April 2014 Moms
Options

Naps

How is everyone's LO napping? Mine had always been a horrible napper usually she takes two 1/2 hour naps a day every once in a while they are a little longer like an hour. She was in daycare and I think it just wasn't quiet enough there for her to really get a good nap in. I am going to be staying home with her now and I really want her to get a better schedule going so she doesn't get so cranky by the end if the day. At home we use white noise and I am thinking about getting room darkening shade. Any other tips or are some kids just not good nappers.

Re: Naps

• Options
    kmos816kmos816 member
    On the weekends C now takes 1 nap in the afternoon around 12:30. She'll nap for 1-2 hours. We use white noise and room darkening curtains.
    At daycare she takes one nap ranging from 30 minutes-2 hours. She tends to nap longer when it is a rainy day; when it's sunny out the other kids don't seem to want to nap which keeps C up too! (They have quiet time from 12:30-2:30)
    Some kids are definetly better ballets than others
  • Options
    We also have to use the room darkening shades. She usually takes 2 naps each day, each nap lasting 1.5 hours. She has started skipping the second nap here and there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are still on 2 naps a day. The first one is 1.5-2 hours and the second is an hour. We got darkening shades that I think helped a lot. I was holding her for a while but we eventually did the CIO which worked well for us.
  • Options
    We used to have super crappy naps, but then he started doing 1-1.5 hours in the morning pretty reliably and then another 1-1.5 in the afternoon. But that one is more hit and miss. Like today, for example, he didn't do the afternoon nap. I want to move to one nap around 12:30, but he is just seriously fading about 3 hours after he wakes. I can hold him off until 10, but that's about as far as I can push it. :(
  • Options
    smushismushi member
    J is like a nap super hero and always has been.  At daycare his naps sucked, but at home, even now, we get two solid 2 hour naps a day, if we don't mess his schedule up too badly.  At daycare, they had backed off to just one nap a day, and he was a mess by the end of the day.  Thankfully, it's summer and I'll be home to make sure he gets the sleep he wants.  

He wakes at 6am, naps by 8am til 10am, then plays til 1ish and naps for another two hours, then goes to sleep between 7pm and 8pm.  He sleeps through the night.
  • Options
    @smushi come work that magic at my house please!!
  • Options
    LO doesn't nap well at daycare; on a really good day he'll sleep half an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. There have been a few times I've picked him up and he's only slept half an hour the whole day.

On the weekends he will often sleep for two hours for each nap. We start the bedtime routine at 6:30pm and he sleeps through the night to 6:30am.

I bought a black towel for $12 and it's the perfect room darkening blind!
  • Options
    smushismushi member
    @smushi come work that magic at my house please!!
    Lol no magic here!  Just LO's personality.  DH and I joke that if we have another, it'll come out wearing black and dark eye liner, and never sleep!
  • Options

We used to have super crappy naps, but then he started doing 1-1.5 hours in the morning pretty reliably and then another 1-1.5 in the afternoon. But that one is more hit and miss. Like today, for example, he didn't do the afternoon nap. I want to move to one nap around 12:30, but he is just seriously fading about 3 hours after he wakes. I can hold him off until 10, but that's about as far as I can push it. :(

I know I'm a little late to the party! I'm still visiting my parents. @Sporty1216 - this is my LO exactly. The afternoon nap has been so frustrating lately. I've been wondering about moving to one nap, but I find the sweet spot is really 9:30 for the morning nap and if I push it back much past 10 it really backfires. I have no idea what to do.
  • Options
    Still right there with you! Today he took an hour long nap starting at 9 (up for the day at 5:45) and then I actually had to wake him up at 4:30 from a nap he started at 2! What the heck?! Totally unpredictable. And then he wouldn't fall asleep until just before 9. Who knows. Maybe someday all this sleep stuff gets easier?
  • Options
    I think it gets easier when they're in high school and decide naps are fun. :D
  • Options
    I miss the 2 naps thing... DD has been down to 1 nap for awhile now. But during that nap she usually sleeps 2-3 hours which is nice. Unfortunately it means I have to choose between staying awake and doing stuff I cant do with her awake, or napping with her...and of course I always want to nap with her lol.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Options
    Sometimes I look forward to one nap. Two seems so limiting sometimes. In sure once she is I will miss it though
  • Options
    My kids are not long nappers. Dd is down to one nap after lunch and only sleeps between 60-90 minutes. She gets up by 6am so it makes for kind of long days for her sometimes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're still at 2 naps too. After about 3 hours of awake time, he is totally ready to sleep. His nighttime sleep has shortened (usu about 9 hours), but has become straight through. Not sure how to account for the changes, but I'm liking them! I will be glad for one long nap though.
  • Options
    We're still at 2 naps and since I'm off for the summer, I LOVE it!!! I get so much done during those naps! DH suggested we start transitioning to 1 nap, I told him he was crazy to try to start it now when things are so good!!!! We will probably start the transition at the beginning of August tho since that is what the daycare schedule is... I know I will miss these 2 nap days as soon as they are gone!
  • Options
    smushismushi member
    We just got back from the beach, and naps were hard to come by.  This morning, back at home, he was ready for his 8 am nap, (til 10!) and now he's fighting an afternoon nap with daddy, but I see him losing the battle on the monitor.  We'll see if he naps twice a day for me this week.