July 2015 Moms

Silent Labor

Anyone heard of this or experienced it in previous pregnancies? Read about it and sounds almost too good to be true, but scary at the same time since you might not know when baby is coming!

Re: Silent Labor

• I have never heard of it , but it would be great other then what u said about not being aware of labor and impending birth
  • Exactly! Was reading about women who were 7cm and 100% effaced and only had hardening of their stomachs and no contractions. Just found out they had to rush to l&d during a dr check up. Crazy! Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • This is seriously my number 1 fear! A friend of a friend had this. She did feel contractions but they were so mild she thought she was in very early labor or that they might even be Braxton hicks. She ended up delivering her baby by herself on her bathroom floor.
  • This is seriously my number 1 fear! A friend of a friend had this. She did feel contractions but they were so mild she thought she was in very early labor or that they might even be Braxton hicks. She ended up delivering her baby by herself on her bathroom floor.
    OMG that's so crazy!  I never heard of silent labor!
  • VTomanVToman member
    I am afraid of this. I think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain anyway, and I'm afraid that the contractions aren't gonna feel much different than what BH feels like.
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    I didn't feel any of my contractions that got me to 5cm and 100% effaced with DS1. I went in to be induced and my OB was surprised as I was barely 3cm a couple of days before.

That said, when she broke my water, I felt every bit of those! I have felt contractions this time around though and I know they're being productive.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Silent labor sounds ideal to me!  I wouldn't mind at all giving birth to my LO at home.
  • Labor pains do feel exactly like BH and its very hard to tell the difference...STM and i had no idea i was in labor with my first until the contractions started coming every min lol...i highly recommend just timing them...the one time i didnt time them was the time i was actually n labor...n my defense i had been having BH the WHOLE 3rd trimester and being a FTM i was timing everything harassing the doc...that day i had given up, i was like this baby has no intention on coming lol
  • With my first I had no idea I was in labor...I just thought it was BH, luckily at the time I lived 5 minutes from the hospital. When I got there I was almost at 7 cm. My only sign that I was in labor was that I had started to lose my mucus plug.
  • When I went to the dr last week she was surprised I haven't felt much on Bh or contractions since she checked me and I was 3cm and 80%effaced. She said my cervix was very soft and changed drastically from my previous week appointment. Still not feeling anything this week other than noticing my stomach gets rock hard often? :/ kinda strange. Guess I will ask her about it more at my apt this Wed!
  • Should you feel BH happening? My stomach just gets rock hard but if I wasn't touching it I would have never known
  • mnj05mnj05 member

Should you feel BH happening? My stomach just gets rock hard but if I wasn't touching it I would have never known

BH aren't always felt so you may not know it. Most of the time, mine are just like yours. I have been having period like cramps (sometimes pretty strong) every evening for a little over a month now. My doctor considers those contractions and not just BH.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Labor pains do feel exactly like BH and its very hard to tell the difference...STM and i had no idea i was in labor with my first until the contractions started coming every min lol...i highly recommend just timing them...the one time i didnt time them was the time i was actually n labor...n my defense i had been having BH the WHOLE 3rd trimester and being a FTM i was timing everything harassing the doc...that day i had given up, i was like this baby has no intention on coming lol

This is totally me. I have an irritable uterus and I've been having regular contractions for months! I know I'm going to be confused when I go into labor. Baby's breech so I really hope I don't give birth at home!
  • nalise88nalise88 member
    edited June 2015
    My mom had a history of silent labor and I have a decent threshold for pain. Hope I notice the signs. I basically have just been getting rock hard stomach and rarely any pain besides back aches
  • With my 1st I didn't know I was in laborr I was in pain this (but I have a high tolerance for pain) by the time I got to the hospital it was time to push! I could've gave birth in the lobby... I don't wanna take that risk again so once I feel pain I can tolerate I'm still going to l&d
  • My BH contractions felt NOTHING like actual contractions. There was a huge difference! I had time able contractions on and off for 2 weeks before going into full blown labor and when I went into labor the contractions were so intense they woke me up in the middle of the night, were 4 minutes apart for over an hour and changed my cervix in 2 hours from a 2-3.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had this with my first child I believe. I had consistent contractions that got me from 0 to 4 cm during about a 24 hour span of time. I believe I may be having silently labor now as well with baby 3. I have hadn’t membranes stripped and a foley bulb that hasn’t gotten me to over 5 cm. No pain other then pressure and strong Braxton Hicks. I’ve been contracting regularly for the last few hours with a lot of pressure and strong Braxton-Hicks. They are getting closer together but still are over 10 min apart so we shall see!