February 2016 Moms
Options

Allergies are so bad- any suggestions?

Hi ladies! It's my first pregnancy and I'm almost six weeks. I have horrible pollen allergies and the pollen count is sky high. I've been trying to avoid OTC meds but after breaking out in hives and a few sleepless nights bc of allergy symptoms I had to break down and take some Zyrtec. I've read this should be safe for baby, but I'm still worried. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!!!

Re: Allergies are so bad- any suggestions?

• Options
    I have very bad allergies and I have been surviving on just a prescription nasal spray and eye drops... I dropped my pill which I have been on for the last 20 years (or some form of it) and its been ok.  As far as hives go.. keep yourself moisturized and you can use an ice pack on them for psychological relief
  • Options
    MamaBearVRGMamaBearVRG member
    edited June 2015
    @ACleanLife24 Thanks for the advice. My allergies are horrible all year round but are notoriously bad at this time of year. I have my first appt next week... Hoping my OB will have some other ideas as well! Thanks again. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of the versions of Claritin is also safe. I can't remember which one, so I'd check with your doc.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    amylee429amylee429 member
    edited June 2015
    I used Zyrtec daily during my last pregnancy. As long as it's not the D it should be fine. Any of the allergy meds you just want to make sure aren't the decongestant kind.

Edit for spelling
  • Options
    i feel your pain. when i was pregnant with my daughter i swore i'd never have another kid bc my allergies were that bad. it is awful. i don't have any answers for you, but wanted to let you know you are not alone!
  • Options
    I try and avoid meds as much as possible even when I'm not pregnant. I have been using Young Living Essential Oils with a lot of success for allergies and lots of other things. They are the purist oils you can get and have SO many uses. Let me know if you want more information on them!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. This is so helpful. Allergies are the worst and I just want my body to keep feeling strong! Hopefully with the neti pot, which I will start using, and a few other remedies, I will be fine. My main focus is to be healthy and stress free for baby! Thanks again for the suggestions and support!
  • Options
    @camilayne13 I would love to know more about the oils!
  • Options
    akk77akk77 member
    I have bad allergies & unfortunately my job requires me to be around them all the time. I just continue taking my allergy pills & that keeps the symptoms at bay. Like someone else mentioned, as long as they aren't the allergy pills with decongestants added then most are ok for pregnancy if needed.
    37, expecting #1 through IVF/w ICSI
    Due: Feb 13, 2016
    NIPT all clear & it's a Girl!

• Options
    @akk77 that's for the info! Today I bought an air purifier to put next to my bed! Hopefully that will help too! ;)
  • Options
    @camilayne13 I would love to know more about the oils!
    I have a diffuser and love me some menthol or eucalyptus when I need to be cleared out.  You can also put a dab of oil on the showerhead before you start and the heat will fill the shower!
  • Options
    wagvanwagvan member
    Glad to hear Zyrtec is okay for pregnancy! I take it year round but quit when I got pg. I will probably suffer one more week until my first appt with the ob and get her official okey dokey. But hopefully I can go back on it with no problems.
    Katie ~wife to my beloved, Scott for 25 years
    mama to SEVEN +1 wonderful Waggoners
    K~ 22yo, C~ 20yo, J~ 18yo, N~ 13yo, G~ 11yo, M~ 7, A~5 and baby due 2/12/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    wagvanwagvan member
    And be careful with EOs you aren't to use them at all first tri and only a few are okay properly diluted after that. Use as much caution and research them as much as you would prescription meds.
    Katie ~wife to my beloved, Scott for 25 years
    mama to SEVEN +1 wonderful Waggoners
    K~ 22yo, C~ 20yo, J~ 18yo, N~ 13yo, G~ 11yo, M~ 7, A~5 and baby due 2/12/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    wagvan said:
    And be careful with EOs you aren't to use them at all first tri and only a few are okay properly diluted after that. Use as much caution and research them as much as you would prescription meds.
    All diffusion of EOs is OK... this or for topical and ingestion
  • Options
    not to scare anyone but when i went to my OB appointment i asked him about allergy meds and he said that he's heard that you should try not to take them during the 1st trimester b/c there is an increased risk of miscarriage.  I've never heard this before, but I wanted to see if anyone else has.  I'm pretty sure i took Singular my whole first pregnancy, but I don't know if there have been more studies on it since then?  No idea.  I just thought i'd bring it up.
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• Options
    I asked my OB specifically at my appointment yesterday (I'm 8 weeks) because I have asthma and allergies, and managing my allergies is crucial to me not having asthma problems (especially since I can no longer take my Advair). 

Anyway, she was very clear that the over-the-counter Allegra I'm taking, as well as Benedryl and my prescription fluticasone (Flonase) are all considered to be safe during pregnancy. She said I could even take Benedryl as a sleep aid if I need it. 

While I didn't ask, my understanding is that the D versions (decongestant) of the big 3 (allegra, zyrtec and claritin) are what you should NOT take while pregnant.
    Me 37, DH 37
    Married since 4/2004
    DS born 1/20/16, Graeme
  • Options
    I have terrible allergies to begin with, the pregnancy has just magnified it x1000! My Doctor said Claritin and Zyrtec were ok for me to take, as long as it wasn't the D kind. She also said I could use Benadryl if it got terrible- sometimes I get what i call an allergy attack( running nose non stop and swollen, itchy eyes) So far, I've been sticking it out and not using anything. I sneeze 15-20 times per day. Hope everyone starts to feel a little better !
  • Options
    I've had terrible allergies also the past two weeks. I asked my husband to make pho for dinner today and took a hot shower afterwards and they have stopped. Not sure if that combo works but it seems to offer a break. Otherwise I was using a claritin everyday.
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Neti pot!!!!
  • Options
    My doc ensured me taking allergy medicine is totally fine when needed don't take daily though. Benedryl is what I took when my allergies were very bad.

Good luck, they will pass!!
  • Options
    Just to clarify, my doc said taking my daily Allegra was fine.
    Me 37, DH 37
    Married since 4/2004
    DS born 1/20/16, Graeme
  • Options
    I am having the same trouble. My doctor said take Claritin or Benadryl.
  • Options
    My doctor said I can take anything paediatric. Im battling alot more with sinus since the becoming pregnant
  • Options
    Zyrtec is amazing!
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker