February 2016 Moms
Options

Family party, not drinking, not ready to tell...

I have a grad party this weekend for a family member.  I am usually always one that has a cocktail in hand at every party or event :)  My mom will be with me, she knows im pregnant and will have my back if I am asked why I'm not drinking....BUT - i am not ready to tell the extended family yet - im only 7 wks and i really want to wait until after next week's u/s to tell anyone.  SO - here's my question....do i bring my own 'red solo' cup, label it with my name, fill it with ginger ale?  OR use some diet excuse "on a cleanse, no alcohol for 21 days"...lol.  OR use a migraine excuse or something to that effect....
I know it's silly to even worry about, but like i said - im usually the first one to enjoy a cocktail, or i am the one behind the bar whipping them up.
Thoughts?!  Thanks ladies... xo

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Family party, not drinking, not ready to tell...

• Options
    We have had to deal with this several times so far and usually we come prepared with a "special drink" for me that looks like a cocktail that I've been "craving". Since you are the one making drinks a lot, why don't you just make your drinks while no one is paying attention and skip the alcohol? We have also done it at tailgate where Hubby will switch out beers with me and when no one is looking I pour some off to make it disappear faster. Anyone who knows me would know in a second if I wasn't drinking that I was pregnant so I totally understand having to hide it. Good luck! 
    BabyFetus Ticker

F16 Sep Siggy Challange - Fav Thing About Fall (even though "fall" won't be here until at least Dec)
    Green Bay animated GIF
  • Options
    Yeah - same boat here! We are having a big 30th birthday party for me this weekend. I am just going to fake drink until we are ready to tell. Since I too am always one with a drink in hand at these events I feel like it will be so much less obvious if I fake it than if I try to come up with excuses why I am not drinking (especially since most all our family and friends know we have been trying). Hope that helps!
    Married 7/20/13
    #1 MC August 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #2 MC November 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #3 EDD 2.17.16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just say you're really hungover from drinking last night!
  • Options
    I have a wedding this weekend where I will def be pressured to drink, and the cleanse one is good, but I plan on eating everything put in front of me so I'm not sure that will work. I have IBS so I'll probably blame it on that or ask the bartender for cranberry juice with a lime in the same glass a cocktail would come in that way it looks like I'm still drinking. I'll also have to deal with this on the 4th of July weekend. My family has a huge party, and I'll def be questioned if I'm not drinking all weekend. Good Luck to both of us!
  • Options
    WL525WL525 member
    Thanks, @bredoll !
    I think that's the best plan, just have a drink in hand - they dont need to know whats it in ;)
    LOL - i did that beer dumping thing with my first pregnancy, the only prob with that was after ppl found out i was preg. they all accused me of having beer that time...ugh!  What i really wanna say is ....mind your own peeps!  but then they will definitely figure it out :)

Thanks for the feedback, i'll make sure i bring my own 'stash' of non-alcoholic beverages (mixes).

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    WL525WL525 member
    edited June 2015
    @paytonpedro
    After i posted about the cleanse...the first thing i thought of was, 'oh wait, i cant use that one cuz I am going to be eating my face off' lol!  Yeah, i, too have a 4th of July bash with the husbands side of the family.  That will be after our u/s though, so if all goes ok with that, we may end up just telling them that day.  
    Good luck!  Good idea with the cranberry and lime...

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    WL525WL525 member
    @borgahurst
    Yikes - thats a big deal being that it's YOUR party!!!  Happy Birthday, btw! :)
    Yeah, just fake it, way too many ppl to have to answer to and you'll be annoyed by the end of the night, rather than enjoying yourself at the party.  
    GOOD LUCK!!  xo

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Cheat cocktail- I do cranberry and soda juice with a lime....

Just make sure you top it up or someone in the "inner circle of trust" tops it up
  • Options
    We have the same 'problem' we don't want to spill the beans till after the first trimester. At the end of the month we are going to a resort with my parents and my sisters family. I'm assuming there will be a good amount of cocktails being made and normally I will have at least one! I'm hoping I can get away with making my own mocktails and no one will notice.

