April 2015 Moms
Options

When to start tummy time

hello my baby is just over 2 months old and I've started putting him on his tummy for two or three minutes a day here and there and have tried sitting him up to get him off his back when he is awake but when should I really start worrying about his tummy time / flat head issues ??

Re: When to start tummy time

• Options
    We were told in the hospital to start tummy time as soon as we go home from the hospital. I've read other books that have said to start before 2 weeks. We started as soon as his umbilical cord fell off and his circumcision healed. If your baby is 2 months I would start now as soon as possible. A friend of mine did no tummy time until 2.5/3 months and her baby (4 months now) has no head control whatsoever.
  • Options
    I've been trying to give her tummy time on a playmat we got since she got home. She's two months now and I've seen a huge difference.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    niespniesp member
    My sons doctor said at our 4 week appointment 20 minutes a day
  • Options
    We did tummy time immediately since the week he came home from the hospital. He can hold his head up without assistance for 5+ minutes when we hold him and when he's on our chest; he's 2 months old tomorrow. We shared pictures and everyone comments how strong he is!
  • Options
    The doctor said that she could start having actual tummy time 2-3 times a day for 10-15 at 4 weeks. She just turned 2 months today and we only were doing tummy time once a day and she has excellent head control. About the only time she needs head support is when she's excessively tired. Each child is different based on their muscle mass and body composition as well as diet and interest in things going on around them (the more they turn their head, the stronger the neck muscles get).
  • Options
    Thanks everyone ! My son has a tendency to lay face flat on the ground ... I'm getting kinda worried so I'll put him down for more time starting today
  • Options
    My doctor told us not to do tummy time until 2 months. I started earlier though. But tummy time can be done different ways. We do tons of time with him on our chest and he will lift his head to look at us. We also put him on his mat and get down on our tummy also. We dont time it, we just let him stay there until he starts to get fussy.
  • Options
    My LO absolutely hates tummy time! Whenever we try she just screams her lungs out. She is so upset she won't even try to lift her head or anything and just lays there like a lump, we have tried the boppy, toys, etc. It makes me feel like it's not even helpful. Any suggestions?? She has great head control when I hold her up on my shoulder, so I'm not too concerned, but I don't want her to be delayed in rolling over, crawling, etc.
  • Options
    niespniesp member
    @TracyB4889 we also started with time on our chests like @smilesallaround it seemed to help a lot because it was on us. Now our son will even almost fall asleep during tummy time! We gave to flip him when he does it and that makes him more angry!
  • Options
    niespniesp member
    @TracyB4889 we also started with time on our chests like @smilesallaround it seemed to help a lot because it was on us. Now our son will even almost fall asleep during tummy time! We gave to flip him when he does it and that makes him more angry!
  • Options
    We started shortly after coming home. She's 6 weeks and people say she's strong and she will hold her head up for a little bit by herself so I guess it's been working lol. But it takes some effort to get her interested in it, she will just lay face into the ground for a minute or so then she gives in lol
  • Options

My LO absolutely hates tummy time! Whenever we try she just screams her lungs out. She is so upset she won't even try to lift her head or anything and just lays there like a lump, we have tried the boppy, toys, etc. It makes me feel like it's not even helpful. Any suggestions?? She has great head control when I hold her up on my shoulder, so I'm not too concerned, but I don't want her to be delayed in rolling over, crawling, etc.

My first son was like this. Also hated it while he was on us. We didn't push it and he could hold his head up by 3 months. Dr told me not to worry as long as you feel him trying to control it etc