Multiples

Di/Di Twins Full Term?

Hey everyone I am 12 weeks with Di/Di twins just had my 12 week ultra sound and everything looks great both growing right on track and looking good so far. Who has an experience with going full term with Twins? The doctor said it is a possibly but more likely 37 weeks! I would like to go as close to full term as I possibly can. Just wanted to see how many of you out there went all the way!!!

Re: Di/Di Twins Full Term?

• I was told they won't let me go past 38 weeks. I'm fine with that. Twins develop to full term earlier than a singleton.
  • I think generally most OBs want to deliver healthy di/di twins around 38 weeks. They wont be equivalent of 40 weeks (they don't develop faster). They'll be healthy 38 weekers. Generally though, even with a healthy di/di pregnancy, they think 38 weeks is a good time to get them out. I think things like pre-E increases potentially the longer you go after 38 weeks - though plenty of woman go to 40 weeks with di/di twins.

I had a c/s due to breech position at 38 weeks exactly. I was 4cm almost 5 cm dialted the morning I went in for my c/s. I probably would have started active labor not long after that. I had been experiencing prodormal labor for about 3 weeks leading up to my c/s.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I went up until my csection date at 38+1 weeks with my di/di twins. I probably would have made it longer but my dr didn't want me to go much past 38 weeks. I know a few ladies whose drs let them go as far as they could (42 weeks for one of them!) and she ended up having lots of complications and had to have an emergency csection and her twins were in the nicu. So sometimes going much past 38 or 39 isn't very good for the twins since they can get too crowded or distressed. Every pregnancy is different though.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I made it to one day shy of 39 weeks. That was my scheduled C-section. I probably would have made it past 40 weeks because I wasn't having any contractions or anything. Both babies were a healthy 7 pounds even.
  • We made it to 37+2 weeks and babies showed zero signs of stress during pregnancy or labor, had a natural vaginal birth, they roomed with us and we all left the hospital 24 hours later. Don't stress too much about that 40 week mark, they can be strong before then too.
  • I was induced at 38+3 weeks with my twin girls. I probably would have made it to 40 weeks. Those two had no desire to come out. Fortunately, I was able to deliver them vaginally. They were both in perfect health and stayed with us from the moment they were born. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!!! Gives me hope to be able to go far!!!
  • My c-section is scheduled for 38w1d.  My OB doesn't like twin pregnancies to go past 38 weeks.  I'm going 1 day after so my OB can delivery my girls.  I'm currently 35w1d so 3 weeks to go for me!  woohoo!
    Me 35, DH 36
    TTC summer 2008
    Diagnose me. DOR, DH perfect
    IUI # 1 6/2010, BFN
    IUI # 2 8/2010, BFN
    IVF # 1 10/2010 Canceled poor response
    IVF 1.2 12/2010 BFP! mc 6 weeks 2 days
    Mental health break for 10 months
    IVF # 2 10/2011 BFN
    IVF # 3 5/2012 BFP! 10 eggs retrieved (best ever)
    7 fertilized transferred 3
    Beta #1 14dpo - 72, Beta #2 17dpo 145 Beta 3 20dpo 521
    First u/s June 15 saw HB 126 bpm missed m/c 7/5/12 10 weeks D&C 7/6/12
    IVF#4 ER 9/30 ET 10/3 Beta 10/16 BFFN. IVF #5 final with o/e. ER 1/21 only 1 retrieved, hoping my lonestar is the one. Beta #1 2/6/13 = 209.... please let this be it! Keep growing lonestar! Beta #2 2/8/13 - 586! , Beta #3 2/10/13 = 1898. First u/s perfect little heart beat at 116 bpm. Measure 6 weeks 1 day. EDD 10/14/13
    3/4/13 measuring right on track beautiful heartbeat 171 bpm, graduated from RE to OB... bittersweet.
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome! Its a girl! 

Maggie Grace is here!  10/5/13... 8lbs 6 ounces of pure joy!

TTC#2  No birth control since DD was born.  Getting ready to jump back in the saddle.  Weaning this month. RE
    appt scheduled 5/8.   Here we go again!

IFV# 6.  10/27  6 retrieved 4 mature 3 fertilized.  2 made it to 3dt 10/30. 1"very pretty 8 cell" and 1 6 cell.  Beta
    11/13.   Please stick embies!!!!  We love you so much already! 11/12/14  POAS, BFP... beta tomorrow!
    11/13 beta #1  924!!!  2nd bet 11/15 1906, one more on 11/17 3rd & final beta 3430.  First u/s 12/5, 7w4d, 2 heartbeats,
    both measuring right on track....2nd u/s... all is well... both beans measuring right on track... released from RE... first
    appointment with MFM 1/5.  Looks like this is really happening!

