January 2016 Moms
Options

Listeria/Sandwiches

ok so I haven't been able to really eat in about 3 weeks but one thing I can eat is sandwiches with cold deli meat. I know that is on the list of NOT TO EAT but right now I have to eat what I can! Anyone have children before and ate deli sandwiches and everything was ok?

Re: Listeria/Sandwiches

• Options
    Yes. I have eaten sandwiches with my two previous children and currently with this one. Would I eat a sandwich that had been sitting at a gas station? No but most legitimate restaurants and grocery stores I consider fine.
    Like PP said produce is usually the cause of listeria outbreaks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I ate deli meat during my last pregnancy and my son is big and healthy, no problems at all. I am enjoying my sandwiches this time too.
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • Options
    What I read is that the likelihood is very very low that you'll actually get listeria from your deli meat. However the risks if you did eat tainted meat can be devastating. I've had it once and I nuked the meat in the microwave before adding it to the sandwich. To me it's not worth the risk.

• Options
    I ate them periodically last pregnancy and with this one I've been eating deli meat sandwiches multiple times a week. You could also just heat the meat up first too as a bit of a safer option?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    I have heard of women having perfectly healthy babies after eating sandwiches. One woman I just talked to didn't even know that was a thing. I heat up my lunch meat in the microwave for about 20 seconds...I think you only have to do 10 but then the meat melts the cheese. Haha
  • Options
    I heard if you're going to have it then you should microwave it at least.
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

Due date 1/16/16 with our twins!
  • Options
    SummerOH said:

As other ladies said, you're far more likely to get it from produce than deli meat.  But we're not advised to not eat fruits and veggies, are we?  The best way to protect yourself from listeria is to wash all produce well. 

I'd cut a b if I couldn't have Jimmy John's for 9 months!!

That's the one sandwich I had. I love me some Turkey Tom
  • Options
    6240662406 member
    I ate Subway throughout my first pregnancy and she's a sassy 4-year old now. I've eaten Jimmy John's numerous times with this pregnancy. My doctor was fine with me eating deli sandwiches.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options
    I've been avoiding deli meats but eating tons of peaches - rethinking that after all of these posts! What does microwaved deli meat taste like out if curiosity?
  • Options
    I've been avoiding deli meats but eating tons of peaches - rethinking that after all of these posts! What does microwaved deli meat taste like out if curiosity?
  • Options
    Oops didn't mean to post twice! I guess I really do want to know!
  • Options
    sck601sck601 member
    I eat a few sandwiches a week. I did with my first pregnancy too. Like PPsaid, your chance of getting it in lunch meat is low. If you're concerned, just heat the meat

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Yes, numerous times with my first and he's a very happy healthy 2 yo.

I had a turkey club for lunch. Team meat!
  • Options
    I didn't even know for awhile. It wasn't in the list I was given.
  • Options
    My doc told me that in 35 years he has never had a case of listeria in a patient. I've only had one sandwich, but it was glorious!
  • Options
    @ChrissyD1203 exactly the thought isn't very appealing to me!
  • Options
    I have eaten lunch meat with both of my previous pregnancies and now this one. My doctor doesn't advise against it. I had a yummy delicious turkey sandwich just last night...mmmmmm!
  • Options
    I love all this team meat talk! Haha! I made turkey Phillies for dinner tonight, crisp up that deli meat in a pan (and add some soy sauce because I am craving all of the salt) and yum! Someone at work had Jimmy Johns last week and I wanted to steal her sandwich.
  • Options
    EC2016EC2016 member
    I've been told Publix sells low nitrate lunch meat. I'll go with that and pretend it's a little healthier.
  • Options
    SovvySovvy member
    If you're going to avoid deli meat you may as well avoid all precut fruit, ice cream, most packaged fruit sold in stores, leafy greens. The risk is minimal, enjoy the sandwich!!

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • Options
    I'm definitely getting a sub for lunch now. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    #eathemeat

• Options
    @SummerOH I just ate a massive amount of Jimmy Johns yesterday... it was heavenly!
  • Options
    Are we really having the lunch meat debate again? Eat the sandwich if it is from a legit reataurant/store and is fresh, and/or heat the meat for 30 sec in the microwave. Do not eat from a sketchy place or if it's been sitting out.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I had Jersey Mikes yesterday. And it was sooooooo good.
  • Options
    Don't worry about lunch meat. My doc says if it's meant to be served cold, eat it cold. I've had countless Jimmy John's subs through each pregnancy (11 weeks in with 3rd baby) and my two kiddos are perfectly healthy. Eat what you can! :)
  • Options
    Man I wanted a jimmy johns sub so bad the other day, but the tuna is my favorite. Anybody know if that one is acceptable as well? I haven't had any tuna since I found out, but I know a little bit is ok.
  • Options
    shaybe90 said:

Man I wanted a jimmy johns sub so bad the other day, but the tuna is my favorite. Anybody know if that one is acceptable as well? I haven't had any tuna since I found out, but I know a little bit is ok.

6 oz per week of albacore or chunk light (basically, canned tuna, or anything you'd find in tuna salad) is fine. Avoid yellow tail.

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    bananers said:

Anyone else read this and immediately start craving a sandwich? Mmmmm... listeria sandwiches...

I want ALL THE SANDWICHES IN MY BELLY!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think not eating deli meat is a joke. There hasn't been a publicized case of listeria in deli meat since the 80's. The last big cases were peaches, ice cream, hummus, cantaloupe and spinach. I've never had a dr tell me not to eat those
  • Options
    Thank god I have a turkey sandwich for lunch! I want to eat it right now!!!
  • Options
    Listeria comes from food that isn't handled properly, not specifically lunch meat. Peaches, lettuce, spinach, cantaloupe, etc. I wouldn't buy a deli sandwich from the trunk of some creepy guys car, but I wouldn't think twice about getting lunch from my favorite sandwich shop.
  • Options
    I'm having Potbelly for lunch and am super excited. Like a PP said, give me all of the sandwiches. ALL OF THEM!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    Eat all the foods.  All of them.  Except from the gas station.  Don't eat those foods.
    Until you have your baby. Then the food at Turkey Hill is actually pretty good.