2nd Trimester

Obsessive Weight Gain

Before I was pregnant I was 135 on a heavy day. And now I am 155 AT 16 WEEKS! I am trying to stay away from unhealthy foods but I do have them occasionally and I'm try to stay as active as I can; I am ALWAYS running around with my 3 1/2 year old. This did happen in my last pregnancy as well. I gained a total of 55 lbs. I just don't understand WHY!? Ugh it makes me so self conscious by gaining all of this weight. Does anyone else have this problem? Because I feel completely alone out here.

Re: Obsessive Weight Gain

• Everyone gains differently. Try to relax. Your body is growing a human. You're doubling your blood volume, increasing your water retention, building a placenta and amniotic fluid...some people are going to gain more than others. As long as you are still eating healthy (for the most part, don't be afraid to indulge every now and then!) and being active, your body will do exactly what it needs to do. And after baby is here, you'll be able to lose that weight again (it sounds like you lost it after your first!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • YoganinjaYoganinja member
    edited June 2015
    Wow!!! This is me to a T!!!! I was just going to post this!!! I am 5'3. Hourglass. Always had a great body with muscle mass and toned. When I got pregnant in 2011 with my now 3.5 year old I gained 55 lbs!!!!! This time I am 20 weeks and already gained 15.
  • Loading the player...
  • On the bright side I don't have stretch marks so that's good I guess. Lol c
  • I am the same way! At 14 weeks, I had gained 30 pounds. I freaked out. Thankfully, my weight gain has slowed down. I'm now 22 weeks and have only gained 5 more. I know weight gain increases again in the third trimester, so I'm bracing myself for the change.
  • I always gained a ton, first pregnancy 50, and 74 because I lost 110lbs prior and my third was 54. This one is slow and different so far, but like everyone else said weight gain is part of pregnancy and some gain more and then others even with eating relativity good. I think it just depends on your body.
  • I gained 59 lbs with my last pregnancy, and I'm not sure how much I gained this pregnancy so far, probably around 15-17 lbs at 23 weeks !
  • I hope you mean excessive, not obsessive, because huh??

If I had to guess, I would suspect that you are being a little disingenuous to yourself when you say you have unhealthy foods "occasionally." If you're gaining that fast, you're probably not eating as healthily as you think you are. Keep a food diary and see exactly what you're eating each day. There is ton of nutritional advice about the right number of calories and balance of foods to eat while pregnant.

I only say this because I went through a few weeks where I gained faster, and I ultimately realized that it was because my secretary had started putting candy on her desk, and I was taking some too often and not really thinking about it because I was otherwise eating healthy. One mini Reese's cup is not a big deal, but 6 or 7 a day add up!
  • I gained a lot of weight too in the first trimester which is ironic because I was throwing up until I was about 15 weeks. I definitely noticed it had to do with lack of movement from being sick so much plus the majority of what I could eat and did eat was carbs or starches. Since I can eat normally now I have been utilizing my fitness pal app on my phone to keep an accurate calorie count. I also noticed I was drinking a lot more calories then I had  been before I was pregnant. I used to be a water or unsweetened ice teat girl now gatorade seems to call my name lol. Since you only need about 300 extra calories a day I try to aim for no more then 1600 per day. Of course that doesn't always happen. Its nice to hear some other ladies are in my boat with excessive weight gain; it has made me super self conscious these days.
  • JNOVA2015 said:
    I hope you mean excessive, not obsessive, because huh?? If I had to guess, I would suspect that you are being a little disingenuous to yourself when you say you have unhealthy foods "occasionally." If you're gaining that fast, you're probably not eating as healthily as you think you are. Keep a food diary and see exactly what you're eating each day. There is ton of nutritional advice about the right number of calories and balance of foods to eat while pregnant. I only say this because I went through a few weeks where I gained faster, and I ultimately realized that it was because my secretary had started putting candy on her desk, and I was taking some too often and not really thinking about it because I was otherwise eating healthy. One mini Reese's cup is not a big deal, but 6 or 7 a day add up!
    Yeah this. "Healthy" is a weird thing. I have a friend who eats McDonald's salads because "healthy" - uh no. They contain the same amount of calories and fat as a cheeseburger. 

So be careful with that kind of little trick. 
  • I lost 130 pounds right before I got pregnant... I was eating very few calories and working out a lot. During my first trimester I gained 25 pounds because eating was my only way to keep the nausea at bay. Now I'm 21 weeks and I'm up to 35 pounds. I hate it but it's not like I can go back to my restrictive diet... would be horrible for me and baby. Just keeping up with my exercise as best I can and looking forward to breast feeding which I'm told really helps the weight loss.
  • Well considering my fiancé is a personal trainer so I have a complete meal plan every day I would doubt if we eating unhealthy is the problem. 85% of what I'm eating is fresh fruits and vegetables. I know the difference between healthy calories and unhealthy so your attitude is unwanted here. Thanks.
  • Well considering my fiancé is a personal trainer so I have a complete meal plan every day I would doubt if we eating unhealthy is the problem. 85% of what I'm eating is fresh fruits and vegetables. I know the difference between healthy calories and unhealthy so your attitude is unwanted here. Thanks.

No need to be so defensive OP. Unless your SO is a nutritionist as well I don't know that I would be following said "complete meal plan" since it does not appear to be working. Not getting enough calories and protein when pregnant can also cause gains because your body goes into starvation mode. Perhaps you need to visit a nutritionist.
  • With my oldest I went from 100lbs to 200lbs. Second one I gained 45 pounds, and third I gained 50 lbs. I am 15wks and have only gained 3lbs so far. It happens!
  • My first pregnancy I've gained 61 pounds and lost more shortly after my baby girl weighing at 126 lbs, my baby girl is now 3.5 years old
    My 2nd pregnancy I'm 15 wks pregnant and gained already 16 pounds, feeling very insecure how I look and my belly shows like I'm 6 months pregnant
    Trying to be patience