• My csection is scheduled for 37+5 .... One week to go!! My doctor also doesn't like going past 38 weeks. At this point I have no signs of labor and am not dilated at all.
    IVF #1 September 2014 - Transferred one 5-day blast : BFN
    FET #1 October 2014 - Transferred two 5-day blasts: BFP!!
    << Due July 10, 2015 with our first baby! >>

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Did they tell you why they dont like going past 38 week??
  • My doc doesn't like going past 38 weeks either. I'm sure it has something to do with higher risk for complications such as high BP, fetal distress & just overall lack of space.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • yani04yani04 member
    My doctor doesn't want me to go past 38 weeks. I had a csection schedule for 37+1 but my girls decided to both turn head down and we are schedule for an induction that day. I am 34+6 and honestly can't wait.
  • jboyddr3423jboyddr3423 member
    edited June 2015
    I was told that after 38 weeks the chance of the placentas' beginning to breakdown increases, I went into labor at 36+6 and I delivered vaginally even with the second baby being breech. I had two healthy baby girls with zero time in the nicu. One was 6.6 and the other was 6.2.
  • wow that are nice size twins!!! I am hoping for at least 5lbs each!

• I went at 37 exactly with my scheduled c/s with no complications or NICU time for either. The placenta's I believe do start to deteriorate earlier than with a twin pregnancy. 38 weeks is typically considered full term for twins. Good luck!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I was scheduled for 38+1, but due to swelling and pre-e went for the section at 37+1. Babies were 5lb 6 ounces and 6lbs 6 ounces. No complications or NICU.

Good luck!
    **Signature Warning**

Dx PCOS August 2012
    Clomid x4 = BFN
    Femara+Follistim IUIs x 6 = 3 BFN, 2 C/P, 1 early miscarriage
    IVF June 2014- 43 R, 34 M, 24 F, 12 blasts frozen and severe OHSS
    FET September 12, 2014!
    Beta #1 12dp5dt- 724
    Beta #2 14dp5dt- 1631
    Beta #3 20dp5dt- 12,813
    Pending EDD at first OB appointment 11/6. Grow babies grow!

"I might have to wait. I'll never give up. I guess it's half timing, and the other half's luck. 
    Wherever you are, whenever it's right, you'll come out of nowhere and into my life." ~ Michael Buble

• My OB said that she wouldn't let me go past 38 weeks. We scheduled my c-section for 37w5d (breech Baby A) and I went into labor on my own at 37w1d. I delivered in the morning of 37w2d. Both babies were healthy weights (A was 7lbs 12 oz & 20.5", B was 6lbs 5 oz & 19.5") and neither needed NICU time. Both came home with me 4 days later.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • I tried for a induction in my 37th week, but after 2.5 days, there really wasn't any progress. So, at 37w6d, I had a C section. It may have happened that way anyway - Baby B ended up bigger than A. My di di boys were 7lbs 9oz and 8lbs 4oz. Happy and healthy. Good luck to you!
  • I'm currently 36 weeks 5 days, I had hopes to go to 40 weeks, and doctors said I just might, but where I am now and how much I hurt and how difficult it has been i can't wait to schedule my induction!
  • LAO12LAO12 member
    Currently 37w1d with di/di girls. Still preggo. I have been 2cm and 80% for 3 weeks. No change, no indication these girls are coming soon. I have my C scheduled for 38w and have a feeling they will wait until then.
    *** Siggy warning ***

DH: 31 normal
    Me: 31 tubal disease
    Married 2011
    TTC 2012
    Clomid x 2 with OBGYN: BFN
    IF testing 2013: blocked left tube, low AMH
    March 2014: Ectopic rupture, emergency surgery and D&C.  Absent left tube and now closed right tube
    October 2014: IVF with ICSI #1 - BFP (17r/14icsi/12f - 2ET 10/27; 7 frosties; Nov7 beta #1= 806; Nov10 beta #2= 2738; TWINS!!!!!  EDD late June/early July 2015)

• My twins were born at 40w0d.  6lbs 13 oz, 6lbs 9oz.  No complications and we all went home together 27 hours after delivery.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• kr1814kr1814 member
    i was 37 weeks 6 days,,went into labor naturally and had a vaginal delivery 
  • My doctor says that with di/di twins, placental degradation isn't much of a factor. As long as you're getting semi-regular ultrasounds and are otherwise experiencing a complication-free pregnancy, there's really no reason why you can't go to 40 weeks. 

40 weeks was my goal. My babies decided they were ready to arrive at 38 weeks 5 days.

• I had my twin girls at 38 weeks 6 days and that was only because I had a scheduled c- section due to them being breech. I could've gone longer. My girls were 6 lbs and 7 lbs 9 oz.
  • I'm 32 weeks with my Di/Di boys. My doctor scheduled my induction for 38 weeks. With 6 weeks left, I'm feeling pretty dang good, so for now I don't see any reason why I won't make it to 38 weeks!
  • Went and saw my OB yesterday and got an ultra sound found out I am having 2 girls! she said we can see how things go but she will schedule me a c section at 38 weeks and she sees no reason I wiill go early at this point or even be on bed rest!
  • rue:Drue:D member
    My NP told me yesterday that she had a friend who carried twins to 41w and they each weighed around 9 lbs at birth! So it's entirely possible to go full term, although it doesn't seem to be the norm. The NP told me that basically sometimes the uterus decides it just can't stretch anymore and gives up. ;)