Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Best and worst things about having a newborn

Having a baby is amazing! But, let’s be real...it’s tough being a new mom.

Here, some of our Bumpies share the best - and worst - parts about having a newborn.

What are your favorite and least favorite things about those crazy first few months?

Re: Best and worst things about having a newborn

• Options
    Nice article.
  • Options
    Great!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My little sweet pea arrived 4 weeks EARLY (March 14 instead of April 10!) which was stressful for many reasons, including a stay in the NICU and dashes to Babies R Us for important items we hadn't purchased/received yet. I was SLEEP DEPRIVED because the new schedule was INSANE! Breastfeeding was CHALLENGING to say the least. The first few weeks she was "easy." She's now 6 weeks and has acid reflux. She's on Zantac but I don't see it relieving her pain, which totally SUCKS for both of us, poor baby. Every time she's in pain, I feel it too. I swear I've never done anything as challenging as being a new mom! And I consider myself a very strong, independent, professional woman who was competent, confident and secure. First-time motherhood has a way of turning that upside down.
  • Options
    7:54AM
    So, to continue my comment, the WORST parts of having a newborn are sleep deprivation; the anxiety and pressure to breastfeed and pump and the guilt/shame/inadequacy if I choose to formula feed instead of breastfeed; not knowing why baby is crying; and finally, feeling terrible that she's in pain!
  • Options
    8:00AM
    The BEST parts of having a newborn for me are: bathtime (she loves it!) hearing her darling voice coo, and yes believe it or not, her siren cry when she's hungry (it sounds so funny!); her gorgeous face, her amazing and crazy hair, her precious scent, and gazing into eachother's eyes!

Her Daddy adores her and so do the grandparents, which is wonderful!

Also, realizing that acid reflux will probably clear up in time and that it's actually very normal and common for a pre-term baby. Whew!!!
  • Options

8:00AM
    The BEST parts of having a newborn for me are: bathtime (she loves it!) hearing her darling voice coo, and yes believe it or not, her siren cry when she's hungry (it sounds so funny!); her gorgeous face, her amazing and crazy hair, her precious scent, and gazing into eachother's eyes!

Her Daddy adores her and so do the grandparents, which is wonderful!

Also, realizing that acid reflux will probably clear up in time and that it's actually very normal and common for a pre-term baby. Whew!!!

Glad to hear she's doing well and you got through those mad dashes to Babies R Us!! 
  • Options
    My son has acid reflux pretty bad,he on ranitide.it's helping ,he's almost three months
  • Options
    mars8kmars8k member
    My baby is 3 days old today, she had pretty bad tummy ache yesterday as she has trouble passing the first black stool, she was crying none stop yesterday and for a second i was so frustrated i thought "what have i gotten myself into" then my sister checked her diaper and it was FULL, that's why she's been crying and i didn't think to check her diaper.. I felt so horrible i started crying, even now typing this i'm in tears.. I'm so lucky to have her but i wounder if she is lucky to have me for a mother.. That's the the worst thing about having a newborn, feeling like you're not good enough..
  • Options
    I think the exact answer to this question has been summarized in this INCREDIBLY EMOTIONAL article..
    prepare the tissues ladies...
  • Options
    xsimixxsimix member
    I don't mind the sleep deprivation, since I hadn't slept much during pregnancy in any case so loads of practice before hand :P I've got to say I never eat a hot meal, something always happens where I have to make sure baby is Ok before I can start eating and by the time I'm done its cold LOL then you are no longer you because it's you and your baby or more like your BABY and you, it's like you disappear and that feels lonely at times. One thing I hate is being bound to the house, I can't wait when she is ready to be able to go out in public Like groceries or restaurants!! It's a little depressing... Right now my only company is the TV :(
  • Options
    xsimix said:

I don't mind the sleep deprivation, since I hadn't slept much during pregnancy in any case so loads of practice before hand :P I've got to say I never eat a hot meal, something always happens where I have to make sure baby is Ok before I can start eating and by the time I'm done its cold LOL then you are no longer you because it's you and your baby or more like your BABY and you, it's like you disappear and that feels lonely at times. One thing I hate is being bound to the house, I can't wait when she is ready to be able to go out in public Like groceries or restaurants!! It's a little depressing... Right now my only company is the TV :(

You're doing a great job, mama! I hope there is a delicious meal and some time spent outside in your future :) 
  • Options
    I feel exactly like xsimix! Everything she said may as well have been my own words. Im trying to be strong. This is the most crazy addictive love affair ever. My baby girl makes breaks my heart when she cries. I feel insane and in love all at the same time. I have moments of feeling like "what did I get myself into" and at the same time I wouldn't change a single moment. My life is currently quite a contradiction of emotions! I pray this gets easier!
  • Options
    The best thing about having a newborn is the cuddles, breastfeeding and that bond between you and your baby, the worst thing is colic and reflux
  • Options
    The best things are cuddle time, the smiles, and just looking at him. The not so fun part is the sleep deprivation.
  • Options
    The best things: the snuggles, watching her discover new things every day, the first REAL SMILE.
    The worst things: never eating a hot meal, when she's crying and I can't figure out why, and in the VERY beginning, trying with all my might to take her for a walk on nice days and after all the poopy diaper changes, feedings, and whatever else happens, oh hey it's 730 at night and freezing cold outside and momma is wiped out.
  • Options
    caseheela said:
    The best things: the snuggles, watching her discover new things every day, the first REAL SMILE. The worst things: never eating a hot meal, when she's crying and I can't figure out why, and in the VERY beginning, trying with all my might to take her for a walk on nice days and after all the poopy diaper changes, feedings, and whatever else happens, oh hey it's 730 at night and freezing cold outside and momma is wiped out.
    That first real smile sounds awesome!! Hopefully there are more outside walks with her in your future this summer :) 
  • Options
    Best things for me: cuddles, her smile and it keeps me happy for everything what she do

The only worst thing is sleepless nights.