Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

6 week baby boy

what should babies be doing at 6 weeks? He's being more alert now, but what are some of the things baby should be developing now or doing?

Re: 6 week baby boy

• Options
    They don't really do much!
  • Options
    I agree. Not much yet. My baby started socially smiling around 8 weeks. It just gets better & better. Around 6 weeks he started trying to lift his head up during tummy time. Now he can hold it up for almost a minute at a time.
    remember though, all babies develop at their own pace :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks I just asked bc everyone we FaceTime my in laws they are asking whAt does he do during the day and is he able to hold things and the last night she was like did we count numbers?!? I was thinking isn't that too early.
  • Options
    He should be eating and sleeping. :) The sleeping stretches might be getting a bit longer now (mine is sleeping 3.5 hours at a time and waking only for quick feeds at night).

Sometime around 6-8 weeks, he should be able to hold a gaze and might start smiling.  Mine can lift his head for a few seconds during tummy time, but every kid is different.

Mostly, he's just eating and sleeping and producing dirty diapers. :) 
  • Options
    Ok thanks!! He actually is following us around I the room and also smiling when we talk or play with him some. He gripes our fingers l, we are trying to wen him off the mittens but he tends to scratch himself all the time. He alert a lot now and up more in the day, he's also making noises it funny. So I guess he's doing what he needs to be doing at 6 weeks
  • Options
    Smiling is the first thing they will do at 6 weeks. Giving some different facial expressions and making small grunty noises , these are things I have observed in my baby girl when she was at 6 weeks.
  • Options
    My baby is 7 weeks tomorrow and he loves standing on his feet (with us holding him obviously), he gets at least an hour a day of playtime on his activity gym with some tummy time. During tummy time he lifts his head really well and turns his head and is starting to try to lift his chest off the mat. He smiles occasionally and he is making distinct coos. But mostly, he sleeps!! Just remember every baby is different and develops at a different rate, so as long as your pediatrician isn't concerned and you're doing as recommended then I'm sure your baby is doing what s/he needs.