July 2015 Moms
Options

Sitzbath question

I've never heard of a Sitzbath till here recently. Dumb question, does it use the water from the toilet, or does it not go down that deep and you put fresh clean water in it? I don't want to soak my hiney in toilet water. Just seems so weird, but I hear people swear by them! Can someone explain how they work.

Re: Sitzbath question

• Options
    Bugs1718Bugs1718 member
    edited June 2015
    You just fill your bath tub up with warm water that goes up to your hips. Definitely nothing about toilet water is involved. You can Google it as well but a sitz bath is also called a hip bath for that reason.
  • Options
    Just your bath water with Epsom salt.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh so you don't have to be on a toilet to do it! That's great!!!
  • Options
    My dads a doc and he swears by them. Just a bath with enough water to cover your private bits. I usually just fill the tub because I get cold but nothing is better for healing than soaking in water. Only for 20 mins or so is needed.
  • Options
    My hospital gives out these little tubs that you put over the toilet and set down in the water, (I'm guessing this is what you've heard about?) ......you'll be relieved to know that it doesn't use toilet water! I , myself wouldn't use it at the hospital because I didn't want to set it on the hospital toilet and then take it home to mine. But that's just me. And yes you can just use your bath tub as well.
  • Options
    Lol and no the little tub does not touch the toilet water at all. I thought I might need to describe that better!
  • Options
    steebysteeby member
    I'm concerned about the sitz bath causing an infection... does anyone have any info on this? like maybe if the bathtub isn't cleaned thorough enough or since my feet will be in the same water as my private bits...??? I have all these herbal concoctions that people have shared with me but I'm also afraid of random skin allergies to them... anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!
  • Options
    I am so relieved toilet water is not involved!!!! Couldn't find that tidbit out on Google, so thought I'd ask here. I mean it seemed unsanitary and weird, but it was confusing since this was referred to as a bath on a toilet LOL!

I found a recipe that calls for:
    Epsom salt
    Baking soda
    Witch hazel
    Olive oil
    Lavender oil
    Chamomile oil

Are all of those oils necessary? Can I just use Epsom, baking soda & witch hazel?
  • Options
    @leelee076 it would be referred to as a a bath on a toilet because there is actually a small tub you can buy that just your bottom goes into. @steeby this would also prevent any contamination from other body parts.
  • Options
    grlplzgrlplz member
    steeby said:

I'm concerned about the sitz bath causing an infection... does anyone have any info on this? like maybe if the bathtub isn't cleaned thorough enough or since my feet will be in the same water as my private bits...??? I have all these herbal concoctions that people have shared with me but I'm also afraid of random skin allergies to them... anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!

How would it increase your odds of an infection anymore than a regular bath would?
  • Options
    They have sits baths that do sit on your toilette I bought one and it comes with a bag that you fill with water to spray on your bottom area. No toilette water is necessary, it makes it easy especially if you will have trouble sitting down in a bath tub or if you want to avoid running a bath each time you need to use the bathroom.
  • Options
    steeby said:

If you are concerned about this just buy a plastic sitz bath from your local pharmacy or grocery store.
  • Options

I am so relieved toilet water is not involved!!!! Couldn't find that tidbit out on Google, so thought I'd ask here. I mean it seemed unsanitary and weird, but it was confusing since this was referred to as a bath on a toilet LOL!

I found a recipe that calls for:
    Epsom salt
    Baking soda
    Witch hazel
    Olive oil
    Lavender oil
    Chamomile oil

Are all of those oils necessary? Can I just use Epsom, baking soda & witch hazel?

I just used Epsom salt and witch hazel last time. The squirt bottle the hospital gave me was a life saver along with witch hazel pads and this numbing antibiotic first aid spray, I forgot the name but I bought a can in advance.
  • Options
    Thanks @butterfly061583 !!!! Sounds good! I'm making my postpartum care shopping list.
  • Options

Thanks @butterfly061583 !!!! Sounds good! I'm making my postpartum care shopping list.

I been slowly working on mine for a little bit. (Ibuprofen, pads, stool softener) ect. List is pretty long for a lot of things. I live in a two story house, so I'm also stocking up on snacks, and entertainment things and baby stuff to stay upstairs for a couple days when I get home. (C section)
  • Options
    steebysteeby member

grlplz I was thinking bath vs. shower, not reg bath vs. sitzbath. I love baths and i've been avoiding them since pregnancy.