because he was far too weak to go through the birthing process. It could have been a disaster, but thank God he's a healthy, active 2 year old now.

I just want to say it sounds like your doctors are staying right on top of the situation which is exactly what you want. IUGR babies need to get out as soon as is safely possible because the growth on the inside just isn't happening like it should. Sending good thoughts your way during this stressful process.
  • Options

kaityhylton

So, I had a growth on Thursday and he's measuring <%3! 3lbs 8oz at 33 weeks. Now, they're talking about taking him at 39 weeks or sooner if he doesn't keep gaining. I have another growth scan on August 6th, which puts me exactly at 36 weeks. I'm hoping he gains another pound like he did with this last scan...

How are you fairing?

Justin Kyle

• Options

Hi Ladies,

Firstly, I am so sorry that you are dealing with IUGR, it is so very stressful.  I am new to the board and thought that sharing my story with our DS might help.  I was diagnosed with IUGR at 30 weeks I was admitted to the hospital for the IUGR and PTL.  We got the steroid shots and eventually were allowed to go home over a week later with strict instructions to come in with any decreased movement.  I went for the NST twice weekly and ultrasound with Doppler weekly and other than that stayed in bed for the next 7 weeks.  We had a growth scan the day I delivered at 37 weeks exactly and it turned out that the ultrasound measurement had been 14 oz off for our DS's weight. They told us he only weighed 5 lbs. We were partially induced because of the IUGR and also by the time I got to the office for the scan my contractions were starting again so they sent us over to the hospital.  As soon as I started to really push his heart rate tanked down below 50 and they got him out immediately.  When he was born they had the NICU standing by (luckily we were at level 4 facility), when LO was born he was tiny, but perfect and did not spend anytime in the NICU.  So try to focus on the good strong heartbeats, lots of movement and every week from this point forward is a huge bonus.  That's the somewhat short version and if I can answer any questions for you please let me know.  it sounds like you are all in good hands and getting great treatment, best of luck to you all.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• Options
    How's everyone doing. I'm 26+5 days today and baby grew a healthy amount, now 1lb 12 ounces. Still Small- about 6th percentile.. So will continue to go weekly. But cord flow continues to be strong so that is good.
  • Options
    We are in the hospital!! Got here at four and they started the cervadill around 5. Seeing how this progresses things and the plan is to start the pintocin about 6 am. Keep us in your Prayers! I will update
  • Options
    Good luck!! Assuming they induced to get out since baby dropped in percentile? Do you know weight? Keep us posted you guys with do great!!!
  • Options
    Thinking about you!! Keep us updated! Sorry it took so long to reply! I've been busy trying to adjust to the whole new baby thing! ❤️

However, our little one had to stay for two weeks. He just kept doing better and better each day.
    Now that he is 6 weeks old (7 on Monday) his weight was checked last week and he was weighing in at 6 pounds 8 ounces. He's been doing great and is on a special high calorie formula!

Can't wait to hear how your little one is doing! :)
  • Options
    erincjacksonerincjackson member
    edited August 2015
    Hi ladies. I've just found this board and wanted to extend my thoughts and prayers to you all and your miracle babies.

I am curious if any of your IUGR was associated with SUA? Ours was found this week and a common problem that can be associated with a SUA is IUGR. I've never experienced anything like this before so any information would be wonderful.
  • Options
    My daughter was diagnosed with IUGR at 37 weeks and induced that day. I firmly believe that she was just constitutionally small though, she's maintain a steady growth curve since birth. Now my second daughter (3rd baby) is measuring smaller than her at 20 weeks they've diagnosed IUGR and she's also a SUA baby. I'm at 3-4 week growth scans (more frequent if her percentiles drop) I also recently found out I have a family history of MTHFR and plan to bring that up at my next appointment. Hopefully she continues her curve and I just have another small newborn
  • Options
    I had my first in 2007.  In addition to contracting Rh disease (I have a negative blood type, she had a positive, and our blood mixed so my body creates antibodies against the growing baby), she was also diagnosed with IUGR.  I was already having weekly/bi-weekly ultrasounds and non-stress tests, so they kept on eye on everything.  My water broke at 39 weeks, but labor didn't progress so I was induced.  She was only 5lbs 6oz, but healthy.  She's currently seven and has consistently remained on the lower end of the growth charts, but is tall for her age and extremely healthy.