@ACleanLife24 love your 'profile' picture!
  • Options
    Blame the heat. Don't want to get dehydrated

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    WL525WL525 member
    Thanks guys!!!  Totally appreciate the feedback and great ideas :)

xoxo

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Last time this was an issue. I'd poor two drinks , one for me, one for my sister in law. When she finished hers, we'd switch cups. Needless to say she had a lot of alcohol!
  • Options
    I'm just avoiding my family this time around so it's not an issue.

I would just say I'm not drinking and leave it at that. They might get suspicious, but it's none of their business if you don't want to share. I'm not a huge proponent of lying when it's not necessary.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    WL525WL525 member
    @magnumJ

Right...which is why i dont want to use the 'cleanse' or 'migraine' excuse.  I think if i just make my own drinks and mind my own business, no one will even ask or pay any attention anyway.  
    I wish i could avoid family ...LOL...that would be the best possible way to get through this...

Thanks!!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Antibiotics have been my go-to excuse!
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    WL525WL525 member
    @thechristyfamily

that's pretty funny!!  She must have been slurring by the end of the night! haha..
    Good idea :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I usually go with the antibiotic excuse. I'm going to a party on Saturday with friends I'm not ready to tell, but I'm just going to tell them that I don't want to drink since I have to drive an hour through NYC traffic to get home, plus I'll have my toddler with me. Also my favorite fake cocktail is a virgin margarita. I use margarita mix that doesn't already have the alcohol added and mix it with sparkling water instead of tequila. I even put salt on the glass, so tasty and no one can tell the difference.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    momPDXmomPDX member
    Just let the bartender know! Any bartender worth while 1. Knows how to keep a secret and 2. Know the best mocktails! You can make (almost) anything look alcoholic! Even if people are doing shots!

My personal favorites:
    Cranberry, pineapple, or orange juice w/ soda and a lime. Bloody Mary mix. Half coke half soda or sprite w/ citrus fruit. Even just soda water with a twist or an olive on the edge of the glass will fool anyone!
  • Options
    Last time this was an issue. I'd poor two drinks , one for me, one for my sister in law. When she finished hers, we'd switch cups. Needless to say she had a lot of alcohol!
    Isn't this an episode of OIMYM where Marshall secretly has to down all the shots for Lily at the wedding.... ?

I am having a huge July 4th party and am one who can put away a lot of alcohol... so I am going to have my special cup (has a lid) and just make myself mixer cocktails all day... hoping I get everyone else so drunk and fed they are too happy to pay that much attention
  • Options
    I used an empty vodka bottle filled with water at a party last weekend. It worked great and I stayed hydrated drinking lemonade! Also, no one questions a beer! I really like the beer idea and just dump some out or switch it with your husband. This saved my secret at a barbecue! I didn't want shots and everyone said, "Because you're pregnant, right". They were joking, but I held up my beer and said, "oh yeah, super pregnant" No one suspected a thing! ;)
  • Options
    I did the water in a beer bottle trick last time. After I grabbed a new bottle, just went to the bathroom and dumped it and filled it with water (this was at a house party). At the bar, I just make sure to get there a few minutes before everyone else is supposed to and talk to the bartender real quick! No one suspected anything....we didn't even tell immediate family until 10 weeks and they had no idea.
  • Options
    Or drink N/A beer. I've actually gotten shit from people for "drinking" while pregnant, until I point out it's N/A.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Have a "vodka/tonic" and just put Sprite in your cup and a nice old lime slice : )

• Options
    ecmbecmb member
    If it's a party at a house I bring my own "wine" spritzer or "sangria." I will mix nonalcoholic wine (fré or Ariel) with club soda and no one ever says anything (I'm a big wine drinker).

If you don't drink wine, I would pre mix cranberry or another juice with club soda and just tell them you made your own mixed cocktail.

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• Options
    Club soda with a lime. Looks just like a gin and tonic.

I love "mocktails" so if you can mix your own, have fun. Cranberry or pineapple juice with club soda is really yummy.
  • Options
    I went to dinner with friends recently and told my friends I had been craving an Arnold Palmer. I left and asked the waitress for my drink to just be an iced water and lemonade because I was pregnant. When she came back to the table she told my friends I had already ordered which looked very strange to them. I thought the waitress understood my plan.

