High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Pregnant diabetics on insulin pump

where are you putting infusion sets? I stopped my stomach since it became rather hard. Doing thighs now but the tubing is not long enough to reach my bra, where I clip pump. Aggravating. Ideas?

Re: Pregnant diabetics on insulin pump

• Options
    Have you ever tried your arms? What infusions sets do you use? Most come with longer tubing...
  • Options
    I put mine more on my side in my hip a little towards my back which works very well for clipping to bra. You can also try the upper butt. And some infusion sets come in longer tubing if you need.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    leylacorbett1leylacorbett1 member
    edited June 2015
    I use the sure-t, 23 inch. Just ordered 3 boxes of them too. I have never tried the arms or the butt....the butt would
    Be difficult id imagine, how do you see what you're doing? I struggle to turn enough to get it in a hip.
  • Options

I use the sure-t, 23 inch. Just ordered 3 boxes of them too. I have never tried the arms or the butt....the butt would
    Be difficult id imagine, how do you see what you're doing? I struggle to turn enough to get it in a hip.

I get my hubby to help me when it's a hard to reach spot.
  • Options
    2 hours after breakfast and I'm 257. Placed new infusion set this morning. Hate the waiting game of "hmm...is it me? Or is it poor absorption due to faulty infusion site?" These are the times I feel like cursing diabetes and throwing my pump against a wall.
  • Options
    I would call medtronic and see if they offer sure-t with longer tubing. I have tried my upper butt area and the insulin absorption was terrible. Maybe the needle length was too short.
  • Options
    I also tried a new infusion set last month where the actual needle stays in instead of leaving the plastic cannula. It absorbs so much better.
  • Options
    Thanks for starting this discussion, I have more luck putting my infusion sets on my lower hip, its easy to reach (for now lol)& I switch off to my tummy every other week. I have never tried my thighs,..worried about the absorbtion there. I imagine once my belly gets bigger & harder it will be difficult to place an infusion set
  • Options
    leylacorbett1leylacorbett1 member
    edited June 2015
    Has anyone ever braved inserting infusion set into pregnant hard tummy?
  • Options

Has anyone ever braved inserting infusion set into pregnant hard tummy?

My doctor told me not to do that. She said to absorb properly you need a little fat.
  • Options
    I use my thigh or upper butt and clip the pump to my pants or underwear (if I am wearing a dress).  To combat the absorption, I try to take my insulin 30 to 45 minutes before I eat something if I think it will make my blood sugar rise on the faster side (higher carb, lower protein).  I use my arms for the CGM but my husband needs to put it in for me.
  • Options
    I have resorted to my thighs, but had to get sure t's with longer tubing so it reaches my bra to clip.