If you can mix your own drink, you should be able to get away with having a few mocktails.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went to dinner with friends recently and told my friends I had been craving an Arnold Palmer. I left and asked the waitress for my drink to just be an iced water and lemonade because I was pregnant. When she came back to the table she told my friends I had already ordered which looked very strange to them. I thought the waitress understood my plan. If you can mix your own drink, you should be able to get away with having a few mocktails.
    ...Arnold Palmers don't have any alcohol....

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Say your on medication and with it you can't drink. Some medication you can't drink as it will make you really ill.
  • Options
    At the baby shower I went to last weekend, I just carried around a glass of wine, pretending to sip every now and then. Then, I casually wondered outside to check out the patio - and dumped half my glass in a spot out of site. Then I casually wondered back in and pretended to sip some more. Then I wondered into the bathroom and dumped almost all the rest down the sink. Then a waiter took my class from me and I grabbed a water and said "I'm just so thirsty right now! I need to guzzle some of this down." Nobody noticed that I never got another drink.
    Me 37, DH 37
    Married since 4/2004
    DS born 1/20/16, Graeme
  • Options
    ecmbecmb member
    magnumJ said:

I went to dinner with friends recently and told my friends I had been craving an Arnold Palmer. I left and asked the waitress for my drink to just be an iced water and lemonade because I was pregnant. When she came back to the table she told my friends I had already ordered which looked very strange to them. I thought the waitress understood my plan.

If you can mix your own drink, you should be able to get away with having a few mocktails.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• Options
    ajbookajbook member
    Yup this is what gave me away to work this week. Teacher outing ended at a brewery. They served beer, wine, whiskey on the rocks, or water. A few hours of water and they all knew. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • Options
    WL525 said:

I have a grad party this weekend for a family member.  I am usually always one that has a cocktail in hand at every party or event :)  My mom will be with me, she knows im pregnant and will have my back if I am asked why I'm not drinking....BUT - i am not ready to tell the extended family yet - im only 7 wks and i really want to wait until after next week's u/s to tell anyone.  SO - here's my question....do i bring my own 'red solo' cup, label it with my name, fill it with ginger ale?  OR use some diet excuse "on a cleanse, no alcohol for 21 days"...lol.  OR use a migraine excuse or something to that effect....

I know it's silly to even worry about, but like i said - im usually the first one to enjoy a cocktail, or i am the one behind the bar whipping them up.
    Thoughts?!  Thanks ladies... xo
    Just say your on new medications for something.
  • Options
    You're*
  • Options
    magnumJ said:

I can't recall the name the restaurant gave it but there was alcohol involved.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ErinkaErinka member
    There is some good non alcoholic beer out there. Also mock tails are fun!
  • Options
    I found non alcoholic wine online but not in the store near our house. Has anyone ever found it at a store?
    Married 7/20/13
    #1 MC August 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #2 MC November 2014 @ 5 Weeks
    #3 EDD 2.17.16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @borgahurst I found some non alcoholic wine at my local grocery store when I was pregnant with my daughter. I don't recall the brand but I do remember it was a Moscato and super yummy!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I found non alcoholic wine online but not in the store near our house. Has anyone ever found it at a store?

At least 2 of my local grocery stores carry the Fre brand, but different "flavors". One has it together at the end of the wine aisle and the other has it mixed in with the rest of the wine by variety. The Chardonnay tastes mostly like juice. The red (can't remember the exact kind) is a little more wine-like. They even have a sparkling variety which I bought but haven't tried yet.

Note, though, that just like N/A beer, it can still have .05% alcohol. Personally, it doesn't concern me, but just in case it would matter to you.
    Me 37, DH 37
    Married since 4/2004
    DS born 1/20/16, Graeme
  • Options
    Antibiotics have been my go-to excuse!
    My SIL & MIL were over my house.  SIL got a call that her house had sold and MIL wanted to celebrate with a glass of wine.  I used antibiotics as my excuse and they didn't question it.  DH & I weren't ready to tell anyone at that time.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic